Future Megane RS owner looking for enlightening

CRS

Hello,

First of all, I want to apologize if this topic was already discussed. I tried searching for it and looking on the already opened topics but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Basically I am looking to buy a Megane RS MY starting with 2014 but I've encountered some issues trying to figure out what are the differences between RS 265, RS 275 Trophy and RS 275 Trophy R (except the obvious difference in HP).

My main question is: all of them have the LSD? And also, what are other mechanical differences between these 3 versions? As far as I know for sure, the Trophy R has no AC and is also lightened in various other ways (I'm not interested in that) with main purpose being to go on a race track, but the other versions I have no idea what are the differences.

Also I've seen that there are two chassis versions, CUP and Sport but couldn't find the differences.

Can you please help out a future Megane RS owner?

Thank you!

If the main purpose is the track then Trophy R is really the best option. Nearly all T-Rs sold in Oz have A/C and R-Link which apparently adds a whopping 7kg to the Ring spec record holder.

The one on Carsales is an ex-press car that has been treated as such and required significant repairs following a media expedition. Plus the current owner has modified it including painting the roof rails and has used it in a number of competitive events.

I'm not looking to get the car to go to the track with it. Mostly for city rides and occasionally road trips. So I'm looking at comfort also.

Basically I am looking to get one that has the following as options:
- automated AC
- R-Link with RS Monitor
- BOSE sound system (I can skip this one)
- 18" rims (if if comes with 19" I can change them anyway)
- LSD (mandatory if I stick to an RS)

Which is the lowest version that has all these? Is it the CUP version? What are the mechanical differences between all versions past 2014? 

Welcome and good choice!

Don't worry, it's all very confusing. Just as well you're not looking at pre 2014 models as this has caused many strokes and aneurysms in the past.

For 2014 models you're looking at the cup, cup premium, and 275 trophy, then of course the 275 trophy R.

The cup is great, has all you need for being fast and having fun. As far as I know it doesn't have reversing camera.

The cup premium has one, and leather Recaro sportster CS seats.

275 trophy has Alcantara bits and pieces and lightweight wheels, and akrapovic exhaust.

The rest, as below.

- automated AC - all have this
- R-Link with RS Monitor - all have this
- BOSE sound system (I can skip this one) - all have crap sound system
- 18" rims (if if comes with 19" I can change them anyway) - 265 cup comes with this, 19" on 265 cup premium, and lightweight 19" on 275 trophy
- LSD (mandatory if I stick to an RS) - all have this

What I'd suggest is post up what you're looking at and we can comment on what we think it is - many are misrepresented in ads.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chuckovski said:

For 2014 models you're looking at the cup, cup premium, and 275 trophy, then of course the 275 trophy R.

automated AC - all have this
- LSD (mandatory if I stick to an RS) - all have this

To make matters confusing, don’t forget the RS265 Sport in Pacific Blue only. This has no LSD and manual AC only, not climate control

1 minute ago, chuckovski said:
1 minute ago, Dave200 said:
To make matters confusing, don’t forget the RS265 Sport in Pacific Blue only. This has no LSD and manual AC only, not climate control

That was 2013 though wasn't it?

MY14 , May 2014 to be precise

Thank you, chuckovski!

Are there any lower versions than the cup one? I'm afraid I would get one without LSD and I don't want that. because then I can look at GT220. For now I'm just exploring the market. I'm planning on buying one in September, October (saving some more money in the meanwhile). 

As for the options, I got it. No BOSE sound system. I can add a better one later, same for the camera. I can retrofit one. 

If I had the money now I would look at these 2: 

https://www.autoscout24.ro/oferte/renault-megane-coupe-tce-275-r-s-trophy-benzina-alb-1dd6f262-b3d7-4c65-9617-311bdd889757?cldtidx=3&cldtsrc=listPage

or 

https://www.mobile.de/ro/Automobil/Renault-Megane-Coupe-TCe-265-Renault-Sport/vhc:car,srt:price,sro:asc,ms1:20700_17_,frn:2014,prx:17500,ful:petrol,mlx:100000,pwn:147,dmg:false,vcg:cabrio!limousine!sportscar!smallcar!othercar/pg:vipcar/297235693.html

I know first one is not a Trophy. Is it a cup? I'm also guessing it doesn't have 275 HP but 265. Right? 

Second one is a cup as well, right? 

Thank you, chuckovski!
Are there any lower versions than the cup one? I'm afraid I would get one without LSD and I don't want that. because then I can look at GT220. For now I'm just exploring the market. I'm planning on buying one in September, October (saving some more money in the meanwhile). 
As for the options, I got it. No BOSE sound system. I can add a better one later, same for the camera. I can retrofit one. 
If I had the money now I would look at these 2: 
https://www.autoscout24.ro/oferte/renault-megane-coupe-tce-275-r-s-trophy-benzina-alb-1dd6f262-b3d7-4c65-9617-311bdd889757?cldtidx=3&cldtsrc=listPage
or 
https://www.mobile.de/ro/Automobil/Renault-Megane-Coupe-TCe-265-Renault-Sport/vhc:car,srt:price,sro:asc,ms1:20700_17_,frn:2014,prx:17500,ful:petrol,mlx:100000,pwn:147,dmg:false,vcg:cabrio!limousine!sportscar!smallcar!othercar/pg:vipcar/297235693.html
I know first one is not a Trophy. Is it a cup? I'm also guessing it doesn't have 275 HP but 265. Right? 
Second one is a cup as well, right? 
Well I think we might be less helpful given the location of those cars! What was brought to Australia wasn't always what was offered overseas. Sorry!

That's quite sad :( . You guys are the first actually active community of Megane owners I've found so far. And I did some diggings. Don't be sorry, you've helped me shed some light on all the Megane's versions. 

• Like 1

That's quite sad [emoji20] . You guys are the first actually active community of Megane owners I've found so far. And I did some diggings. Don't be sorry, you've helped me shed some light on all the Megane's versions. 
If I had to guess I'd say they would both have the LSD. The reason why I would hesitate to give any particular advice is that the one with cloth seats never came with the 19" steeve wheels in Australia, so I'm not sure what what it would come with.

I know in the UK they had the sports suspension/chassis that didn't come with the LSD, but I'm unsure what wheels etc it came with.

Do you have any mechanics who know these cars well who can look them over for you? And how helpful is your national Renault in running VIN to tell you what it has?

From what I know the 250 Sport is the only one not having an LSD. Everything else (250 Cup or with Cup package, 265 and 275) will have an LSD over here in Europe. I'm not 100% sure on the ones from the French Gendarmerie but guess you're not going to get one of these anyway.

I'm from a German RS community cliors.de/meganers.de. You're welcome to ask your questions over there in the Megane 3 RS area. Most people will understand and know at least enough rudimentary English to help you out.

• Like 1

On 20/04/2020 at 11:52 PM, Marsch said:

From what I know the 250 Sport is the only one not having an LSD.

Thats interesting, the Sport here was the 265, not the 250. It also came in Pacific Blue which was the Gendarmerie colour AFAIK

3 hours ago, Dave200 said:

Thats interesting, the Sport here was the 265, not the 250. It also came in Pacific Blue which was the Gendarmerie colour AFAIK

Yes it was.  It was an attempt to strip out some stuff from the higher specced cars to bring a lower price point, basing it on the French Police version, which also eliminated the push button start and there was also a separate button to turn off the stop/start mechanism I believe and dial rather than climate control aircon I understand (all based on the French Police requirements, which were lower spec).

In Europe they may well have had different mixes of the Cup versus Sport suspension acrtoss the models whereas in Australia we received only the Cup suspension (excepy for the French Police blue ones discussed above).

For what it is worth to the OP, you definitely will want the Perfohub and LSD as it makes the Meg the special vehicle it is.

As for the Trophy R, it is the special of the special, as it has the composite springs and the Ohlins suspension, as well as the Akrapovic exhaust, no sound deadening and two seats of course (which also means no rear airbags and the like reducing the overall weight).  

Oh and one last thing, if you are looking at a 265 or 275, there's not much between them and they all response rather nicely to a little bit of a tune... 👍