Looking for a Clio

Caduceus

G'day,

I joined the forum just to do some research but thought I'd say hi.  I used to own two cars, a bit of a "hi-lo mix" so to speak.  A BMW M2 and a VW Up.  My Up was recently written off in a very minor accident so I'm looking to replace my daily driver.  Despite its low cost, it was a really enjoyable daily  and allowed me to keep the M2 as a special occasion car.  I modded the Up with some KW coilers and wider RE003 tyres so it was a hoot.  Gutless though.  I'm looking to build on the compact car go-cart experience but looking bring it up a level or two.  Natural successors would be a Fiesta ST, a Polo GTI or a Clio Cup.  I'm strongly drawn to the latter which is why I'm here.

Budget is $15-20k and I think I should be able to get a decent series III in manual.  I already track the M2 and I will definitely track the Clio if/when I get one.  We have a few Renault guys come to the BMW club track days and the Megane's they drive have really impressed me.  I understand that preferring manual eliminates later model cars.  The M2 is DCT and while awesome, it will take a lot to convince me not to buy a manual this time around.

Any tips or low down on cars currently for sale are welcome.

Thanks!

Greg.

Edited by Caduceus

Hi mate. I just bought an A&D Clio after having three Meganes in a row, the last a Trophy R.  I’m really loving the Clio - yes it’s slower until you really wind it up, but it’s great fun, it rockets round corners and with the Akrapovic it sounds nuts.

I enquired on a few before I bought mine:

Theres a red A&D for sale in Queensland - the owner has spent a bit on maintenance after buying it in May.  I think he’s had the belts done and also third gear synchro fixed. It looks in very good condition.

Theres a grey A&D in Victoria for $24990. It’s got a few track focused mods already, a harness bar and lowered springs etc. I went back and forth with him for bloody days trying to buy his car but in the end he stuffed me around so I went elsewhere. I’m still trying to work out if he actually wants to sell it!

Lastly, I enquired on the gloss red 2010 Clio for $13750. Great car with good mods, but I wanted leather Recaro’s.

My tips: I am not a fan of Renault fabric. It stains easily and is hard to clean, which is why I always get leather. Apparently third gear synchro is weak and often causes issues - I have no idea why - my car feels just as good as all the Megs I’ve had - maybe some people just can’t change gears properly?

As for the rest, all the usual applies - service history, in good nick etc etc.

I am loving mine!

• Like 1

Only 13 cars on carsales at the moment so it's slim pickings. I'd say this one https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Renault-Clio-2012/SSE-AD-5851951/?Cr=8 or this one https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Renault-Clio-2012/SSE-AD-5610171/?Cr=3

The yellow one could have an incomplete history so check that out.

You'll need to check that the synchros are OK. They can fail if abused. Other than that, they are solid cars. Timing belts are due every 4 years. Allow 1K for that. Make sure you get a thorough pre purchase check by someone who knows what to look for. Be prepared to travel for the right car. Most of us end up buying interstate. You'll love it! :smile2:

• Like 1

Thank you both so far.  I intend contacting the owner of the Toro A&D in Brisbane since that car is local for me.  I've read what I can on matte paint and if I had space in the garage, it would be a non-issue and I'd be happy to take care of it properly.  However, this would be a third car for the household so unfortunately, it will live in the driveway.  I'm a bit dubious how well it will stand up to outdoor life since it can't be clay barred or polished if it starts to get a bit weathered.  But then again, I prefer to drive it than look at it so maybe it doesn't matter.

The red car in Victoria looks nice but has higher k's and has been modded.  It would need to pass a QLD roadworthy and it would be a hassle to buy it then find out the suspension won't pass rego or something else that I'd need to fix.  But it's not like the owner has gone nuts - it's pretty tastefully done.  The current wheels/tyres and brake pads suggest likely track use but provided maintenance is up to date, probably not a big deal.  It's priced lower on account of mods and k's.

If either owner is on here and wants to DM me, please do.

Edited by Caduceus

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2019 at 4:37 PM, SnowCup said:

How about this one, a call to Renotech (who we all love) will confirm condition:

Done deal!  I'm now the proud new owner of this car.  Thank you very much to Deb for offering her car to me in such terrific condition and the patience needed to manage an interstate purchase.  The car is fantastic.  I flew down to Sydney on Saturday and drove it back to Brisbane over the weekend.  I'll post a more detailed introduction and review once I've spent a bit more time with the car but so far, it's just delightful.  I know I'm preaching to the choir...LOL.

A couple of things to do this week.  I've got it booked in for a QLD roadworthy tomorrow which is necessary to change to rego over.  Then the RACQ are coming around on Wednesday to repair a very minor stone chip I picked up on the windscreen near Tamworth on the drive home.  It's tiny but best repaired and simple to do.

This photo was taken today.  I haven't even had time to wash it yet but you wouldn't know from looking at it the car had done a 1000k road trip, including several hours at night.  A couple of bugs on the gloss black bumper but otherwise, it hardly shows any dirt at all.

IMG_4416.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Caduceus said:

Done deal!  I'm now the proud new owner of this car.  Thank you very much to Deb for offering her car to me in such terrific condition and the patience needed to manage an interstate purchase.  The car is fantastic.  I flew down to Sydney on Saturday and drove it back to Brisbane over the weekend.  I'll post a more detailed introduction and review once I've spent a bit more time with the car but so far, it's just delightful.  I know I'm preaching to the choir...LOL.

A couple of things to do this week.  I've got it booked in for a QLD roadworthy tomorrow which is necessary to change to rego over.  Then the RACQ are coming around on Wednesday to repair a very minor stone chip I picked up on the windscreen near Tamworth on the drive home.  It's tiny but best repaired and simple to do.

This photo was taken today.  I haven't even had time to wash it yet but you wouldn't know from looking at it the car had done a 1000k road trip, including several hours at night.  A couple of bugs on the gloss black bumper but otherwise, it hardly shows any dirt at all.

IMG_4416.jpg

Congratulations! As I’ve found, matte grey is fantastic at hiding dust. I love it.

• Like 1