Another offset question - 15x7 32 offset 172

quangb

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if a 15x7 32 offset would fit a 172? Stock car but maybe will be lowered in future with eibachs. I will be putting him front camber bolts. 

Scouring the forum and the net I've seen that most people say that 35 is pretty much the limit.

Does anyone have any wheels that are 15x7 with offset at 32 or lower?

Thanks for your help. 

Jsr, 

I was looking at these

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/liverpool/wheels-tyres-rims/lenso-spec-v-15-inch-4x100-honda-mazda-toyota-nissan-mazda/1211224117

I know that the 172 is finicky with calipers clearances this comes down to how the rim is shaped 

I think the profile of this one is straight enough on the back that it should be fine for calipers but I'm not sure about the offset as a lot of recommendations I've seen seem to say no more than 35 or even 38. 

9 hours ago, quangb said:

Jsr, 

I was looking at these

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/liverpool/wheels-tyres-rims/lenso-spec-v-15-inch-4x100-honda-mazda-toyota-nissan-mazda/1211224117

I know that the 172 is finicky with calipers clearances this comes down to how the rim is shaped 

I think the profile of this one is straight enough on the back that it should be fine for calipers but I'm not sure about the offset as a lot of recommendations I've seen seem to say no more than 35 or even 38. 

I use these on my race car.  The are a great light weight (5.1kg?) wheel for a good price.  From the car has stub axle spacers and with 205/50 they just fit inside the guards, and where they don't a hammer gives the clearance.

On the front can't really say as I don't use standard calipers, and run a hub spacer but they do fit over my 4 spot calipers.

DSCF4769.thumb.JPG.f250371d7f67e56a74189a7e8738dc2e.JPG

Mark

PS.  Yep this is a 215/50 tyre, but they wont fit on the rear and wanted to have all wheel/tyres interchangeable.

1 hour ago, Clio43 said:

I use these on my race car.  The are a great light weight (5.1kg?) wheel for a good price.  From the car has stub axle spacers and with 205/50 they just fit inside the guards, and where they don't a hammer gives the clearance.

On the front can't really say as I don't use standard calipers, and run a hub spacer but they do fit over my 4 spot calipers.

Mark

PS.  Yep this is a 215/50 tyre, but they wont fit on the rear and wanted to have all wheel/tyres interchangeable.

Based on what Mark has said. If these wheels clear the rear caliper, then clearance on the front on standard calipers wont be an issue (the stock rear caliper hangs out further than the fronts).

If the rear wheels slightly touch the rear calipers.... an angle grinder will help. Its what i did

6 hours ago, Clio43 said:

Mark

Hi Mark, 

Thanks for your reply. Good to see that someone else is also using these on their car.

"From the car has stub axle spacers and with 205/50 they just fit inside the guards"

Sorry, can you clarify, for a 205 tyre, you are running spacers for both the front and the rear?

What depth are the spacers you are using? 

Do the wheels clear the rear caliper without the spacers? or because you are running stub axle spacers you can't answer that question?

But essentially, even with spacers and a 205 tyre, for this wheel you have front and rear guard clearance? is your car lowered and do your wheels have camber adjustment?

Thanks again

Sorry, I should  have proof read my writing.

The spacers fitted to the car are to widen the track as much as possible, nothing about brake clearance .  The wheels fit over the standard rear caliper no problems, but I think that they may have had some minor grinding to fit some other wheels that I have previously used.

Rear stud axles are fitted with camber spacers, which from memory are 5 mm.  This widens the track and takes the caliper with it, ie not wheel spacers.

Front has 10 or 15 mm wheel spacers, which fit to the hub and moves the wheel outboard but leaves the caliper in the normal position.  I have not tested the front wheel with out the spacers over my calipers.

Neg camber is fair bit on the rear and lots on the front, probably a lot more than you would ever consider on a road.

Hope that this makes sense.

Mark

To the OP, ET32 will give you more clearance to the caliper than ET38 so should be fine. The issue on Clios is clearance to the rear brake caliper, as stated above.

I've seen a 7.5" rims ET25 on a Clio with minor guard rolling, so while I'd still advise a test fit, I'd be pretty confident you'd be fine with the Lensos you posted.

21 hours ago, Clio43 said:

Sorry, I should  have proof read my writing.

The spacers fitted to the car are to widen the track as much as possible, nothing about brake clearance .  The wheels fit over the standard rear caliper no problems, but I think that they may have had some minor grinding to fit some other wheels that I have previously used.

Rear stud axles are fitted with camber spacers, which from memory are 5 mm.  This widens the track and takes the caliper with it, ie not wheel spacers.

Front has 10 or 15 mm wheel spacers, which fit to the hub and moves the wheel outboard but leaves the caliper in the normal position.  I have not tested the front wheel with out the spacers over my calipers.

Neg camber is fair bit on the rear and lots on the front, probably a lot more than you would ever consider on a road.

Hope that this makes sense.

Mark

Hi Mark, 

Thanks for clarifying. 

All makes sense now, which now jim60ts comment also makes sense now :). 

Are you able to see how much clearance there is between the wheel and your rear caliper by any chance?  or confirm if the caliper has been grinded away?

18 hours ago, walkie86 said:

To the OP, ET32 will give you more clearance to the caliper than ET38 so should be fine. The issue on Clios is clearance to the rear brake caliper, as stated above.

I've seen a 7.5" rims ET25 on a Clio with minor guard rolling, so while I'd still advise a test fit, I'd be pretty confident you'd be fine with the Lensos you posted.

Walkie86,

Thanks, yeah given that mark says he may have had his calipers grinded that is the the only unknown. I'll have to see if there is a wheel local to me to test fit. I figure the design of the spokes on the wheel look to be pretty flat so i was more concerned with guard clearance. 

Thanks everyone for your help so far. 

On 22/05/2019 at 7:33 PM, Clio43 said:

Looking at the rear calipers they have had some grinding but, not that much.  I can put my finger between the caliper and spokes of the wheel, so there seems like that there is heaps of clearance.

Mark

Awesome, that's good news. Thanks for all your help!