Chatroom?

Dish

Would you use an in-house chatroom if available?  

1. 1. Would you use an in-house chatroom if available?

• Yes, I'd chat online to fellow Renaultsporters
    • No, who'd wanna talk to you freaks?
    • uncertain fence-sitter

Hello Boys & Girls,

Was wondering if a chatroom plug-in was available for this BBS? And if that was the case, would members be interested? I ask this only because the Yahoo site has the facility, but it's seldom used, if at all.

Curious, Dish.

• 1 year later...

Personally I'd recommend an IRC channel. IRC is, for those of who've been online a while, the de facto standard chat facility. A lot of us (Well, me) are already on IRC, and joining another channel is pretty easy.

I'd recommend mIRC for the Windows users, and Colloquy for Macs. For servers, EFNet is the biggest (the list of servers is built in to mIRC). Currently I'm using efnet.demon.co.uk as a server, but any of the EFNet servers linked above will do.

I suggest this because, typically, webchat requires an open browser window and a fair amount of dedication to keep it populated. IRC typically doesn't suffer the endless string of people joining, sticking around for a few minutes and leaving 'cause no one else is there.

Or something, you know. Whatever, what do I know? =)

Anyway, I'm on EFNet now, channel #ozrenault. Feel free to drop by.

[edit] I set up a java IRC page. You can use this to try out the whole IRC thing before going and changing your life by downloading mIRC.

Simply navigate to this page: http://nfg.2y.net/temp/irc/

I have run a number of IRC chat rooms in the past, and integrated IRC into the website also.. they tend to work quite well.

Typically because we are in Australia, I'd recommend an Aussie IRC server such as austnet..

Thoughts?

I'm guessing that the "chat" won't be historically retained - so concern is that we'd not retain important info that is currently stored/archived in posts. Anyone know of somewhere else where this concept is working? Provide a link to it maybe?

I'm against picking alternate servers for our purposes. EFNet is the oldest and the biggest IRC network, with the most servers. Most IRC users are already there. By selecting an alternate server you're forcing people who are using IRC already to join two servers. It may not be a BIG pain in the ass, but it's a pain nonetheless. Personally I find having to manage more than one server a serious irritation, no matter how wonderful the company.

BTW: http://nfg.2y.net/temp/irc/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

(chant) CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM,

CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM,

CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM,

CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM,CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM,

you get the point! CHAT ROOM all the way :headbang:

What a whore I just realised you only joined under a month ago!!!

Go outside get some air or something

OMG... i never realised that!

Hahahaha.

Brendan... are u permanently in front of your computer or something?

LOL

you answered within 10 secs..Yes I counted...Think i'll leave my job now & go see my wife your making me feel weird

Hey, how did you think i won my car? I didn't go outside and walk around like a lost puppy, i sat in front of the computer and entered as much as i could.....

Call me a whore all you want, but hey, i got a car to show for it :twisted::twisted::twisted:

....now back on topic, i am eagerly awaiting your return :twisted::twisted::twisted: :twisted:

I honestly couldn't see the point of a chatroom. The community we've got here isn't big enough to support something like this IMO. You would have like 3-4 users on during most of the day, maybe a few more if you're lucky. I spend enough time on the forum let alone adding a chatroom.

Hey Luis,

looky what i just found...... calling me whore hey?........ look at yourself :mrgreen::mrgreen:

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3001

Now you need to go outside and get some air my friend :D ..........btw, how are those early mornign walks to the train station treating ya?

Cold???...muahahah :twisted::twisted::twisted::mrgreen:

I honestly couldn't see the point of a chatroom. The community we've got here isn't big enough to support something like this IMO. You would have like 3-4 users on during most of the day, maybe a few more if you're lucky. I spend enough time on the forum let alone adding a chatroom.

Agreed. If we regularly had 20 users online at once it might start to make sense.

1. FWIW = For What It's Worth

2. What do you need a 'trial' for? The channel's open, just go.

In the last couple of hours two people have popped in for ~2 minutes each without saying a word. It's a CHAT room, people! :wink: