Gtir Owner Looking To Go Modern

precision06

So Ive owned a 93 Nissan Pulsar GTiR for the best part of 10 years and figure it's time to go a bit more modern.

The test drives start this weekend with a 2014 Megane RS 275 Trophy. (Hope I typed that right) With other similar cars to follow. 

In a perfect world Id like to have a good look at this 

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/_/OAG-AD-13546484

Or This

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2015/SSE-AD-4249804/?Cr=8

But both are a distance away and I don't know the pit falls of owning this seemingly incredible machine. So I'm starting here.

If anyone has any thoughts that I should take into this purchasing decision id love to hear them. For example

Is the 265 just as much of a car, is the Trophy R a waste of money. How many KM is too many to purchase this car? 

Anyways ill be scanning these pages to find out more! Thanks for reading;)

Welcome!

Anything that new the only pitfalls will be the usual buying a non-brand new car - clear title, service record etc. 

The Trophy R in WA is something someone looked into not too long ago. They were worried by the lack of Nurburging Green Hell kit and I think they had varying ideas on what the limited edition number was. Both were red flags in my mind but if you were close by definitely recommend a look. Also if they gave you the VIN you could always call Renault Australia and ask them what they know about the car. 

In regards to the differences, some would say there's basically no difference between a 250 and a 275. You could easily tune a 250 to a 275 and many on the forum have done beyond that successfully. 

Some things to be aware of are that post July 2014 any car sold regardless of build date got the 5yr warranty. A good example is my car! 2013 manufactured, sold after July 2014, warranty expires 2019. That meant that I got the cornering bixenon lights which I think are the best option available! Any facelifted megane built after mid 2014 cannot come with them sadly. However with the 275 you get lightweight wheels, alcantara Recaro seats, and an Akrapovic exhaust. Is it worth over 10K more? Well that's up to you to figure out what your priorities are. 

You can get 265s with recaro seats, you can remove the centre resonator which results in lots of pops, crackles, and bangs, without any drone issues. The wheels may or may not make too much difference depending how good you are at driving! 

If you get any prefacelift megane apart from the RB8 you don't get the RS monitor 2.0 which is a handy bit of kit but I've survived somehow without it =)

In regards to Trophy R, well it is regarded as one of the best vehicles ever built by many owners, reviewers, and people who also own a GT3. If you can get into one I'd recommend it. If you need rear seats, look somewhere else! 

Keep searching through the forums, lots and lots of info, and the people here are very helpful. 

Where are you located? 

• Like 4

Welcome ! All Meganes are good just depends on what options you like / need

The trophy R is a very special car , collectible and good value

Ditto the above two posts.  The Trophy is the "sensible person's" Trophy R, as it has some of the tasty bits (like the Akro exhaust) but still has the rear seats.  All leather wrapped, with Alcantera highlights in the cabin.

The Trophy R is pretty much a bonkers machine for he (or she) that doesn't require back seats (there aren't any), sound deadening (there isn't any), spare wheel (there isn't one), rear wiper (ditto - sans that too), but is enticed by the extra goodies such as fixed back Recaro Pole Position seats in leather and Alcantera, Ohlins adjustable suspension all round (magic, and worth it for this alone IMO), composite springs (world first, and only on the R - works in unison with the Ohlins to defy the laws of physics being both compliant in the real world while sticking like the proverbial to a blanket when the red mist sights a twisty road), rear strut brace (in red - goes faster), factory supplied harnesses, tyre covers, lithium battery and bigger two piece front rotors all on 19 inch rims shod with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres (same as fitted to the GT3 and some other tasty top end cars now with an extra zero on the price tag).

All this absence of stuff trims the weight of the Meg down to about that of a Clio IV, but with almost double the power and torque.  In the real world, it adds up to one hell of a lot of "go fast and corner well", at a price that belies belief looking at some of them on the market now second hand.

Oh, and 5 year warranty, including covering track use, meaning that even the first batch (there were two batches of delivery of the 50 examples to arrive down under) has almost three years of warranty remaining.  Sweet!

I suggest you go and drive them for yourself (a bit hard to drive the Trophy R if it's in WA, but there will be others closer I imagine), and maybe compare the Trophy to the Trophy R back to back.  Best way to tell the differences, which are actually considerable.

As for the 250/265 models.  Lots of info on here how to extract quite a bit more from them.  Some will even be quicker than a Trophy R when modded, for sure, but they won't have the exclusive bits that, to me, make the R a very special machine.

Horses for courses, but you cannot really go wrong buying a well kept, much loved Meg.  Watch out for dogs, as there are a few of them about too.

Good luck, I look forward to hearing how you went.  If you cannot find a Trophy R to drive, asking nicely might encourage a member on here close to you to let you have a drive.  Recommended...   :mrgreen:

• Like 6

I drove a demoTrophy R (the salesman didn't come with me :)) and it blew me away. The Cup 2 tyres had a lot to do with it but it's the combination of everything Jason explained above that makes it what it is - amazing.

The exhaust sound (sorry, I can't call it a 'note' - it's a vicious hissing punctuated by a few loud pops) isn't anywhere near as nice as my de resonated 265, and I prefer the leather, back seats, front and rear park sensors and liquid yellow of my car, but the driving experience - that Trophy R was something else. I've never cornered on four wheels so fast in my life!

I reckon a modded 250/265 is 9/10ths of a Trophy R for a lot less. Comes down to what you want and need. Any RS will be a good drive.

^^ that.

I'm enraptured with my 265 8:08, and with a tune it's as quick as (or quicker than) an R in a straight line. You need to look at the R as the GT3 RS of the series - it's pretty uncompromising but ultimately that last 10% elevates it well above the rest of the range if you can tolerate the narrower operating window. I can't, as my ride doubles as a commuter and school run vehicle, and generally I'm happy with that compromise. But, deep down, I have serious R-envy :wink:

If you have the means, the opportunity, an understanding partner and no kids, get the R. Otherwise, get a 265 and be happy.

(Disclaimer: 265 owners can only be truly happy if it's in Liquid Yellow. Other colours may provide lesser levels of happiness)

Edited by aress
  • Like 3

Capsicum red!

I know. You always seem moderately happy :)

• Like 2

The above post, No152, I'm sold! Where do I sign up? :P

Do it!!   :twisted:

I know. You always seem moderately happy :)

It's hard not to love your work Rory!!  :mrgreen:

• Like 1

Well come to think of it I am guilty of thinking about wanting to possibly maybe sell my car once... And I flagellate myself every time I remember it

Yes I do recall that. Never happy to a LY owner :wink:

If you ever get that shameful feeling again just call me, I'll talk sense into you.

• Like 1

Yes I do recall that. Never happy to a LY owner :wink:

If you ever get that shameful feeling again just call me, I'll talk sense into you.

That's very kind but I just go for a drive when that thought crosses my mind

In my defense it was because I was thinking about a trophy R, and any fleeting thought is due to seeing 275s for sale :)

• Like 1

That's very kind but I just go for a drive when that thought crosses my mind

In my defense it was because I was thinking about a trophy R, and any fleeting thought is due to seeing 275s for sale :)

They have both of them in LY too...  Sorry Chuck, I'm probably not helping...  :roll:

Great advice across the board. Thanks for the welcome! So 265 to save on cost or a 275 Trophy R if the boss is willing:) Perfect. 

I test drove the Trophy and its very planted. The suspension setup is excellent. It did lack a certain visceral feeling/sound when at full noise, but I guess thats how new Turbos motors are. 

The car yard wouldnt budge from the $49K asking price, and said all the other examples were rubbish, or leant out to Magazines and thrashed etc... However, their's had scratched Rims and a full nest of spiders living in the door hinge. And a weird grotty stain over the Trophy sticker on the rear of the car... 

Im located in Canberra, and there is an R model down this way with the red rims. Its growing on me... and its cheaper than the Trophy at the dealer. He said I could check it out whenever was convenient. A few articles suggest the R model is the real deal...

A few articles suggest the R model is the real deal...

They are!!!  Go drive one, throw it into some fast corners (don't back off) and collect smile-miles...  :mrgreen: