New White Megane 3 Rs Owner (Soon)

iGor

Hi everyone

Have just convinced myself that I will be purchasing a white RS when the right car pops up, after seeing a White 275 Premium in person today and sitting in it - love at first sight.

Unfortunately budget is limited to around $27K (need to spare funds for a house), so facelift Meganes are out of the question.. :(

Anyway, I was wondering if there is a difference in chassis stiffness between a Cup and Trophy variant (asking about 265's specifically)? Someone told me all RS Trophy variants have stiffer chassis than the Cup counterpart.

I was under the impression that only the Clio RS220 Trophy LE has a stiffer chassis compared to its Cup models.

Cheers

iGor

There is no difference between Trophy or CUP in the Meg RS delivered in australia all have the same chassis set up.

only thing that could make the ride more compliant is if you went 18" over the 19" Rims. Except the 275s where the Ohlin suspension was introduced.

The best way to look at it is in the trim configuration and optional extra's like the Recaros (A must) and the Bi-Xenons (Much better in the pre facelift models)

there is only 1 variant of the 265 that is NOT a Cup and loses out on the LSD as well as a stiffer chassis and that was the "Limited Sport" edition.

they only came in one colour which is a special Gendarmerie blue --> http://s3.caradvice.com.au/thumb/960/477/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Renault-Gendarmerie-FRT34-white-bg-1.jpg

otherwise it is only a features and trim difference all mechanicals and chassis are the exact same.

Cheers

Sam.

Edited by kaesh
  • Like 4

Great summary Sam

• Like 2

If you have a look at 265 trophy + models out there they're nearing your price range and have all the luxury addons. No recaros though.

I reckon for the price now they are spectacular value.

Eg

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2013/SSE-AD-3751922

I'm certainly not vouching for the car, just giving a good example of low km and great price.

Given you're looking at pre-facelifts, recommend get one with xenons if you do any night driving. They look better from the outside vs the halogen headlight units, and the cornering function of the xenons is fantastic.

If I were you I'd probably be getting on a plane to Canberra to pick up this - http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2012/SSE-AD-3729461/?Cr=14

Or maybe this - http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2012/SSE-AD-3829796/?Cr=16

There's a difference in the whites - the Trophy+ is Glacier White, which is a flat white. The Trophy 8:08 was a special edition with pearl white paint. Nicer colour but higher chance paint has defects in it.

Plus 1 for the pearl white. Cracker of a colour!!!

There is no difference between Trophy or CUP in the Meg RS delivered in australia all have the same chassis set up.

only thing that could make the ride more compliant is if you went 18" over the 19" Rims. Except the 275s where the Ohlin suspension was introduced.

The best way to look at it is in the trim configuration and optional extra's like the Recaros (A must) and the Bi-Xenons (Much better in the pre facelift models)

there is only 1 variant of the 265 that is NOT a Cup and loses out on the LSD as well as a stiffer chassis and that was the "Limited Sport" edition.

they only came in one colour which is a special Gendarmerie blue --> http://s3.caradvice.com.au/thumb/960/477/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Renault-Gendarmerie-FRT34-white-bg-1.jpg

otherwise it is only a features and trim difference all mechanicals and chassis are the exact same.

Cheers

Sam.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm currently only after 18'' rims, unless I can get 19'' Speedlines  :mrgreen:

Not feeling the look of 19'' Steevs, nor the 19'' with the red lip.

Also have doubts about the Recaros.. Would there be a difference in comfort if compared to standard seats? I've sat in a Clio 220 Trophy, and albeit very nice looking, the Recaro felt quite terrible. Too stiff and too "racey" for street driving IMO. I wouldn't mind getting standard seats in leather, for futureproofing...

Given you're looking at pre-facelifts, recommend get one with xenons if you do any night driving. They look better from the outside vs the halogen headlight units, and the cornering function of the xenons is fantastic.

If I were you I'd probably be getting on a plane to Canberra to pick up this - http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2012/SSE-AD-3729461/?Cr=14

Or maybe this - http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2012/SSE-AD-3829796/?Cr=16

There's a difference in the whites - the Trophy+ is Glacier White, which is a flat white. The Trophy 8:08 was a special edition with pearl white paint. Nicer colour but higher chance paint has defects in it.

My two concerns about Trophy models are as above. 19inch wheels and Recaros.

How easy is it to find used 18'' Tibor alloys? Or even the 5 spoke 18'' from 250s? Maybe I can trade the 19''s for someone's 18''s?  :mrgreen:

Thanks guys  :biggrin:

the 18" 250 rims are much nicer IMO and seem to be more popular then the Tibors.

quite hard to find though, One member on here spent quite a few months trying to find a set.

I can only speak about the standard seats in the 250 and 265s as mine was a CUP, they were comfy even after drives that lasted well over 4hrs and at the track they performed ok.

I had some trouble in hard cornering but otherwise a good daily.

I've only briefly sat in the Recaro's and they are different from the 220, they felt lower then my standard seats but had good bolstering.

Get the Recaro's and put some 18" rims on and you will probably negate some of the concerns you have :)

Cheers

Sam.

So I drove a 275 Premium with Recaros... if pre-FL Recaros are similar in comfort, then will most definitely opt for standard seats.

Damn those Recaros are firm. There is no give whatsoever, especially the back rest. For daily purposes I don't think I can cope... :mellow:

Haha thank you for your offer, but I'm pretty set on white  :mrgreen: Will let you know if I change my mind.

Another general question: I've noticed some base 250 (non-trophee) and base 265 are with and without bi-xenons. Are they optional extra on every model?

The Recaros are the same in every model, they are just trimmed differently (Mine are full cloth with leather side bolsters, the 275 Cup Premium is Alcantara with leather side bolsters).

I actually get a really stiff back because of scoliosis and I have no issues whatsoever with the Recaros. I find them much, much better than standard seats in just about any car. We regularly take my car for trips up to the Sunshine Coast and I have no issues.

If you're looking for around a 2012 model, you might want to look at the Trophy+. They missed out on the Recaros, but they have full leather trim. Someone else who was looking at my car ended up going with one for that exact reason.

acrRS250's pearl white Monaco is in pretty good nick. Saw it on the weekend...