New Rs200 Owner

Landfall

HI, decided to trade the wife's new manual VW Beetle in on a new car.

We wanted an automatic with four doors, looked around at what was available and the local Renault dealer had his one and only RS200 demo for sale at a heavily reduced price with 1,000km's on the clock.

At first, before seeing the vehicle, my wife was not keen to own a Renault.

I should point out that we are old timers, I'm 70 but have a history of racing and rallying, also owned a high performance workshop and was into building high performance engines. Recently finished restoring my 1976Beetle to competition standards with 110hp engine for weekend club events. I also drive a Falcon XR6Turbo, so I was not particularly after a performance daily driver for the wife.

One look at the quality and finish, then a quick drive convinced us both, that this was the vehicle for us.

Took delivery last week, Flame Red.

Living in Tasmania means we have plenty of suitable roads to appreciate the qualities of this car. Love it.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum. Good to have someone in my age group. Obviously from your comments you enjoy a drive and are in the right place to make use of the RS 200 in the manner it was intended. Could be a bit different to the XR6 Turbo ☺ but you will enjoy its nimbleness. My first car was a 62 VW Beetle and I always wanted to modify it but didn't have the money. Was a great way to sharpen up my young driving skills. Enjoy the car. ☺

Edited by cairnsy

Thanks for the welcome guys,

Cairnsy, Before completing the purchase just for interest sake I compared the performance figures with the XR6Turbo and was quite surprised. The Falcon 0-100 figures = 6.5secs compared with the RS200 of 6.7 sec. Top speed about the same.  There is a huge difference between the feeling on the road, the Falcon being much heavier feels more secure, but a handful on the Tasmanian twisty roads. I haven't really tried a fast take off in the RS yet as it only has 1,000 km's on it and the handbook says to take it easy until at least 3,000km's.

It will then be an interesting comparison. The biggest difference will be in fuel consumption (or should I say, lack thereof)

MattySa, you can say that again, beat the scandal by a couple of days.

Welcome aboard! We picked up our RS Clio Sport on Wednesday - also flame red. 600kms on the clock so won't be having a play for a while yet. Coming from a 97 Corolla it's a little different.

Are you going to add a spare or rely on the repair kit?

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome guys,

Cairnsy, Before completing the purchase just for interest sake I compared the performance figures with the XR6Turbo and was quite surprised. The Falcon 0-100 figures = 6.5secs compared with the RS200 of 6.7 sec. Top speed about the same.  There is a huge difference between the feeling on the road, the Falcon being much heavier feels more secure, but a handful on the Tasmanian twisty roads. I haven't really tried a fast take off in the RS yet as it only has 1,000 km's on it and the handbook says to take it easy until at least 3,000km's.

It will then be an interesting comparison. The biggest difference will be in fuel consumption (or should I say, lack thereof)

MattySa, you can say that again, beat the scandal by a couple of days.

Don't be fooled by the claimed consumption figures.  The little Clio drinks like there's no tomorrow but it's so much fun !

• Like 1

Welcome Landfall, it's good to see another Tasmanian RS on the road, even if you are at the other end of the State. It gets a bit lonely here - the only entries in the Tas Sightings thread for the past 18 months have been me seeing the occasional visitor, or the occasional visitor seeing me.

Thanks Michael, I was wondering if and how many other RS200's there are in Tasmania. It seems like there are just the two of us.

mmh, as the car won't be used for any long trips, certainly not out of the state, I will rely of the RACT and repair kit. If I was going to be out on long trips or out of the way places I would get a spare. We used to have a MB and I had a proper spare in the boot for that instead of the silly space saver, as we used it for trips to Queensland.

vish, I'll be interested to see the fuel consumption figures, so far we have only done 200km's.  Our usual distance covered each week is about 100km's no freeways, mainly local with a trip  down to the marina, which means a max speed limit of 80kph and police often around.  The last 10km of the road without police would be ideal for a real tryout.

Busgo, if you really want to have a blast, go from Ringarooma across to Fingal via the forestry road, then across to Campbelltown. I used to have an ex Subaru RX ex factory rally car.  My wife used to say that she could hear the car and me screaming with joy when we say the gravel. Faster on the gravel than the Midland Highway.

Michael, if I've got the only one, that would explain a lot.

• Like 1

@landfall if you're looking for a spare solution there's a workaround for not having a spare. For the 200 Sport the RX8 space saver is a solution apparently. Yet to take delivery but bought one off a forum member. There's a thread here you might want to check out http://ozrenaultsport.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/24198-tyres-sigh/#entry507543

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mmh

Don't be fooled by the claimed consumption figures.  The little Clio drinks like there's no tomorrow but it's so much fun !

'Australian drivers are being cheated out of hundreds of dollars at the bowser each year because of "dodgy" fuel efficiency claims, says consumer advocacy group Choice.'

from: http://www.theage.com.au/business/retail/volkswagen-scandal-choice-car-test-points-to-other-fuel-guzzlers-20150930-gjxura.html  - found this in the paper today.

Have managed to acquire an RX8 space saver.

Also had my first fill of petrol today, the combined city and twisty country road average was 8.7l/100 not bad? I think the sticker said average was 8.1l/100

• 1 month later...

Have now had the RS200 for nearly two months and have managed to almost get to the magic 3,000kms.

Impression of vehicle now very positive, both my wife and I love driving it, the ease in which it manages accelerate to a respectable speed in traffic, the handling and comfort levels are tops.

Fuel consumption seems to be in line with sticker i.e. 8.1l/100 and improving.

No complaints other than I would like to drive it more, but I have to sleep sometime.

Edited by Landfall

I have 1300 klms on my RS200 and love it,have also got an Rx8 spare on the way and am going to make a false floor from mDF and then  bolt the  spare to it and use the space at the sides under the floor to store the  tools and inflation kit.

We have a lot in common ,I am 67 and have a rallying  background too,did The Mersey Valley Rally in about 1978 and finished second to Ross Dunkerton,beautiful roads including Helleyer gorge.The TAS govt sponsored  about 10 mainland crews to go over and we stayed at the Shearwater Country Club.

Have brought my MX5 over there a couple of times and just love the roads but if I was to go again it would be in the Clio!!!

Enjoy,

Peter.