Gt Premium/rs Sport Premium

doobran

Hi everyone! I am new to Renault cars and I have recently ordered a Clio GT Premium however I think I am having second thoughts...

I am thinking of upgrading to the Clio RS sport because I love the extra power and sounds from the exhaust. I am having trouble because I really like the look of the malta blue and the interior of the GT however it lacks in power. I was thinking of getting some upgrades for the GT post delivery like a dyno tune and exhaust upgrades. Has anyone done this before?

Recommendations?

Thnx Elliot - newb!

Hi everyone! I am new to Renault cars and I have recently ordered a Clio GT Premium however I think I am having second thoughts...

I am thinking of upgrading to the Clio RS sport because I love the extra power and sounds from the exhaust. I am having trouble because I really like the look of the malta blue and the interior of the GT however it lacks in power. I was thinking of getting some upgrades for the GT post delivery like a dyno tune and exhaust upgrades. Has anyone done this before?

Recommendations?

Thnx Elliot - newb!

Hi Elliott ... welcome. I'm no expert on these models but I think the general consensus is that the GT really didn't get the touch of the RenaultSport engineers ... it's more a looks and branding thing. I think you will have a lot of trouble getting the GT anywhere near the performance you'd get with the RS because much of the enjoyment from an RS is also in the suspension. I'm not sure how much money the difference is but if you enjoy driving perhaps you should go and give the RS another try. We're all biased here ... but if you don't give it another go you may regret it for a long time. :)   

Hi Elliott,

That sounds a familiar story...

We were in the same dilemma when my SWMBO wanted a Clio.  We pretty much knew nothing about Renaults at that time.  We actually ordered a Flame Red GT Premium (leather seats and black wheels) because she initially wanted liquid yellow (with leather and black wheels...) but when we discovered that was only the RS, she decided she didn't need the extra power etc... hence the GT choice. 

Less than 24 hours after that decision she decided she really wanted the yellow (and I may have played a small part too by suggesting the extra power and handling was actually essential... :roll: ), so we changed the order to the RS Cup Trophy (same as Cup Premium) with leather and black wheels of course...  :D

Haven't looked back since.  She uses it as a daily driver and loves it (apart from a few collateral speeding fines.... lol), and I have managed to also buy a Trophy R and more recently a Clio 182 (cos that's what you do...). :mrgreen:

They are very addictive  have to warn, so if you are just after a nice hatch that looks good, get the GT.  But if you want something truly special and don't mind risking true addiction, I say go for the RS.  You will not be disappointed in the choice. :yes:

Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

As above. The base RS may cost $4-5K more, and will have less features (e.g. no rear sensors, leather, etc), but the better engine / performance is worth the extra money in my opinion.

To get similar features you'd need to upgrade to the premium RS model, so a few extra $K again. So it depends on what's important to you - if performance isn't an issue, then go the GT. 

How does the RS Cup ride go on long trips? 

If ride comfort is an issue, go the non-cup.

But it doesn't look as good as the cup without the black wheels/red calipers  :)

Hi all! Thank you so much for your responses! Okay well I guess it will come down to what price I can get them down too now hehe. How does the RS Cup ride go on long trips?

Cheers for being so welcoming.

Long trips are fine, generally speaking. Rather than the ride, it'll be the road/wind noise that'll tire you out after a few hours on the freeway. All is forgiven once you get into the mountains though [emoji14]

Agreed all trips will be longer as you seek routes with more corners and twisties.... Ride comfort is not an issue so long as you don't expect it to be an Aurion or something. Expect it to be rough and harsh and you'll be pleasantly surprised because it isn't either of them... Fine for all except the worst surface conditions...

Congrats on your purchase! I'm currently in a premium with over 1,000kms so it's nicely opened up now; goes really well and I find the edc bodes well with the GT, maybe even more so than the RS. Handling could easily show some others how it's done.

Good luck with the mods!