Looking to get back in the RS fold

paulo

Hi Everyone,

I was the original owner of CL10RS (silver 182 Cup) which was sold to Ryan who is also a fellow member here. I used to go to a few drive days and went to a dyno day or two. I think I was also one of the first non-Gordini Clio's to have a stripe installed. Had to get a sign maker to fabricate it because online and Ebay sellers weren't available at the time.

Some of the earlier members I can still remember very well and so glad to see this forum just went from success to success consistently :headbang:

I sold my 182 to get in the property market which I eventually did, never staying too far away from OZRS. I still get excited everytime I saw an RS on the road specially when I first saw a Megane 250 on the road. OMG the :drool: on my face would not stop for hours... Fast forward a year of driving my gf Mazda 3 which is fine really, but I started to get an itch and wanted to get a car for myself that is more FUN than just going from A to B while asleep. So I started trawling Carsales to see what's available when a childhood dream eventually popped up. I always loved watching rally on tv and always had plenty of toy cars in a distinct Blue with Gold wheels.

Next thing I know, I was driving a 2012 WRX in WR Blue! I know, Subaru has pulled out of rallying for a while but I was glad to have a childhood dream ticked! It wasn't the car I used to watch on TV and play with as toys but at least it came from that same heritage. The WRX itself was great, it was fast in a straight line, fast enough on corners and very practical. It's great to be able to drive to the snow and not have to pull over to the side of the road like the rest of the fake SUV's trying to fit snow chains while its dark and with heavy snowfalls. The car served its purpose well but it also did things that made me miss my 182 so much. Firstly it attracted too much attention from traffic light warriors and po-po! It drank fuel for the fun of it, it certainly wasn't as nippy as the Clio was which I think fitted my driving style more than a heavier AWD police magnet. Oh I was also paranoid parking it anywhere in public thinking it will be stolen as soon as I walk away...

Anyway the car is now sold, surprisingly more difficult to sell than the Clio...

Now I'm hoping to eventually get back in an RS one day. I'm not yet ready at the moment but I know now my next car will be an RS or nothing at all. :nod:

I'm particularly interested in the Clio RS 200, I think its roughly 2010-2011 models. But there are so many variations, I'm still confused at which one exactly. I know it will be in either of these three colours depending on what is available at the time I serioulsy look for one. Liquid Yellow, French Racing Blue or White.

For some whos owned both the 182 and 200, what do you think are the major differences driving wise?

Sorry my long winded post, just wanted to give an update on what has happened since I let go of the favourite car I've ever owned!

My next Clio will definitely be a keeper for life :hail:

(Almost) welcome back mate!

The 200 is an awesome car, particularly in yellow, blue or white - you can't go wrong really!

It's worth test driving for yourself to notice the differences to the 182, but it definitely feels heavier by taking longer to get up and running. The gearbox is just awesome, however, which makes changing gears to keep it on the boil a pleasure. The steering feel etc is, IMO, much improved on the Clio II. They hold the road better and the Clio III is just an awesome looking car.

Do it sooner rather than later, I say :mrgreen:

(Almost) welcome back mate!

The 200 is an awesome car, particularly in yellow, blue or white - you can't go wrong really!

It's worth test driving for yourself to notice the differences to the 182, but it definitely feels heavier by taking longer to get up and running. The gearbox is just awesome, however, which makes changing gears to keep it on the boil a pleasure. The steering feel etc is, IMO, much improved on the Clio II. They hold the road better and the Clio III is just an awesome looking car.

Do it sooner rather than later, I say :mrgreen:

That's great to know! Thank you Alex :D

As long as the 200 still have the same driving dynamics and feeling of engagement that the 182 had, that's all I can ask for.

I can't wait that's for sure, but just not ready yet at this time. Growing up apparently meant having to plan and spend on holidays and get mortgages :bitch: hahaha

But I'm hoping from middle of the year, I can start my search for my life partner! Gf I already have :P

Welcome back, paulo (as if you ever left!).

Having owned/driven most versions of the 172/182/197/200, I'd say the II and III are similar but different. The II is a lightweight torquey beast, very chuckable but now feeling kind of old school. I still love driving my 13 year old Phase 1. The III is much more mature in terms of the driving environment. 200 Cup is very firm in the ride and needs some revs to get it going, but once you do the drive is sublime, chassis, steering directness and the Brembos are nothing less than superb. evo magazine didn't call it the GT3RS of hot hatches for nothing.

200 Cup is very firm in the ride and needs some revs to get it going, but once you do the drive is sublime, chassis, steering directness and the Brembos are nothing less than superb.

Is there such a thing as a Clio III 200 NON cup? I don't think I've seen one?

197s were all NON cups (i.e. suspension not as firm)?

Welcome back, paulo (as if you ever left!).

Having owned/driven most versions of the 172/182/197/200, I'd say the II and III are similar but different. The II is a lightweight torquey beast, very chuckable but now feeling kind of old school. I still love driving my 13 year old Phase 1. The III is much more mature in terms of the driving environment. 200 Cup is very firm in the ride and needs some revs to get it going, but once you do the drive is sublime, chassis, steering directness and the Brembos are nothing less than superb. evo magazine didn't call it the GT3RS of hot hatches for nothing.

This is good advice, thank you Anthony

I cant believe you still have your ph1!

I agree that it would be nice to get a 182 but for a life keeper, its starting to get older now. And i think any downsides the Cup 200 have is completely offset by the positives.

Which ones had recaros and brembos? I think I'll be aiming for the 20th Anniversary or a Trophee (do they exist in clio's?) going by specs I've seen so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey mate. Yes the Phase 1 is still going strong and was joined by a sister from the same DNA a couple of years ago for track duties.

All 200's delivered here came with Cup chassis and Brembos standard.

You have a few options for recaros:

2010 Cup Trophee (cloth)

20th Anniversary Edition (cloth)

Australian GP Edition (cloth)

Angel & Demon LE (leather)

2013 model 200 Cup (cloth)

The R27 version of the 197 also came with Cup chassis, Brembos and cloth Recaros. This is in fact the best Cleo RS eva, just ask buddy :mrgreen:

Going by the carsales ads I can view, i think my preferences would be-

20th anniv edition

Australian edition

Cup trophee

Love the look of those speedlines on the car! Just fits so well

Of course getting agreement on anything when it comes to looks is impossible. :P