To Cup or not to Cup

tezzer_j

Hello everyone, newbie here with very high potential to get myself into a Clio 4 rs200(Renault first timer). After having a test drive in a Cup only and deciding that I really want one, I have been tossing up whether to go the softer option over the Cup chassis. I really want the trophy spec so cost comes into it plus i thought the more comfy ride would be more suitable for the wifey and the occasional(very occasional) passenger. Is there anyone in here who has test driven both chassis and has noticed a big difference in the handling and if so is it a case of spend the extra, forget the comfort.

ps You guys don't know it but you have provided a great service to me whilst deciding whether to purchase, For that I thank you.

Welcome Tezzer (any relation to the illustrious Tezza?)!

Good question.

I've driven both: the Cup is firmer, sharper and more direct but not uncomfortable. The Sport is still firm, sharp and direct but, obviously, more comfortable.

So, I think the answer lies in what you ultimately plan to use the car for - track days, lots of weekend mountain blasts, internet points? Or daily driving, chauffeuring the wife and the occasional spirited drive?

My thoughts - the $2,500 saved on the Cup suspension should buy you an exhaust, remap and air filter, and possibly a set of H&R/Eibach springs 8) so it depends if you want the silver 17s or the black 18s.

What colour are you after and where are you located?

Na no relation but great name though. Thx for the advice walkie, those ideas sound cool. I'm in the dandenong mountains in Victoria mate, plenty of great roads to take for a spin in my new black sport trophy. Have to say the black on black looks appealing but have decided to save the cash and go the sport chassis. Probs more suitable.

i have a clio2 182 Cup and have been driving 80k's each way to work for the last few weeks, and 40k's each way before that. the suspension doesn't feel uncomfortable to me in any way.

not sure on the newer cars, but i would imaging they wouldn't make them any worse

^^^ not really same same, I'm afraid. There is a significant difference in compliance and ride comfort between Clio III RS Cup and non-Cup. You can't really use the older models as an indication as to what to expect.

ah, ok Moosey, my bad.

would a 'new' cup be worse than an 'old' cup? or is it the newer non cups are much more comfortable than old non cups? hope that makes sense.

back to OP - are you testing at dealerships or private? if at a dealer ask to take it for a long test drive and see what you think after a couple of hours on different roads (traffic, highway, bumpy roads, twisty roads, etc)

Definitely going to try and test drive the sport chassis next week, dealership didn't have one available when I went in there last time. The roads around this particular dealership are pretty good, plenty of bendy bits and different standard roads so not just your typical 10 minute highway drive. Intruiging to feel the difference.

Not too bad? I thought the Cup's tuning was brilliant, more than supple enough, no harshness and terrific primary ride control. One of the best riding cars I've tried in a long time.

Not too bad? I thought the Cup's tuning was brilliant, more than supple enough, no harshness and terrific primary ride control. One of the best riding cars I've tried in a long time.

This.

Well ok, wrong choice of term. I'll play the newbie card here and then rephrase and say I was pleasantly surprised.

I only test drove the Cup but after feeling it I had no problems buying one without even trying the Sport.

Must have driven over half the speedbumps in Sydney driving it home today and it handled them fine.

I wouldn't make the decision based on the ride, think about what colour wheels you want, your budget (and maybe if you're worried about scraping the black rims)