Finally got it!! But need some advice on a new car run in...

scalpelboy

Hey All.

After two failed attempts, I have finally signed off on a Megane RS. Black Trophy +, blacked out badges, removal of megane and RS badges from the rear, black coated wheels, two tone leather. Goodbye 135i and XR5 Turbo. Photos to come.

Here's where I need advice. I ended up buying the car from a Canberra dealer and will drive it back to Melbourne after delivery in middle October.

The car has 15kms on it so I basically can run it in any way I want. Now, chaps on here have told me - quite rightly - that new engines do not require old school run in.

BUT.

To ensure best performance from the engine;

1) what are renault's official instructions?

2) how many kms should I do around Canberra before putting her on the highway for 650kms?

3) go gentle? Red line day 1? Full throttle in high gears?

4) oil changes at which times would be best? 50km then 1000km? Just 1000km?

I am thinking of getting a ticket to a race track and doing whatever I need to on the track. High speed, low speed whatever.

And when they say "drive it like you stole it", I am guessing that means to wait for the engine to reach temperature then floor it? Is this the best way to seal any leak from the pistons?

I know I sound like a nuff nuff, but this is me transitioning into a proper knowledge of the car I drive rather than merely be influenced by shiny badges and dealer BS. Advice is greatly appreciated.

G'day, congrats & welcome.

You moved from a 135i to the 265 ? be interested to hear your thoughts after a few months ownership.

Main thing i would advise on your return trip is to avoid using cruise control (painful on the freeway i know) as you want to vary the engine/road speed & not sit constantly on the same rpm for too long.

Everyone has their own ideas but I don't really believe it matters much how you drive during run in as the engines are run prior to shipping anyway.

Just be sensible ie let it reach operating temp & don't labour it too much or continually bounce it off the limiter.

1000klm oil change is definitely advisable, no need prior to that imo.

Have fun.

Yep, two schools: driveitlikeyoustoleit, versus begentleuntil1000kays

A mix of both, going from a bit gentle to a bit hard will see you right. Just get the oil up to temp before too much fun starts, and don't use cruise control or sit in the same gear/speed/load for too long as steve11 said.

Most importantly, take the long twisty way home and avoid freeways!!! :wink:

Yep, two schools: driveitlikeyoustoleit, versus begentleuntil1000kays

A mix of both, going from a bit gentle to a bit hard will see you right. Just get the oil up to temp before too much fun starts, and don't use cruise control or sit in the same gear/speed/load for too long as steve11 said.

Most importantly, take the long twisty way home and avoid freeways!!! :wink:

Agree with the last sentence completely, come home via Bairnsdale!

Yeah vary engine loads and engine rotation speeds. Ie: give it a boot full doing 2000rpm in 6th and then give it a little at 4000rpm in 2nd. Just keep it nice and varied, but drive the car like it was designed to be driven.

Congrats on the new car mate!

Check the Megane III section for running in tips - there's a veeeery long thread about it.

Congrats on the buy and good luck with the plans.

If you have the chance coming south, I suggest you travel via Cooma, Bombala, Cann River. :)

Thanks chaps.

Will definitely take on board all comments. Am currently in the throes of working out whether I should go to a full mineral oil like Elf Competition FT or just allow the engine to break in under Elf Evolution, which seems to be a semi-synthetic oil as per the material data safety sheet on the Total website.

At this stage, will probably take the car through some isolated, twisty roads and open up the throttle in higher gears, doing my best to avoid hearing the rev limiter beep.

I know all cars will have issues - though I must say the 135i was pretty close to perfect - but I can't wait to get into this RS.

@ Steve11 will let the forum know every few thousand how it compares to the Audi / BMWs I've owned.

Thanks again all for the wisdom.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome mate, nice purchase.

Running in is critical to get a good piston ring seal.

Best scenario is tow it to a dyno, change the oil to mineral and do a running in load ramp sequence for the first 100km.

You're lucky you're hitting the highway straight up, thats what I did with my V8 ute, and it's a strong engine compared to some.

Try to use WOT from 70-120 in 3rd gear. And do this over and over for the first 100-150km.

If you choose not to, it's a turbo engine so it's not going to be a big deal compared to something NA.

Enjoy the car mate.