Updated - Finally an RS owner (225 Cup)

ferrisb

Hey guys/gals,

I have been looking to buy a 172 for a while and haven’t had much luck with my search (on a tight budget and have been a little picky).

But as a quirk of fate, a mate is about to sell his 2008 RSM 225 Cup (done 53ks) and has offered me the same price he has been offered as a trade in. Whilst I prefer my hot hatches smaller, perkier and cheaper (a la a 172/182), I think this is an opportunity too good to pass up.

A few issues:

> I will be buying the car with no reg or RWC and might have to commit to buying prior to getting the car inspected (would have used Virage). The car has been looked after, never tracked, never been in an accident and has been serviced regularly, but buying a car without an inspection still scares me…

> Belts have not been done yet, so will need to do both pretty much straight away based on time…?

> Buying this car would be way beyond my original budget (especially with some assumed RWC work and belts), so I may try and source some parts for RWC/belts myself (I guess through Wolf). I’ve only got basic mechanical knowledge, do you think ordering parts myself (hopefully in consultation with Carl at Virage), will pose any problems?

Hope to 'join the club' within days...

Hey there,

Sounds like a great opportunity! I did the same when offered a Scenic to use as my daily work vehicle. It came with a RWC and a few months reg so I couldn't refuse at the trade-in price offered, especially knowing the meticulous ownership history (for the previous few years at least). Knew I had to do the belts not long afterwards, but even factoring all of that in, I was still ahead.

Just knowing the history of the 225 you have available to you will be very reassuring. My 182 was also bought from someone I knew who had it from new, when 2.5 years old, and it led a fairly pampered life (but with slightly higher kms).

Being pretty much last of the line in 2008, your friend's 225 would have had any warranty/recall problems sorted by now. From our experience with Jen's 225 F1, very little goes wrong with them as long as you stay on top of maintenance. Rear tyre wear can be questionable due to lack of adjustment of the rear axle. It seems to affect some cars more than others.

Maintenance and running costs will be higher than a Clio II, no question. So, apart from the budget blow-out, the question is will you be able to spend what's needed for upkeep?

All the best 8)

Hey Dish,

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.

The seller has had from new, is a doctor, married with kids, so car has definitely been looked after.

Getting very excited. When I was young I had a string of (cheap) sports cars but have been driving boring/economical family cars last few years. RSM will be a huge upgrade and I'm sure will deliver plenty of smiles.

Will I be able to afford the upkeep? If something needs to be done, I'll spend the money. But I will be hoping I don't get too many nasty surprises. The car will be driven < 5000 ks a year so I should be able to stretch out replacing tyres/brakes/other consumables for a bit longer than avg.

Will report back once I'm over the line!

Well done, great score, what colour?

Regarding the belts, I would not stress too much about doing them straight away, you will be good for another 10,000km, that should give you a bit more time to save! Account for water pump at same time.

Congrats again.

Car is black, which I think looks great.

Despite trawling the forum for a while, I'm still not 100% clear on belts. I thought RSM cam belt was 4 years or 100k?

If not done already, by 5 years belts would be overdue based on time, no?

If not done, I should do Cam AND Aux belt? And then do water pump while going to all that trouble???

ps - only 27 more posts and I can see all those pics people put up in the other threads. Maybe I will take a photo of my new arrival and post it in small portions til the whole car is up... just kidding (sort of)

Basic service/maintence is not expensive, tyre wear out fairly quickly and engine/gearbox mounts [4 off them]

I find it hard to go over 10lt/100 mixed driving.

A fantastic car.

I'm doing the belts on my car at the mo 72000 klms and 7 years old next months, But I've had bad dreams for a couple of years.

Personally I would be fairly confidant that a modern belt should last more than 5 years and less than 60,000km, would be aiming to do it closer to 70,000km, but sh*t happens, I just wouldn't worry about it like I would a 10 year old car with 100,000km on the clock.

Water pump is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things and because of the labor involved in doing the belts its more a precautionary thing to do the lot at the same time, you would kick yourself if the water pump died at 85,000km and you had to do everything again. Have been in a similar situation with my car where I didn't do my clutch when I did my LSD and it ended up costing me big time in labor.

Congrats again, black is nice, you better stock up on polish and micro fiber cloths!

OK, here is a challenge that should get you guys worked up.....

You have $1000-$1500 to spend on basic remedial mods for a completely stock RSM 225 Cup. You aren't looking to improve performance, but more focused on improving driveability and/or addressing inherent problems/issues with this model.

Pop quiz, hot shot. What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO? (sorry, not sure why that popped in my head. I guess the film title is apt....)

ps - if you have it in your heart to indulge a complete noob, can you explain what each mod would achieve. eg, I would replace mounts because it improves X

Timing belt is due at the earlier of 4 years or 100k - so you're overdue.

As for mods? Car Club Membership, Helmet, CAMS licence and a couple of track days :twisted: along with a set of Michelin PS3s.

welome ferrisb.

I bought my 06 PhII about 6 months ago, had 73000kms on it, ive added 11000 to it as my daily driver. I have averaged 8.6l/100kms overall, thats with daily driving in sydney traffic and 1 track day.

I have not had any issue so far with the oringinal engine mounts, my timing belt was done by the previous owner at 60k service. My only mechanical issue was a broken shifter cable, which set me back about $350.

I'm extremely happy with my Meg, but servicing will cost more that other cars, its a hot hatch afterall, but it sounds like the one your looking at is a good example.

I like your thinking Griff...do I keep the baby seat in the car when I am on the track??? :)

I think you can.

Funny story, a fellow Megane owner, not sure if he is on here, rocked up to a car club day at our local race track and qualified 3rd ahead of a dozen race cars in a stock standard R26 with a baby seat in the back, I sh*t you not, I was pissing myself when I watched him line up on the grid, he was literally the only road car on the grid and sitting on the second row :headbang:

Only mod a they need is a LSD, that's my personal opinion, others will say you need carbon fiber mirror covers and a new stereo though so its down to how you drive and what you want from a car :D

Bank on the cam belt and engine mounts first, also look for play in the tie rod ends, they can get loose fast if the car has been driven enthusiastically.

Picked up the car last night. Was going to wait until I could post some pics, but couldn't hold in the news any longer. In any case, the car is stock, and most of you know what a RSM 225 Cup looks like...

Took the car for RWC check at Virage, only needs two new rear tyres. Fronts have already been replaced with Michelin PS3s, so I guess I will match them at the back.

The car is so much angrier than I imagined. I used to have a Mk5 Golf Gti but that was so civilised in comparison. Meg is so much rortier, exhausty and twitchy. All in a good way. Definitely feels MUCH more sporty.

So stoked to finally join you all.

Salut!

Congratulations mate! The Mk II's are a great car. Apart from the necessary spending like belt and engine mounts, I'd be chopping the back box out of the exhaust for a bit more noise and maybe getting an RS tuner. Having said that, I've done nothing to my R26 apart from servicing and new tyres! They're awesome in standard trim.

Awesome. Congratulations, all you need now is to work out a name for her! :)

I've has a name for every one of my cars so far. I usually get creative, but it's hard to go past Meg or Megan. I'm running with Meg until I come up with something better. I had planned on buying a 172 and calling it Cleopatra...

Ps - I looked up CAMS license after your post. I can't believe all it takes is filling in a form and joining a car club. Also, after I buy two new tyres I will have a full set of PS3s like you suggested :headbang: If you only tracked your car 1-2 times a year, do you need a spare set of tyres?

SOS - I have standard PhII 225 Cup wheels and need two new tyres urgently (RWC deadline next week). I booked in at tyre shop tomorrow to get fitted and stupidly ordered 225/40/18 instead of 235/40/18s. Should I change my order? Will the 225s fit?

EDIT - looks like 235s are cheaper anyway where I am getting fitted, so I'll try and get the order changed...

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't want to usurp the other threads with my little anecdote, but since this thread is now top of the pile again I might as well...

I had a work conference near the Yarra Valley (VIC) last week. I managed to skip out during one of the sessions and head out to the twisty stuff. Didn't have quite enough time to get to the Black Spur or Reefton Spur, but gave the car a quick squirt between St Andrews and Kinglake and back. Didn't speed or do anything silly, but geez it's fun in the corners.

Got back to the conference, snuck in the back door and sat down like I hadn't left. If someone had looked closely though, the big silly grin on my face might have given it away.... :D:D