Which RS 265 to purchase?

scalpelboy

Hey team.

RenaultSport newbie looking for advice from the forum. 6 months after a failed first attempt, here goes a second crack at getting into a Megane RS.

Renault are offering 2.9% on Trophy and Trophy+ and I don't which to get. Or if I forget the finance and get a Cup.

There are some questions.

1) How comfortable are the Recaros? I do at least one country drive a month.

2) Do the Recaros make it difficult for, say, my gf in a dress, to get in / out of the car?

3) Do the Recaros render the backseat unusable?

4) What do I lose by not having the RS monitor - do you really need throttle mapping?

5) Reliability issues - any major caveats? I just had the Golf GTI in the family get towed at 8000k's, so I guess nothing is truly bulletproof.

6) Other bits and bites that might sway me towards one or the other......

7) Recommendations on Dealer in Melbourne?

Much appreciated. Here's hoping photos of a new toy are soon forthcoming.

Many thanks!

Prav

Hey mate, Ive got a Trophy + but ill try and be unbiased..

1. All the recaro's are pretty damn comfortable, I optioned my car with the deep leather buckets (ala 8:08 spec) and have had no issues with them.. They are a bit annoying to get in and out of though, avoid if you have back issues lol.

2. As above, getting in and outs a bit of an art, but unless her dress hangs an inch below her waist, she should be fine. And if she does complain.. ask her would she rather be snug in her seat or flung against the passenger side glass during spirited driving.. :lol:

3. Not unusable, but they do have a bar across the bottom that means you cant tuck your feet under the seat. Ive had 6 foot guys back there with minimal fuss though.

4. If you lose the RS monitor I believe you miss out on throttle mapping and general data such as g-forces lap timers etc. This ones a personal choice. Are you going to use sat nav often, or play with with RS monitor? For example with myself, I knew id use sat nav a lot more often then playing around with throttle mapping so I went with it.. Its one of those things

5. Answered your own question.. a car will look after its owner as well as its owner looks after it.

6. You really have to work out which options you want and go for that spec.. its like if you go from trophy to trophy + you get the glass roof... can you justify paying extra, can you live without it? these are questions you have to ask yourself.

7. What side of town are you on, we should be able to let you know the best one near you.

Either way, im sure you'll be pretty happy :dance:

get a yellow or a red one .

cup v trophy doesnt really matter except for seat choice . i like recaro , she likes the more normal seats

Recaros are awesome. 10 hours in them is a pleasure.

2) Do the Recaros make it difficult for, say, my gf in a dress, to get in / out of the car?

Depends on how much room you have to open the door. No complaints from my gf, but she doesn't wear short dresses/skirts.

Depends on how far back the front seats are positioned.

4) What do I lose by not having the RS monitor - do you really need throttle mapping?

It's pretty awesome. I wouldn't go without it.

5) Reliability issues - any major caveats? I just had the Golf GTI in the family get towed at 8000k's, so I guess nothing is truly bulletproof.

Only consistent issue is sensitivity to bad fuel on cold starts.

My girlfriend doesn't even care about cars and she loves mine :)

If you were going to finance a Cup this would be at normal interest rates. So basically you are getting the Trophy/Trophy+ upgrades for almost free over the life of the loan. Kind of a no brainer to me and an absolute bargain.

Whatever you read or hear about the Recaro seats, disregard them. I've heard it being wafer thin, feel ever vibration etc etc. But they are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat on in a car and the support they give is excellent. Watched a drive in movie in them and it was sensational.

The seats do make getting in an out a bit difficult. I've told my gf to move the seat all the way back to help her get out. Plus she said she swings her leg over the thigh support to stop any embarrassing moments.

The issue with Recaros is the back seat. Once you've folded the seat forward to access the back, to lock the front seats back into back you need to push the seat all the way back before it locks in. Might be an issue with tall passengers in the back due to the limited leg room with this process. Once it is sorted leg room is fine.

RS monitor is probably one of the best features in the Megane, makes driving so much more interesting and exciting. I don't use satnav and don't see the point in it. If you need directions, Google Maps on my iphone helps, when I need a gps which is once every blue moon. Plus pair it up the in car bluetooth and you have voice navigation.

All cars have their issues no matter what. My dad's VW Polo GTI just got a new engine due to excessive oil consumption. No manufacturer is perfect.

My gf hated the Megane at first, but when she saw it in person she loved it. Was very unique. You will get lots of attention.

My 2c to your answers:

I drive a Liquid Yellow rs265 8.08

The ride is firm - a city driver can feel every bump and crack on the road. The recaros do an amazing job in keeping the driver into the seat and are very comfortable.

Most of my passengers use the side bolster to prop themselves - kinda wears it out quicker but makes it easier to get in. Getting out really isn't an issue. Gfs dress? if its loose, no worries. If its tighter, she may have to pivot her legs around and lean forward over the bolsters to get out.

Backseats are very useable. I've had 6" mates in there with no real worries. Slav mentioned backseat passengers being unable to tuck their feet under the back part of the seat. True but this can be sorted by adjusting front seat height until clearance is good enough to tuck the feet under.

Playful things like the G Metre, throttle maps, lap timer etc. But you also have things like boost pressure, oil temp, intake temp that could be pretty useful down the line. I've had the opportunity to use both the GPS and now the RS Monitor for months at a time and whilst the GPS is certainly useful - you have to pay yearly to update your maps and it's nothing that a phone can't do, infact a phone/tablet using google maps can integrate custom routes/points of interests created on your computer and still be able to be used as a GPS - that - and using the integrated GPS can be quite fiddly when using that central joystick cars optioned with it have. IMO RS Monitor is great to have and add more to the car overral

Look after the car, and it will look after you. There have been some very isolated incidences with a couple of engines blowing up (find the threads if you want to learn more about it). For the most part owners find a commonality in squeaks and rattles inside the cabin, cold start issues (seems to be more amongst 250 drivers rather than 265). Otherwise nothing, a number of owners on here that have 50,000kms+ on their Megs with no mechanical issues.

If you are a big fan of the options ie. Sat Nav, Glass Roof (NOT sunroof), heated seats etc etc then go with the Trophy+ as that's the only version that allows you to option such things. Otherwise Trophy for the Recaros or cup for the bare minimum - each drives the same and will give you that feel good feeling :lol:

From Sydney buddy, sorry!

There are some questions.

1) Very. Everyone is different though. Msot people find them comfortable... once you get in..

2) Yes. Girls and people with back problems do not like them.

3) Actually, they have more 'legroom' as the seats are thinner with those areas for the two knees but because of a bar under they provide less foot space.

4) If an everyday driver, not much. If you track its useful I suppose.

5) Nothing major. Minor stuff so far like creaking/random rattle

6) Girls and older folks like how the recaros hug them, but not the getting in/out part. Also the doors are very heavy, I'm finding I need to open the doors for them fairly often (also to stop them from losing grip on the door and send it flying into the car or kerb beside :P) Personally I would have liked a rear view camera - as rear vision is very restricted (can't see anything low). If I had to pick again, I would have gone with some electric leather cup seats (which are on the trophee + I believe - I was originally eyeing the Monaco GP ones). Don't like how the glass roof models have beige head-lining. Like the black colour. Don't use the RS monitor much nowadays.

7) Think most of the Renault dealers here are pretty good.

**8) If you have a house loan, getting a 2.9% finance would be a wiser choice, put the rest in your housing loan/offset account. If not, I personally don't like taking loans on a depreciating asset :wink:

Thanks everyone! That's amazing advice. Really helped me make a decision.

Went to a Renault dealer in Melbourne yesterday - was happy to have a salesman who knew as much about the product as me (this does NOT happen at a lot of prestige dealerships around town - BMW take note!).

I don't understand how these car reviewers can look at a Megane RS in the same way as an Astra OPC or Focus ST. It's really a very different sort of car. It has a rawness, a focused sense of purpose... the others have more of a psychotic cashed-up teenager approach. The interior of Focus ST is pretty fugly. And, FFS, the OPC has glowing red lights that come on with the touch of a button. What a w@*k. All power to people who want that sort of thing, though. But if you want a car designed to push your driving skills to the limit, rather than pamper your inner poseur, bring on the RS.

For those who haven't seen it, there's a pretty entertaining review of the RS on YouTube by this guy whose username is smokerspack. Good for a laugh. Dude loves the car, too.

I loved the track ready feel of a Trophy. The one on sale had xenons, leather recaros - just stunning. But then I sat in the Trophy+ and it had a feeling of being just a little special. It maintains all the rawness, the handling, the poise, but it was just so comfortable.

Will I miss RS monitor? God yes. Terrible thing to lose.

But for a guy that does 20,000km a year, I'll have a Trophy+ please.

Will see you guys back on here - hopefully soon - with photos and a 0-100 time.

Cheers!

I don't understand how these car reviewers can look at a Megane RS in the same way as an Astra OPC or Focus ST. It's really a very different sort of car. It has a rawness, a focused sense of purpose... the others have more of a psychotic cashed-up teenager approach. The interior of Focus ST is pretty fugly. And, FFS, the OPC has glowing red lights that come on with the touch of a button. What a w@*k. All power to people who want that sort of thing, though. But if you want a car designed to push your driving skills to the limit, rather than pamper your inner poseur, bring on the RS.

Best description the OPC and ST that i've heard so far :D

What colour Trophy+ did you land up going for and when do you get it?

3) Actually, they have more 'legroom' as the seats are thinner with those areas for the two knees but because of a bar under they provide less foot space.

They render the back seat embarrassingly useless. Embarrassing because you will have to drive with your head on the roof and the people in the back will be trapped in place via their feet. People can try and justify it but the truth is that they are just silly.

Personally I would take the heated leather non Recaro's.. or just a base spec cup with no options and save the money for petrol :headbang:

Nice work Scalpelboy. U won't regret it. Sounds like you went to City Automobiles if you found someone that knows the brand inside out.. 1 test drive around the Yarra Boulevard and we knew it was coming home with us. (Subsequent speeding fine on the same road 2 days after delivery wasn't as much fun though) The Recaros are the finishing touch I reckon and once U get into the twisties will know U have made the right choice. Hope to see U out on the roads or maybe a OZRS driveday.

i own a Trophy with a few extras . I think the Trophy + maybe an extra cost that gets away from what the car is d1) How comfortable are the Recaros? I do at least one country drive a month. They are quite comfy . Im 6'2" & 100kgs . I love them

2) Do the Recaros make it difficult for, say, my gf in a dress, to get in / out of the car? If she complians , change girlfriends :)

3) Do the Recaros render the backseat unusable? Not at all . A little more room than standard seats.

4) What do I lose by not having the RS monitor - do you really need throttle mapping? absolutley . Its more fun than a sat-Nav

5) Reliability issues - any major caveats? I just had the Golf GTI in the family get towed at 8000k's, so I guess nothing is truly bulletproof. Mine stuck a leg out of bed (conrod through the block ) at 5000k's

6) Other bits and bites that might sway me towards one or the other...... Mine is Red with black roof, 19's, leather interior , Bi-xenons, tints, front parking sensors etc

7) Recommendations on Dealer in Melbourne?esigned for ( ie extra weight) im Sydney based

Good luck making a decision.