Newbie! Good Day to you!

shlonga86

Hi,

I'm Scott and I am yet to own a Renault.

I'm currently driving a '96 Suzuki Sierra and I love it to pieces. It costs me barely anything and goes just about every where.

I only have 2 issues with it: If I crash it, I WILL die. And that its 0-100kph time is around the 30 second mark.

The car I owned before that was a '04 Holden Calais and since owning a Holden, I have vowed never to buy an Australia made car again. There was nothing wrong, it was a great car and I had a heap on fun in it but it, so, "Australian". If you know what i mean? And I like the 'feel' of the Euro scene, so here I am.

I have been reading and studying for a little bit now and I have a couple more months until I'm going to buy one so I thought I'd sign up here to get some advice and first hand experiences from you guys.

I have pretty much decided on a Megane 225. I only wanna spend around 15k and am very interested in a 3-door model. (if not, a 5-door with one of those mad sunroofs haha). I do plan to do some basic mods engine mods (exhaust, bigger intercooler, boost controller, dump valve, dyno tune, some type of air induction kit), nothing crazy because I want to try and keep it looking as stock as possible.

So if anyone has these mods, your feedback would be very appreciated.

Cheers for your time,

Scott

Well howdy, and welcome!

Abandon you idea of a dyno tune, I doubt anyone in your neck of the woods will have interest in the somewhat bespoke ECU the meggy runs. Do some research into an RSTuner, by fastchip instead.

The sunroof is only available on the non-cup, which had a more agressive ESP than the cup, softer suspension and a few other differences.

Mine was dyno tuned in a once-off trip out here by Paul from RS Tuning (no relation to the above) and is a monster. The 5-door is more practical, and easier to live with than the 3-door (and I think it's also better looking). I also have no rear muffler, and it sounds great. Coop also removed his centre silencer for more hiss and pop and that sounded awesome as well.

If you can wait for an R26, they're the pick of the bunch as they came with a factory-fit LSD.

Well howdy, and welcome!

Abandon you idea of a dyno tune, I doubt anyone in your neck of the woods will have interest in the somewhat bespoke ECU the meggy runs. Do some research into an RSTuner, by fastchip instead.

The sunroof is only available on the non-cup, which had a more agressive ESP than the cup, softer suspension and a few other differences.

Mine was dyno tuned in a once-off trip out here by Paul from RS Tuning (no relation to the above) and is a monster. The 5-door is more practical, and easier to live with than the 3-door (and I think it's also better looking). I also have no rear muffler, and it sounds great. Coop also removed his centre silencer for more hiss and pop and that sounded awesome as well.

If you can wait for an R26, they're the pick of the bunch as they came with a factory-fit LSD.

I was planning and taking getting it tuned at BPS (Bayside performance service) in Cleavland. They tuned my Calais and did a good job and I thought if they can tune a Ferrari, they can tune a Renault haha. But I will take you're advice and board and have a read about RSTuner. My intitial impression was that it was a little bit "backyard", if you know what I am saying.

I didn't realise the 'cup' didnt have the sunroof option. There goes that idea then.

So, you dont think it is worth ordering an aftermarket turbo-back? Its a thousand quid for a Milltek exhaust, which is expensive but you pay for quality (and shipping haha).

Can you be more specific with the "R26" please? (n00b alert) I did a bit of a search of carsales and the R26 F1's are about 25 grand, which is well out of my price range.

Cheers for your help :D

Welcome!

Someone posted a link somewhere here to a bargain priced late model 5dr 225 Cup (in QLD?). Very low kms and asking $15K. If I was in the market for one, that's the one I'd be buying.

It doesn't have the LSD as found in the R26 but for the price you can't go wrong.

So, you dont think it is worth ordering an aftermarket turbo-back? Its a thousand quid for a Milltek exhaust, which is expensive but you pay for quality (and shipping haha).

So, your choice is an easily reversible $500 at the local shops or $1500 imported special? :lol:

If you were in Melbourne, I'd offer you a ride around the block in mine. If you're in town, I'm happy to honour the offer. :D

So, your choice is an easily reversible $500 at the local shops or $1500 imported special? :lol:

If you were in Melbourne, I'd offer you a ride around the block in mine. If you're in town, I'm happy to honour the offer. :D

ok, I see what you are saying haha. cutting a muffler out might be the go then.

Im in Brisbane, and I'll hold you to your offer if im ever down that way. :D

In saying that, there is a very good chance ill need to do the ol', fly-buy-drive home.

And Dish, I have seen that on carsale. If i had the money to, it'd be mine but I dont :(

PS sorry to ask again but can i get some more detail on the r26? carsales ad or something?

And Dish, I have seen that on carsale. If i had the money to, it'd be mine but I dont :(

:?

I only wanna spend around 15k

That blue 5dr is 15K, and is a steal at that price.

You won't find an R26 for under $20K anyway... well at least one that's worth buying. A couple have popped up from time to time in that bracket, but with dubious history - best be avoided.

Welcome! That 0-100 time for the Sierra is pretty good. My wife had one as her first car and the only way you'd be able to measure a 0-100 time in it would be pushing it off a cliff. :D

I suspect that even pushing it off a cliff the terminal velocity would not reach 100kph. You might need a helicopter and 10000ft. :)

Welcome to the RS club BTW.

:?

I only wanna spend around 15k

That blue 5dr is 15K, and is a steal at that price.

You won't find an R26 for under $20K anyway... well at least one that's worth buying. A couple have popped up from time to time in that bracket, but with dubious history - best be avoided.

As i said in my first post, I havent got my finances sorted yet, so I wont be buying one very soon. Im going travelling with work for a few months soon (which is where most of the money will be coming from) then I can start looking more seriously.

But you are right, that price is a steal. I saw that ad before I signed up here and its 'saved' on carsales :)

Yeah, when the R26 was originally metioned I thought "arent they like 25 grand?". So thats why I asked more.

I see there is a 225 F1 for sale in Perth (im assuming he'she is a member here). Its thats still for sale when Im cashed up, do you reckon its worth "breaking the budget" for?

And give the poor Sierra's a break! I got mine up to 107kph once! it was down hill though :oops: haha

Welcome!

As Grif has said, the RSTuner is a good buy and welll tested with a heap of 225 drivers, plenty on this forum. I got a RSTuner and it's easily the best purchase on my car. The R26 is certainly the pick of the bunch, in saying that you'll be able to pick-up a goodie (not R26) between 15-18K. Good luck with the search!

• 2 weeks later...