Temptation for RS250

CCKC

Hi All, I was looking at buying a RS250 when it first came out but been putting it off as I thought it's just a brief tempetation. But everytime I see on on the road, the feeling gets stronger!! :(

I have been struggling to convince myself to bite the bullet to buy one because I am currently driving a VW R36 and am worried that although I will get a lot more driving pleasure but will lose some if not a lot of the refinement I get on the VW.

I know the two are very different cars and I think I am having a mid-life crisis and please don't ask how old I am. 8)

CHEERS!!

Charles

So what if you're having a mid-life crisis. You say that like it's a bad thing, when in my eyes it can only be good. I say go for it. RenaultSports are much, MUCH more driver focused then a VW is, and it's reflected in their product. So if that sort of thing appeals, then the RS250 is the perfect blend between hardcore fun and the refinement a VW offers.

Modern Renaults are actually quite impressive in terms of refinement. I have no doubt the RS250 would ride better then a R36 believe it or not. NVH levels are probably a bit higher, and the trim levels are also a little down a VW's. But not like older Renaults are.

I say do it! You're only young once.

Modern Renaults are actually quite impressive in terms of refinement. I have no doubt the RS250 would ride better then a R36 believe it or not. NVH levels are probably a bit higher, and the trim levels are also a little down a VW's. But not like older Renaults are.

+1.

The build quality on the RS250 is pretty good (and I've owned Volvo's and Audi's). The only thing that lets it down a little is that they don't use VAG group quality materials. On a VAG car or a Volvo, if it looks metallic then it's made out of metal. Renault aren't quite at that level...but there is nothing wrong with the fit/finish on the RS250.

In terms of ride/handling, RenaultSport have absolutely nailed it with the RS250. Sure...it's very firm, but it actually absorbs bumps better than the Volvo C30 T5, the Alfa 147 GTA, and the Audi TT that preceded it whilst being stiffer and flatter (Ok...admittedly a billy cart would have been better than the Alfa).

The R36 is a terrific car (I have a friend who has one and I've done a few miles in it). The RS250 however is brilliant. It is primarily a sports car, but it's more practical than you might imagine.

Oh...and I was 52 when I bought mine. :roll:

Thanks Gents, all excellent arguements. Mid-life crisis is not a bad thing, just trying to make myself, the wife and the mum happy is. =) and I believe I hit my mid-life a bit too early too and it happens every few years. =P

I actually came from a Subaru Liberty GT-B and that is FIRM.

Get a Monaco edition with Leather and Nav, plenty refined, maybe opt for the 18†wheels for a more compliant ride, the 19†wheels can get a bit crashy on the rough stuff at times.

The R36 is nice car!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Having also owned an R36, there is a lot you will miss. That auto-dipping reversing mirror, the awesome stereo and interface, the comfort and read-your-mind features you didn't even know you wanted. The build quality also cannot be denied.

But, if you want the best driving experience the RS will give you that, and a huge grin to go with it. I was never happy with the R36 until I had a Clio parked next to it :D

Having also owned an R36, there is a lot you will miss. That auto-dipping reversing mirror, the awesome stereo and interface, the comfort and read-your-mind features you didn't even know you wanted. The build quality also cannot be denied.

I liked the auto-dipping mirror on the my previous car, but I can't say I miss it. But the (Alpine/Dynaudio) ICE system on my previous car? I miss that badly. The ICE on the RS absolutely sucks and I'm really surprised that dealing with that wasn't part of the Monaco package. Overall though, the equipment levels on the RS250 aren't that bad.

I liked the auto-dipping mirror on the my previous car, but I can't say I miss it. But the (Alpine/Dynaudio) ICE system on my previous car? I miss that badly. The ICE on the RS absolutely sucks and I'm really surprised that dealing with that wasn't part of the Monaco package. Overall though, the equipment levels on the RS250 aren't that bad.

I'm not one for loud, banging music but I am yet to have an issue with the audio in the RS250, and I've been driving a Mark Levinson Lexus around for the past 11 months ( :oops: ) and enjoying a Bose-equipped Audi S3 before that.

Hey CCKC,

I'm from Perth and put a deposit down late August at Henley Renault in Osborne Park. I had a good experience there and the price was right, so no complaints for me. Melville Renault, from what I understand, has been a Renault dealer for a lot longer so I'm sure they'd be fine too. I just had a pretty bad experience there during a test drive with one of the salesman, so Henley it was for me :)

You owe it to yourself to at least have a test drive :D

Well "she" approves for me to sell my R36 and get the RS250. Guess that's half the good news.

I somehow managed to sway my 'minister of finance' to let me keep my 3 cars for quite some time after I got my 250. It was only until recently that I moved one on as we didn't have the room to keep 3 cars continuously on the property.

Now get in that testdrive and let the good time roll!

I rang up one of the Renault Dealers and I was told the Monaco GP version has all be sold? Disappointed but considering there's only 50, I am not surprised. Good for the people who managed to get hold of one. =)

Ring another dealer. My dealer said that each dealership was only allocated a certain number. They simply might have sold their allocation

There's at least 8 still available. Granted, none are in WA but if it's what you want I'm sure they'd be happy to ship.

The only bits of the Monaco really worth having is the cool glass roof and maybe some would prefer sat-nav to the RS Monitor (now that the novelty has warn off I probably would too). There's nothing else on it I'd swap my Trophee for...and especially not the tacky white interior finishes. If you can't get a Monaco, you're not missing out on that much.

There's at least 8 still available. Granted, none are in WA but if it's what you want I'm sure they'd be happy to ship.

The only bits of the Monaco really worth having is the cool glass roof and maybe some would prefer sat-nav to the RS Monitor (now that the novelty has warn off I probably would too). There's nothing else on it I'd swap my Trophee for...and especially not the tacky white interior finishes. If you can't get a Monaco, you're not missing out on that much.

The Monaco would be the best compromise if you want to retain some of the luxuries from the R36, and would be best to gain approval from Mrs CCKC, however if you're after a sea-change, and want maximum driver involvement and enjoyment then I'd suggest a Cup Trophee for the recaros and RS monitor gizmo.

As RBH said, the glass roof is fantastic, and the Sat Nav has each and every speed/safety camera stored, along with the required speed which will no doubt be handy.

I'm sure you could obtain a Monaco if that's what you were after, but no matter which variant you end up with you won't regret it.

The Monaco would be the best compromise if you want to retain some of the luxuries from the R36...

I love the Monaco's roof, but apart from that I'm confused by this pitching on the Monaco as a "luxury model". What is luxurious about it? Has the same interior as a Cup with satnav in place of the RS Monitor and some white plastic. That's it. Where's the extra "luxury". :? I'm confused.

I love the Monaco's roof, but apart from that I'm confused by this pitching on the Monaco as a "luxury model". What is luxurious about it? Has the same interior as a Cup with satnav in place of the RS Monitor and some white plastic. That's it. Where's the extra "luxury". :? I'm confused.

It has heated leather seats too, I think.

It has heated leather seats too, I think.

Never quite understood heated leather seats in our environment. Yes, in a European winter ... but here? Yes leather is cooler but I cant say I have driven my car nude so not sure how the cold seat effects you. On the other hand I have seen what a leather seat in the sun can do to a girl going commando under a very shirt skirt :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Obviously for most of the year it's irrelevant here, but having owned a car with heated seats, it's quite nice to have a cool cabin while feeling toasty from the seats in the middle of winter. It's one of those minor details that means little on a spec sheet but ends up being surprisingly likeable.

Personally I'd rather the Recaros though. :headbang:

Test drove the car today.... All I can say is "what an awesome experience!!"

The test car was brand new, and the sales person was already "thrashing" it. I enjoyed the ride too much to pay attention to anything else so I think I need to go back for another close look at the car.

A lot of people said the 19"s ride hard but I think it's actually quite well balanced.

Anyway, got to get formal approval from the Misus now. =)

PS: The dealer informed me that all Monaco's sold out but I took another look at the Trophee interior and it looks better than the white finishing.

The test car was brand new, and the sales person was already "thrashing" it. I enjoyed the ride too much to pay attention to anything else so I think I need to go back for another close look at the car.

A lot of people said the 19"s ride hard but I think it's actually quite well balanced.

PS: The dealer informed me that all Monaco's sold out but I took another look at the Trophee interior and it looks better than the white finishing.

You are only missing out on the roof...really. And on the RS250 I'd take the Recaros over the standard pews...they are more in keeping with the ethos of the car.

Glad you liked it GCKC! Hopefully the approval comes through without too many conditions :P

• 1 month later...

Morning,

I bought my RS250 Cup from Henley Renault in September. No complaints at all, they were fantastic to deal with. Cameron was the new car sales manager, so if he is still there you won't have a problem.

I couldn't justify the extra $7-$9k on the Monaco, but could understand why others might like it.

Whatever one you choose, you won't regret the purchase.