Soon to be RenaultSport owner- Don't know which one!

sx1

Hey Guys first post here. After months of research (which I love doing btw!) I've narrowed it down to the Clio or the Megane. '

The cars I was looking at previously were:

- Volvo C30 T5 R Design - Very rare. Couldn't find any!

- Focus XR5T - Too common but heard good things!

- Alfa Romeo GT - It's an Alfa :?

- Mazda 3 MPS - Too common, didn't connect with the look

- Subaru WRX - Image problem

- Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart - No Manual, kinda meh

- Nissan 350Z - Still an option! But for the price (2006+ $35K ish), I can add a bit more & get the RS250 which brings me here.

I've heard so many good things about the RS that I just had to find out! I love cars & driving so it was important that I get something which feels great to drive, looks good & gave me happiness :D

So the reason for not yet deciding which one? Its between a used (under 10000Kms) 197 clio vs new RS250. This is where I am stuck.

I TD'ed the Clio las weekend & liked it a lot, I've yet to haggle with the seller but my head wants me to go for it considering the price, age, km's & the drive.

But I simple love the RS250, it's a beauty & I am absolutely stung by it. I am literally dreaming about owning & driving it. My heart absolutely wants it & I am just coming back after a TD.Amazing drive & my god it looks :drool::drool::drool:

My only concern? $$$ Its quite a bit, considering I wanted to spend no more than $30K. Wish they had the 2.9% interest rate for the RS models.

I hope to decide soon & start posting more! (Wouldn't mind your opinions!)

Well I have an rs250, mates have MPS's, XR5T's, alfa gt and wrx's

MPSs have major traction issues which is really frustrating especially after modding, the ford sound awesome but are common and being run out as we speak, the alfa in v6 sounds great but just doesnt have the performance and handling to match others and wrx's are great to mod but lack drama...good you're not considering a VW :P

comparatively between all these cars stock the 250 comes prett close to the others. However, whether in corners or straight line, the 250 has the grip and pace to beat others and is more rewarding to drive. If you.re planning on modifying, parts tend to be a bit more expensive and harder to come by but keep in mind its a much newer car.

I trust u will make the right decision :wink:

If the r32 is too exxy, then the 250 will be too.ive just sold a 197 and picked up a 250 today. Very different. If buying new id take the 250- way more car for not dissimilar money. Secondhand, well not many/any 250's yet.197's or a 200 are unbelievable secondhand buys and are prob a bit rawer , have a better gearchange and easier to chuck around, BUT im very happy i changed to a 250.

personally i dont think its the wisest decision to go into debt for a car, its just going to depreciate anyway.

Its nice to have new shiny toys but if you cant afford it then you cant afford it, its not like you are talking 5-10k here you are doubling what you want to spend...

All very fiscally responsible and all that, but cars in general and especially cars like RenaultSports are not a sensible, rational logical purchase and they certainly aren't an investment (unless you can afford a McLaren F1 or a Veyron). I get paid a car allowance and I treat the car as an expense. I don't expect to own any of it and as long as my (usually) 50% residual is covered at the end of my (usually) 3 year lease period, I really don't care. So I pay a monthly premium to drive a fairly nice car that I get some pleasure from. It's like having nice clothes or drinking nice wine. It's not sensible.

Decision time! ~25K for sparingly used 197 or a brand new 250 for $22K more? I liked the drive in both of them but purely on the basis of the looks I'd go for the 250. But is it really worth the extra $22K? God this is tough!!!!!

If you want to be sensible, buy a 2 year old Yaris.

personally i dont think its the wisest decision to go into debt for a car, its just going to depreciate anyway.

Its nice to have new shiny toys but if you cant afford it then you cant afford it, its not like you are talking 5-10k here you are doubling what you want to spend...

All very fiscally responsible and all that, but cars in general and especially cars like RenaultSports are not a sensible, rational logical purchase and they certainly aren't an investment (unless you can afford a McLaren F1 or a Veyron). I get paid a car allowance and I treat the car as an expense. I don't expect to own any of it and as long as my (usually) 50% residual is covered at the end of my (usually) 3 year lease period, I really don't care. So I pay a monthly premium to drive a fairly nice car that I get some pleasure from. It's like having nice clothes or drinking nice wine. It's not sensible.

\

They are super sensible. :D

When you pass a new Porsche on the track or overtake a Corvette on a backroad they seem like very good value and you can give yourself a pat on the back thinking of all the money you are saving to go the same speed and feeling like a driving legend. :D

RBH58 the difference is you are paying for your car via a lease, so you get the benefits of buying a car before your wage is even taxed, that is the smart way to do it, and that is the only way i would ever buy a new car.

It just sounds like Sx1 has 30k to spend and wants to go into debt for the further 20k or so and pay interest ontop of that, if it were me i would go for a used R27 and use the left over money for insurance / servicing

\

They are super sensible. :D

When you pass a new Porsche on the track or overtake a Corvette on a backroad they seem like very good value and you can give yourself a pat on the back thinking of all the money you are saving to go the same speed and feeling like a driving legend. :D

Porsche's are super sensible. I have a friend who has leased his 3rd Boxster in a row on 3 year/75% residual, and he seems to always get that resale on them. Over 3 years I'm probabaly going to lose $25k on my $50k RS250 and he's only going to loose $35k on his $140k Boxster.

Wow a 3 year 75% residual, my financer wouldn't ever offer me that high a residual ( 'cos I usually buy renaults!).Thats amazing that a boxster is worth that much after 3 years. I like the idea of treating a car as an expense- I should start thinking like that. Or at least tell my wife the car is a legitimate business expense- , hang on , she's too pragmatic, I can hear the answer already, " No problem getting a car, how about a Hyundai Getz?".

I'll just keep quiet.Although she does like the 250.Luckily.

RBH58 the difference is you are paying for your car via a lease, so you get the benefits of buying a car before your wage is even taxed, that is the smart way to do it, and that is the only way i would ever buy a new car.

It just sounds like Sx1 has 30k to spend and wants to go into debt for the further 20k or so and pay interest ontop of that, if it were me i would go for a used R27 and use the left over money for insurance / servicing

Vukie, are you talking about a novated lease? They are pre-tax related. Not everyone gets that type though.

As for the OP's 'predicament', I'll second Vukie's vote for the R27. Cup chassis, Recaro seats, 5 seater, great looks (I still prefer it over the 200), pretty rare and available in red, white or that gorgeous Liquid Yellow. :drool:

The depreciation on any new car can be pretty gut wrenching :(

This

30K to spend. But love the Megane.

You see I am single,under 30, earn decent wages, don't own a house. So my only expense is rent + food + travel to work. I feel this is the right & possibly the only time I can spend on a shiny new toy, but somewhere in the back of my head, theres this voice which says go for the near new 197 & save $20K.

My company has a tie up with a leasing co & I've asked them for a quote to see if I can save anything there. Lets see.

My company has a tie up with a leasing co & I've asked them for a quote to see if I can save anything there. Lets see.

Novated Leases are a little less enticing now with the changes to FBT taking effect on new Leases.

Problem with a Novated Lease is that it is a contract between the Leasing Company and your Employer. If you change jobs, you need to ensure that your new Employer is happy to continue with the Leasing arrangements. In my experience, changing vehicles and Leasing contracts can be a right pain in the Ass.

For the first time in a long time, I decided to "manage" my own vehicle (RS250), and take my Car Allowance in my pay rather than through a Novated Lease (and claim some of it back from the Taxman). You need to weigh up your options and remember....50K is a lot of money for a car so don't get caught in the headlights.

He's all growed up, and can make his own choices in regard to his finances.

The question remains, however. What will the choice be? :)

I doubt any of us can really sway the decision, as I suspect the choice has already been made and all that's needed is some nice words to say to justify it.

Novated Leases are a little less enticing now with the changes to FBT taking effect on new Leases.

That depends on circumstances - if you do under 15,000k's p.a. I believe you would be better off under the new arrangements. No change if you do 15-25,000 but worse off if you do more than this. Disclaimer - I may be wrong, it has happened once before, so speak to your accountant :)

Extra 20k to get the RS250.

Ok, I read the "30k to spend" as being cash I guess.

I'm never satisfied if I "settle" for something that's not really what I want - within reason - is 20k within reason? I guess that depends on your circumstances.

Good thing I preferred the 200 :D

So the reason for not yet deciding which one? Its between a used (under 10000Kms) 197 clio vs new RS250. This is where I am stuck.

You know life is good when these are the difficult decisions you have to make :D

I was in a similar position to you sx1, over a period of many months I test drove a WRX, RS250, and MPS among others. I settled on the 197, because to me it struck the perfect balance between price and performance. At close to 50K, I didn't think the RS250 was twice as good (no offense to RS250 owners, I still love the 250!)

My reasoning is that I will drive the 197 for a few years, and then when my lease is up, the RS250 should be around the price of the 197 - give or take. This way I will have my cake and be able to eat it too! :hyper:

Thanks guys, decided on the Megane. I don't think I'd be happy with the 197 even if it's perfect. I am wary of getting something which is not what I really want & if past decisions are anything to go by, I'd be unhappy.

Anyway, I've made a thread about a lease question as I got quote. Could you guys give your opinion?

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=20502

I used to own one without the crappy (sorry) Selespeed box, and the Arese V6 engine was epic. I think the finest mass production engine ever. They sounded incredible, and they had torque everwhere. You could step off the clutch at idle and the car would just roll down the road...it would pull 6th gear cleanly from about 40kph to 250. An amazing engine, but it was...by far...the best bit of the car.