What to buy 172,182,225 etc etc

spinr33

Hi all,

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on the various Renault models etc i was looking around at 172,182's and the like but finding a low km one reasonably priced is abit hit and miss. So i then had alook at the 225 meganes cup and non cup more expensive but lower km and a later model car seems to be more available better variety have cruise control which i have currently and find it great when you have to drive long distances etc.

And now renault have released the 1.9% on the new clios might be another viable option im just interested in other peoples opinions on the models and what they would go buy in the current mix of renaults and pricing.

Rgeards

I reckon a Megane R26 is the sweet spot for value, performance and 'specialness'. Can be had for mid/high twenties so already depreciated by almost 50%. it's the only one on your list with an LSD fitted.

There's a nice looking one in SA in yellow, and I think a member in Sydney has a black one in the for sale section on here.

Agree with Tubbsy on R26 value for $$$

Having said that though....you're looking at 172 --> New RS200.

May i ask "what's you ideal price range?"

As the 1.9% is pretty damn good.

WOLF

That finance deal is over 3 yrs, which may be prohibitive with big monthly repayments. The interest rate is awesome tho :)

I often think about this too, as looking for a new daily to compliment the Ph1 and agree with Tubbsy that the R26 is looking very good ATM if you want factory LSD and decent anchors.

The 225 Cups also offer a bargain especially with a stage 1 tune, new mounts and pad upgrade.

Ultimately I think it depends on two things, budget and if you like your dish served raw or not.

Clio will always be more direct and simple with Megs offering refinement and turbo torque.

That one in SA does look good tho :wink:

Dan

Agree with Tubbsy on R26 value for $$$

Having said that though....you're looking at 172 --> New RS200.

May i ask "what's you ideal price range?"

As the 1.9% is pretty damn good.

WOLF

Hi mate im just thinking outloud trying to gather opnions old vs new etc and what models people are going for i dont really have an ideal price range or anything but i think an 250 would be too much of a stretch lol

Keep the opinions coming though.

I went through a similar process a couple of months back. Megane 225 I didn't rate - too soft for me - and while the 225 Cup is a nice all- rounder I knew I'd always regret not getting an R26. Yet for the same ask (or thereabouts) I found a low km R27 and then a RS200. The RS200 was awesome - great build, good interior space, brilliant drivetrain and fantastic, danceable, communicative chassis. Great safety and, for what it is, decent refinement. The R27 I tried was similar but not quite as peppy. But in the end the 182 Cup was just that level or two more raw, more chuckable and ridiculously agile. Made me grin at lower speeds thus more of the time. In spite of it being a touch firmer and harsher than stock, I'm perfectly happy to use it as a daily (given the option of the BMW 325i) or drive it several hundred km at a stretch.

They don't make cars like the 182 any more which is why I wanted one.