newbie 197

yatesy

Just wanted to say a quick hello!

I'm not a newbie to Renault Sports having owned a 182 in the UK about 5 years ago, but had to sell it when I decided to make the move to Australia. Since then I've had 4 different cars, a Subaru Impreza (non turbo) VW polo GTI, Jeep Wrangler JK and a 2005 Mini Cooper S. All of which have failed to reach the fun factor of the 182 and all have suffered from reliability issues.

So I found myself looking again at the RS clio, and paid a visit to Rick Damelien to test drive the 200. I have to say I fell in love with it and found my passion once again for Renaultsport. But times have moved on and the price tag was hefty and decided my only option was to look for a 197. Fate or not, as soon as I got back from the test drive a 197 had appeared on carsales and after taking a look and a test drive I decided to buy it!

I know there is a raging debate about how the 197 compares to the 182. I honestly have to say in my opinion both are great cars in their own right. Sure, the 197 is lacking in the rawness and true hot hatch qualities that the 182 readily provides. But the 197 combines practicality and versatility without losing the fun factor, which is quite a feat!

And I'm looking forward to many years of happy motoring :o)

Welcome! You didn't pick up Sam's blue 197 did you? That sold VERY quickly!

Pics when you're ready 8)

possibly, i'd been watching carsales for a couple of weeks and hardly any 197's on there, and yes it's Monaco blue....

This one: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=19290

Welcome aboard Yatesy,

I'm a big fan myself of the 197... 1 of 2 cars on my very short list of future rides.

Great value and look the part.

Enjoy it... a lot!

Cheers,

WOLF

Beautiful mate :) Awesome choice (I myself adore the 197) and welcome to our little corner of the net. Enjoy

-Dan

Welcome Yatesy, the car looks fantastic!

A couple of us are going for a drive on Saturday, you can read about it here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19471#p263014. Feel free to come down and show off your new beast :D

I'm a big fan myself of the 197... 1 of 2 cars on my very short list of future rides.

What's the other one, Wolf?

Heheh... another 197. :rofl:

...probably a Ph 1 if i can find one. Would like to sample it for myself. Good ones are rares as hens teeth. MAYBE even bring one in, but would have to live in NZ or Europe for a year. Which is actually something i'd be willing to do if work takes me that way.

WOLF loves his Renault. :headbang:

Your Renault loyalty was never in question, Wolf.

As I told Joey recently, I'm over the moon with the alien but a few weeks ago I saw a R26.R on the UK autotrader for around AUD $27k. That got me thinking, add another $15k to get it to OZ and satisfy the RTA and for similar money to the Trophee I could've had a R26.R!! Closed the Firefox with a bitter taste in my mouth...

Your Renault loyalty was never in question, Wolf.

As I told Joey recently, I'm over the moon with the alien but a few weeks ago I saw a R26.R on the UK autotrader for around AUD $27k. That got me thinking, add another $15k to get it to OZ and satisfy the RTA and for similar money to the Trophee I could've had a R26.R!! Closed the Firefox with a bitter taste in my mouth...

im not sure you would ever satisfy the RTA to get it registered here without going through a personal importation after owning it for 12 months in the UK...

If i go over there... its definately on my shortlist to bring back..

im not sure you would ever satisfy the RTA to get it registered here without going through a personal importation after owning it for 12 months in the UK...

If i go over there... its definately on my shortlist to bring back..

Fair enough, I haven't been in the importing loop for about two years - I read a lot about importing from Japan beforehand. Might do some light revision...

Does anyone know if there are any R26.Rs in the country even as track day toys?

None that i know of... pretty unlikely though. Well, without anyone here knowing about it at least.

Thing is, you surely get ALL the parts for around that 15k mark, i'm guessing...without having to live in Sunny UK for a year.

...or was it 6 months now (as i heard).

Cheers,

WOLF