Renault N00blet

massivechicken

Hi there!

RS n00blet here.

Just purchased a mint silver 172 Sport off Berniebern. My first Renault - I'm 33 and I've owned XR8 falcon utes mainly, a 65 Mustang, GSXR-600 bike, a 260Z datto, a 300zx Nissan, and my first car was a classic mini. So it's good to be back in something similar to the car that made me fall in love with driving in the first place. It's also good to own a car again after 3 years of nothing but a bus ticket whilst I lived in Brisbane temporarily.

Have already fallen in love with the thing and very much looking forward to Sunday morning drives through the mist in the north east of Melbourne. I could not believe the grip when I entered the eastern fwy last night, the long sweeping left hander. I think I could get into some trouble driving this thing! I also had some fun with a new Megane sport on the Eastern. I felt strangely connected with whoever it was. French Connection? hoh hoh.

Bernard has already done most of the mods I would do, being wheels, springs, green cotton air filter, camber, rstuner, ipod connector and engine mounts, so unfortunately I feel bereft of tweaks I can do at this stage - sans ordering a new spare key, for which I've been quoted $300 all up. Thinking about an exhaust system, and a pod style air filter (if any advantage over the green cotton).

It rattles like a bastard in the rear hatch so I'm going to hunt around the forums for a fix and have a go at it this weekend. Fun fun fun! Might also try Bernie's headlight restoration technique.

Anyway looking forward to getting to know everyone here and maybe even meet some of you in person.

Gene

My heart dropped seeing you drive off in it but it definitely went to the right person. Way too many tyre kickers!!!!

The Clio box is actually a very good OEM part and 95% of aftermarket products offer no benefit at all. You will lose power by changing it. There are a few alternatives though. If you have the $$$ you can buy an ITG kit but there is a bargain alternative which is purchasing a Renault Espace V6 airbox and ITG oval panel. It’s the same design as the ITG but half the cost. You could also model the intake off a clio cup racer by moving the battery in the boot to make room for a straight elbow into pod. Plenty of info on that here and on cliosport.net. I’d personally put the money towards Koni’s.

Get used to the Renault spotting love. We're a secret society.

Welcome mate! Good choice on the 172.

As has been pointed out, don't use a pod filter. RS got it pretty much right from factory so unless you're going to move your battery elsewhere and run a Cup racer set up.

If you're just after noise then yeah go for a pod or induction system but don't expect power gains.

With an exhaust if you're after gains you'll need to do a hi-flow cat as that's the main restriction on Clios.

Enjoy 8)

Have already fallen in love with the thing and very much looking forward to Sunday morning drives through the mist

Welcome Big Chook.

Sounds like that 172 has gotten under your skin already. Hope you don't get into too much trouble.

Thanks for the advice people. I think I'll be saving for a set of koni's as the next mod, until then I'll be busying myself with a spot of rattle eradication :)

It's also good to own a car again after 3 years of nothing but a bus ticket whilst I lived in Brisbane temporarily.

Heheh... you knowwww, we cars up here too. Done my stint on the bus round brisneyland... not the best fun.

Welcome aboard, shame we lost you to Melbourne, sound like you would have made a great addition to our comparitively small group up here.

Had a few buyers go for the V6 or Ph1 airbox. No complaints thus far, so i assume they're happy with any pick up in performance but moreso the very sweet acoustics that it brings.

Anyways, enjoy and see round the forum.

Cheers,

WOLF (we like chickens :wink: )