new 172 project

ajf07

Hi all

I am new to this forum. Have recently bought a blue 2002 model 172 with some damage and have been intrigued by the model and its potential, can't wait to drive it once fixed!!

I have taken this car on as a project before the baby is due. I love the shape and style of this french machine, have driven fords most my life.

To begin it needed a bumper, bonnet, alternator, compressor, engine mount, timing cover...

Have been successful sourcing most these parts from Sydney even though I live in Canberra :)

So far the project is coming along well although after stripping broken parts was provided with a Renault Megane timing cover, similar but not quite the same :( hope to swap it for the Clio sport one from the wrecker.

Any hints or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Btw, I'm not a mechanic but willing to learn more about the car.

Cheers

ajf07

Welcome! Sounds like a bit of fun :wink: any other plans for the car or just getting it back to A1 stock condition??

Wow, cannot believe how helpful this site has been already! Thanks for your responses! How come everyone is so quick, does the site generate update alerts or something?

The south coast drive sounds like a bit of fun also. I am currently in the south of Canberra but will be moving to the G in a bit over a year.

Atm, I am just looking to get it in a good working condition (fingers crossed!!) then consider some slight modifications possibly later even though I really like the colour and standard appeal of the car. I drove to Sydney last week to collect parts as didn't think there were any local Renault wreckers. Have bought a standard Clio bonnet and front bumper and hope they'll fit for now but would love a Monaco blue Sport bumper.

EvilB sounds like the person to speak to, I will try send a PM.

Wow, cannot believe how helpful this site has been already! Thanks for your responses! How come everyone is so quick, does the site generate update alerts or something?

The south coast drive sounds like a bit of fun also. I am currently in the south of Canberra but will be moving to the G in a bit over a year.

Atm, I am just looking to get it in a good working condition (fingers crossed!!) then consider some slight modifications possibly later even though I really like the colour and standard appeal of the car. I drove to Sydney last week to collect parts as didn't think there were any local Renault wreckers. Have bought a standard Clio bonnet and front bumper and hope they'll fit for now but would love a Monaco blue Sport bumper.

EvilB sounds like the person to speak to, I will try send a PM.

Welcome ajf07! :)

Is that a nickname or do you have really cruel parents? :clown:

We're just a committed bunch, and this really is an active forum, with many many people who will quite happily chew your ears off about anything Renaultsport.

The bonnet should fit, but the bumper won't work. The track is widened on the RS models, and the guards flared (they're plastic) more than the 1.4s or 1.6s.

Hi AJ.

If Brian doesn't have a engine cover, i have one here in Bris. Just in case, but i'm sure he'll have one.

Love your ambition, stick with it, and feel free to drop me a line for any new parts you may want once the monster is truly ALIVE!!!

Cheers,

WOLF

cruel parents...heheh.

Haha ajf is just my initials. My name is Alex.

Still working on the car, have not yet heard back from evilb. Can anyone help me locate a timing belt cover?

The one I was given in Sydney from a Megane just won't do the job. Should have most the other parts I need but this cover is the first step.

Cheers