Just Saying Hello!

SMC

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

A bit about myself, im from Melbourne, have owned a variety of cars over the past 10 years. A Ford EA, Charade, couple of old skool XR Fords, which I never should have sold with the $$ people are getting these days. VT commodore (don’t ask), and last real car was a S6 rx7 which was extensively modified. Last few years I have been getting around in the wife’s Corolla and I have finally reached the end of my tether with it and needs replacing.

Been doing my research on what car I should get next and after few months of reading various forums and car reviews and everything else in between I have decided to get a Clio 182 Cup, took me 4 months to decide on the Clio.

Car will be mainly used as a daily driver and a few track days during the year. Now to the frustrating part, I cant seem to find a car in Melbourne, people will not return messages, most seem to be interstate which im happy to travel for, BUT it appears people don’t want to go through a lot of effort to sell their car. Asking for extra pictures seems to be a big bother for most, not being totally upfront with “issues†in the original advertisement, lack of service books, I think I just wanted to get that off my chest. The sad part is I know all the mods I want to do on the car, just need to locate a car first.

BTW, this is an awesome forum with a wealth of information and some very knowledge people on here.

Anyways, hopefully I get one in the next few weeks to end the suffering and catch up with some of you guys.

SMC

Welcome SMC!

There was someone else just recently saying there're no cars in Melb! Dunno what's going on!

I'd be happy to check out any cars in Sydney that are close by (if I can squeeze in the time!). I'm in the Inner West, not far from the city.

What "mods" have you got planned? You'll find the 182 Cup is pretty schweet out of the box but some light mods will help it on track days 8)

hi walkie,

Thanks for the offer, i might take you up on it if something pops up in Syd.

on the mods, first would be an exhaust from the headers back, been looking/hearing the Devil one. I know Miltek hardware gets a good wrap as well. Then it would be a CAI again one of the more popular and tested setups. I still don’t have my head around the tunning options available for the 182 and what potential gains are? And last thing and depending on budget would be a set of coilovers and tune for the coilovers.

Exhaust - the 182 manifold is pretty schweet. The guy that made my 182 exhaust (hi-flow cat plus cat-back) said they're some of the best he's seen from factory and would be difficult to improve. I'd just look at a hi-flow cat + off the shelf cat-back.

Intake - Std box has proven to be very good and also difficult to improve on. I would go for the JMS setup (basically a V6 airbox with filter & silicone bend, as a package).

Coilovers - options are different for the 182 cup and non-cup. Different hub size on the cup, so not as many choices. Don't rule out the non-cup if you're gonna fit coilovers. For the Cup you're basically looking at H&R, AST, Gaz, Leda or K-Tec

If it was me?

- cat-back

- phI or v6 airbox

- sportline springs

- DS2500 pads

- slotted DBA rotors

- braided brake lines

- good tyres

Welcome to the group SMC. I think it was me complaining about the lack of cars in Melbourne, and it can take time to find a nice car.

Please PM me if you want to talk about the car linked below. I don't have anything to do with it or the owner, but i did test drive it a few months ago and can probably tell you a lot about it.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... rt&trecs=5

Please note that this is not a plug! Just trying to share some knowledge :)

Exhaust - the 182 manifold is pretty schweet. The guy that made my 182 exhaust (hi-flow cat plus cat-back) said they're some of the best he's seen from factory and would be difficult to improve. I'd just look at a hi-flow cat + off the shelf cat-back.

Intake - Std box has proven to be very good and also difficult to improve on. I would go for the JMS setup (basically a V6 airbox with filter & silicone bend, as a package).

Coilovers - options are different for the 182 cup and non-cup. Different hub size on the cup, so not as many choices. Don't rule out the non-cup if you're gonna fit coilovers. For the Cup you're basically looking at H&R, AST, Gaz, Leda or K-Tec

If it was me?

- cat-back

- phI or v6 airbox

- sportline springs

- DS2500 pads

- slotted DBA rotors

- braided brake lines

- good tyres

Thanks Walkie, its like a tease talking about all these mods with no car to fit them to :(

If there's a lack of 182's in Melb, it's only because we Melb 182 owners know we're onto a good thing and don't wanna let go :wink:

Welcome to the community, and hope you find one for yourself soon. We've got a drive day planned for Grand Final day (roads are deserted hehehe) and if you haven't got one for yourself you're most welcome to come for a ride.

Cheers, Dish.

Thought i would just put it out there has anyone been to see this car? Car has been keyed on the bonnet and has some scrathes on the left had guard hit a letter box or something..

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... 82&trecs=9

eraser215 - i have tried to PM you a few times but not sure they are getting through??

Dish- Im really hoping to have one by then, but i will take you up on the offer if i havent sorted anything out by the :D

• 4 weeks later...

thanks guys.

I got the car from Cosmo a fellow forum member.

It’s a 2005 182 Cup, FRB with stripes, done 69,000k, full service history. Pre-inspection done at City Renault, no faults. Very very clean example, interior is without a mark and body work is excellent condition.

Had a little heart attack when I got pricing for the timing & accessory belt service and a C-service. Once I pick it up its going in for the service and hoping to get it out at a DECA day in late October.

Trying to decided on what exhaust to get, its between a Devil from Auto-Paris and a Miltek one? Not a lot of info for the devil exhaust though?

My goodness, I hadn't realised I had neglected to welcome you!

Hi!

Good to keep another 182 in the fold in Melbourne town. It also pays to consider independent mechanics when considering services :wink:

Trying to decided on what exhaust to get, its between a Devil from Auto-Paris and a Miltek one? Not a lot of info for the devil exhaust though?

The Milltek is very quiet, not much louder than stock, unless you put a hi-flow cat on too.

I haven't got much experience with the Devil but IINM it's pretty expensive.

Have you looked at the different options on K-Tec Racing's website?

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats! What did you end up buying? Your avatar looks like you stole my 172 :wink:

Hey alex, got 182 from a forum member 'danny'..

Hi SMC,

I see you've had a change of heart from your intended Racing Blue 182 to the Titanium 182 Cup. Congratulations and enjoy your new toy.

Given how much you enjoyed the Grand Final drive day as passenger with Dish, I guess you've been and found a few twistie bits of road to try an RS Clio for yourself.

There's a hillclimb at Rob Roy this Sunday and I'm pondering going to spectate. Appears plenty of Renaults will be partaking. Couple of good bits of roads to get there. I go via Lilydale to Yarra Glen, then Christmas Hills.

Might see you if (A) I go and (B) you go.

Hey alex, got 182 from a forum member 'danny'..

Hi SMC,

I see you've had a change of heart from your intended Racing Blue 182 to the Titanium 182 Cup. Congratulations and enjoy your new toy.

Given how much you enjoyed the Grand Final drive day as passenger with Dish, I guess you've been and found a few twistie bits of road to try an RS Clio for yourself.

There's a hillclimb at Rob Roy this Sunday and I'm pondering going to spectate. Appears plenty of Renaults will be partaking. Couple of good bits of roads to get there. I go via Lilydale to Yarra Glen, then Christmas Hills.

Might see you if (A) I go and (B) you go.

Thanks mate!

Titanium colour is growing on me i must admit. I was trying to get away from silver cars. last 3 have been silver. There are 2 corners on the way to work that get special attention : lol:

Getting the exhaust fitted today and its booked in for the belt change and service on Monday.

This weekend if full so I wont be going to the hill climb, and it looks like next Saturday is the only free weekend for a while.

Hi Srete,

Congratulations on your purchase! It will be awesome to get everybody back together for another cruise before Christmas. Why don't you try and coax Goran to bring the Sierra RS Cosworth out for a spin? Now that would be a welcome sight for everybody on the cruise :wink:

Ben

Thanks Ben! I will start a new thread for a drive day for early next month or something. Getting Gorjan and his cossie out is like…….., well yeah it wont happen :lol:

• 2 months later...

God, Can't believe I missed this!

Was just thinking of my Jean Claude this moring. Was going to message you Srete to check up on one of the best cars I ever owned.

Hope you are enjoying the car mate, and hope it has made you as happy as it did me. Anyone who needs pics of this car, you don't theres at least 20 on the forums if you search my threads! hahaha. Including that wonderful avatar of SMC's :)

Anyway, sorry I haven't been round the forums all that much everyone, I've had a V busy few months!!!

Once I take delivery of The R, the first thing I want to do is to come on a RS cruise, hopefully Srete you can make it!!!

-Danny