R26 owner new to the forum

DR26

First bought the R26 8Oct2009 and its nearing the 12 month mark. Well what can I say, I thought the WRX was blistering thru the hills but the R26 is another level of handling altogether. R26 was about 10kmh quicker down the back straight at Sandown than the WRX (2003 post bug eye). On the flip side I've warped the front left rotor - now looking for replacement options and would appreciate your more informed views on the matter.

Anyway, love the car, even if it was the tallest car in pit lane amongst a field of LP560s, F430s, Lotus', Porsches, and looking forward to a few cruises with OzRenaultSport. :)

Welcome DR :)

I'm sure I've seen you around the Wheelers Hill area a couple of times (namely near Wellington Rd/Jells Rd)

Would be good to have you come to our GF drive day :D

Hey guys thanks for the welcome :) If I can find a suitable replacement for the rotor in time I'd love to come on the GF drive day. Are non-RenaultSports welcome (perhaps RX8 and RS4)?

The rotors are not cheap. How many Kilometres has it done?? Do they both need replacing??

Maybe you could have it machined.

They were $580+ NZD each when I did mine not so long ago, the non drilled ones are cheaper and apparently just as good but I like to keep things as OEM as possible.

Welcome aboard,

Send me a direct email and i'll see what i can do. Pretty backed up nowadays, but brakes are important and will do my best to see what OEM options and prices there are.

Cheers,

WOLF

I've done 54000kms and its only the left front that's warped (interesting in that Sandown is anti-clockwise). Both rotors and pads look ok (not too thin). Good idea Apex about machining the rotor - I'll give that a go first. 580ea is a bit rich - for that money I would not expect them to warp! There has to be non-OEM rotors available that offer better performance, just have to identify and track these down now. Thanks for the feedback guys and Wolf I've sent you some further info.

IMHO You’re not going to gain anything from moving to a different rotor unless you go to a floating two piece.

I would say machine them and see how you get on, they are normally hesitant to machine drilled rotors so make sure you find a good machine shop. You only stand to lose $50 and an half an hour’s labour, much better than $580.

My Disks lasted 80,000km so you should have good meat left on them.

Thanks Apex, I think you're right about the floating two-piece. Spoke with Renault and they've advised these rotors should not be machined due to the way the rotor is constructed, which surprised me. I also came across a really informative site: www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml that may be useful for all. Did you stick with OEM pads on your car?

I went to a Mintex compound that was custom applied to backing plates for my car, this was a big mistake and the reason I am familiar with machining Renault disks, they broke up and one completely disintegrated leaving a massive grove in my vented disks, they were rubbish, they defiantly gave a better bite but the vented disks just gated them like cheese.

Im back to Genuine OEM and am having no problems with heat or ability, I do however take it relatively easy on my brakes for four out of five laps at track days and this aids them big time, people are often way to aggressive on braking all for an extra second.

Given you wanted to compete I would say move to something like the C6 from Carbone Lorraine C6, that’s what im going for next.