Megane Rs Cup Premium 275 - Negotiation Time!

Sticks

Hi Everyone,

Heard great things about the folk on this forum. Hoping to get some negotiating help.

100% certain I want the new 2015 RS Megane. Have completed the obligatory 1 week hire of a 265 Cup from Hertz and couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a week.

Have an appointment to test drive the RS Cup Premium 275 tomorrow and will likely begin negotiations immediately. List price in my state (WA) is $57,990. 

Any and all tips on 

• Negotiating tactics

• Expected price

• Things to look out for (e.g. confirming car was shipped to location rather than sent by road)

• Extras to ask for

will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers everyone,

I'm not sure what spec the hire cars are (I assume they are 265's), but if you are looking at a 275 Premium, then it will likely have the Ohlins suspension, Akrapovic exhaust and 19's, plus Recaros and all the alcantara in the interior.  It will almost certainly go even better, harder, and handle in a superior manner to the hire car, so chances are the smile will be unavoidably wider....  :mrgreen:

My suggestion is to have the test drive, then go away (maybe even return the next day) to commence the negotiations so that you aren't sitting there with a Cheshire cat grin trying to hammer out a deal for yourself...

Good luck with the drive and your negotiation, can't wait to read your story!  :popcorn:

• Like 3

My suggestion is to have the test drive, then go away (maybe even return the next day) to commence the negotiations so that you aren't sitting there with a Cheshire cat grin trying to hammer out a deal for yourself...

^ This. There's no way you'll get a good deal whilst you're sitting there giggling like a school girl at a Bieber concert. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure what spec the hire cars are (I assume they are 265's), but if you are looking at a 275 Premium, then it will likely have the Ohlins suspension, Akrapovic exhaust and 19's, plus Recaros and all the alcantara in the interior. It will almost certainly go even better, harder, and handle in a superior manner to the hire car, so chances are the smile will be unavoidably wider.... :mrgreen:

Good luck with the drive and your negotiation, can't wait to read your story! :popcorn:

Only the Trophy R come with Ohlins.

I would test drive, then go away like everyone has said. It's not hard to grab a bargain, particularly if you don't mind buying a car from another State.

I know the dealer on the Gold Coast have 2 x 275 Cup Premiums in stock at $51,990, which in reality means I wouldn't walk out of there paying any more than $47k.

The other option is to forget the test drive altogether. If you like the 265, you'll obviously love the 275. If it's the car you want, just send them an email and offer something ridiculous like $46k and say you'll sign the papers and do the deal by COB. You might end up paying late 40's, but they'll sell you a car. That option hasn't failed me yet.

EDIT: I recently went to Renault in Melbourne while I was visiting and saw the 275 Trophy-R they had in stock. I think they only had like $58k on it and I reckon if I had the cash, I could have walked out of there with it for low 50's.

• Like 1

While not the same car we got a quote in November for a demo GT220 at 36k, went away and decided black instead. Called them for order and was quoted 41k, walked and got an email honouring original quoted price on demo for new car, plus painted wheels, plus ceramic coat... Plus 0% finance.

Could have got slightly cheaper at castle hill but didnt have the time nor the availability of logistics... Plus kept the wifes mind at ease.

Definately worth playing your cards close to your chest, hope that helps.

Edited by paffoh
  • Like 1

Looks like the Ohlins are an option.

"The limited-edition car can be specified with optional adjustable Öhlins Road & Track dampers with steel springs."

Anyone know how much the option is and if it can be fit as aftermarket?

No, they're not in Aus. You must be looking at UK info where they are - EVO recently did a video comparison of it...

The only Meg 3 with Ohlins available in Aus is the 275R. Not sure why so many people keep saying they're optional on other 275s.

• Like 1

No, they're not in Aus. You must be looking at UK info where they are - EVO recently did a video comparison of it...

The only Meg 3 with Ohlins available in Aus is the 275R. Not sure why so many people keep saying they're optional on other 275s.

When I was buying my R they wouldn't let me drive the R (had two in stock at the time - a LY and the white that I bought) but allowed me to drive the 275 Trophy LE model (also LY), which had both the Akro exhaust and the Ohlins suspension. It had steel instead of the ceramic springs, though.  We looked very carefully over the two models to see the differences between them.

• Like 1

Gold! 

Yes they are very lucky the other options to buy one up here were extremely limited otherwise they would have received the time honoured one finger salute and seen the back of me as I walked away.  :furious:  Unlike some who had ordered many months in advance, I was on the tail end looking for one after the deliveries had already started.

The experience at the other dealer in Brisbane before that point was even better...  Having already bought an RS there several months earlier, I inquired about an R, and was advised that there were no more of them.  When I asked if they could search around and find what ones were still available around the place, I was told they could not (would not??) do that.  Go figure...  :?:

I ended up ringing Renault Australia myself to find out what dealers had a white one that they had ordered, and was given the details of the dealer I ended up buying from. Turns out they had one in white that I was seeking (two actually - refer previous post) in stock, along with a small number of the Trophy LE models.  The alternative was to travel to Sydney to buy one, so I had to suck it up and go with it.

As the dealer was new to Renault (they were still hanging the sign when I got there the first time), it seems they had the chance to buy some of each model and not just customer orders (as clearly they had no chance to have done this).

I think with the competition you guys have in Sydney and Melbourne compared with up here, you are spoiled for customer service.  At least by comparison...  :44:

• Like 1

Oh, and if you can buy an RS275 Cup Premium for under $50k please let us dealers know. We might do a group buy with you.

Whatever happened to the "we don't discuss price" unwritten rule here? Especially when it comes to newbies clearly just signing up to get price information. Let's see if our new friend actually contributes here.

Edited by m0nty
  • Like 1

EDIT: I recently went to Renault in Melbourne while I was visiting and saw the 275 Trophy-R they had in stock. I think they only had like $58k on it and I reckon if I had the cash, I could have walked out of there with it for low 50's.

I reckon you'd leave with a black eye and a bloody nose before a Trophy R in the early 50k's.

• Like 3

but allowed me to drive the 275 Trophy LE model (also LY), which had both the Akro exhaust and the Ohlins suspension.

No, it would've had Akrapovic exhaust but standard 265 Cup suspension.

Hi Everyone,

Heard great things about the folk on this forum. Hoping to get some negotiating help.

100% certain I want the new 2015 RS Megane. Have completed the obligatory 1 week hire of a 265 Cup from Hertz and couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a week.

Have an appointment to test drive the RS Cup Premium 275 tomorrow and will likely begin negotiations immediately. List price in my state (WA) is $57,990.

Any and all tips on

• Negotiating tactics

• Expected price

• Things to look out for (e.g. confirming car was shipped to location rather than sent by road)

• Extras to ask for

will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers everyone,

Lol

Sent from the Internet.

• Like 1

Pay what the car is worth to you and enjoy it. The forum isn't in the business of beating down dealers. Find someone you want to work with, and buy a car from them. It's not a war.

As others have said, this community is about sharing the love of all things RS. I'm not totally against sharing prices, but unfortunately it's a conversation that never ends well and is best avoided.

• Like 6

Well said and as a new member point dutifully taken.

I should add our dealer was more than happy to help get us in our car and work with us, the experience from showroom to signature has been amazing.

Is this for real? m0nty you sound like a dealer I'd love to stay away from.

Seeming as though my local dealer has $51,990 on their 275 Premiums, I wouldn't think a price under $50k is remotely off the table.

Of course it's not a war, and I actually have a great relationship with the local dealer who sold me my car - that does not mean as a consumer I'm not going to get the absolute best price possible from them. Who has the money to spend more than required? Not me.

• Like 2

Seeming as though my local dealer has $51,990 on their 275 Premiums, I wouldn't think a price under $50k is remotely off the table.

Of course it's not a war, and I actually have a great relationship with the local dealer who sold me my car - that does not mean as a consumer I'm not going to get the absolute best price possible from them. Who has the money to spend more than required? Not me.

Monty was talking about a 70k trophy R not a regular 275

Sent from the Internet.

I'm referring to his sarcastic comment above the Trophy-R post. I still can't quote on this site for some reason.

In m0nty's defence, the original reference was to a 275-R, not a 275 Premium.  I was thinking I needed to take you with me to buy mine, as I would have bought two if I could get them for under $50k...  I couldn't get a 275 Trophy for that price when I was buying, let alone an R...

Of course it's not a war, and I actually have a great relationship with the local dealer who sold me my car - that does not mean as a consumer I'm not going to get the absolute best price possible from them. Who has the money to spend more than required? Not me.

I might be wrong, but I'd guess that the average car salesperson hoping to support a young family in a major city would dearly love to have $50K spare for a new toy.

Back to the OP, I think that you need to sit down and make sure you know what you're getting. If people on this forum can't agree on the suspension of the varying 275s then make sure you can find out!

Then ... you can test drive and negotiate.

But I agree with an earlier post that a test drive isn't needed if you loved the 265 you rented - depending on the km it couldn't have been in the kind of condition the car you're looking at!

What I'm curious about is why go for the 275 premium if you loved the 265? I think that most of the options I have on mine I'd happily live without (bar the no longer available bixenons) if I saved several thousand I could then spend on performance later. The seats are something you'd have to have a long think about in regards to comfort and rear legroom.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

27AME, if you have such a great relationship with your dealer why don't you ask them for the cheapest price on a 275?

I know a lot of the guys on here and get along with them quite well. Cast me in that salesman cast if you want, but at the end of the day I'm an honest, and sometimes very blunt enthusiast. When people conspire on an open forum to discuss the lowest price they can get a car it opens up a can of bullsh*ttery where some will chest beat about the price they got. Fact is, I know better than most people what that car costs a dealer and scoff at the suggestion that they can be picked up under $50k. Like I said, I'll buy some too if you manage to find one.

• Like 1

Why would I ask them for their cheapest price when I'm not in the market for one? As someone who works at a dealer, you would know that the best deals get done when someone is ready to buy and has the cash available.

You may very well be right about the Trophy-R, but regardless of your pig headed comment RE: what I thought I could have got one for, you still haven't explained why it's unreasonable to think a 275 Cup Premium can be had for under $50k (keeping in mind under $50k includes prices in the high $49k range). I highly doubt a dealer would leave themselves with under $2k room to move.

Your comment RE: people bragging about the prices they paid, only solidifies my point. Unless you work at a particular dealership, you'll never know what sort of deals can be done on any particular car. Yes, you may know the absolute bottom line on the COST of a car, but big deal.

Also, quit trying to act like I'm 'casting' you as a salesman, when I'm merely reacting to your unnecessarily defensive comments.

• Like 1

Guys I just wanted to say thanks and I appreciate all the advice. I read it all (even the troll posts) before making my final decision today. Was at the dealership all day (I did have to walk out twice) before we struck a deal in the late afternoon.

If my post rubbed some people up the wrong way, then apologies I guess? Newbs would be more likely to follow the 'unwritten rules' if they were written down somewhere I guess. I guess it's good to see people 'debating'. Shows you all care.

Ended up with a Demo 2015 265 Cup Premium. Wasn't a huge fan of the soft feel leather in the 275 and in my opinion the better exhaust and other improvements were not wort the extra $9000.  Looking forward to picking it up in the next few weeks and posting a few pics!

Again, much appreciated! You are all fantastic. Big shout out to user Barny who hit me up privately with some solid advice. 

Cheers.

• Like 1

Back to the OP, I think that you need to sit down and make sure you know what you're getting. If people on this forum can't agree on the suspension of the varying 275s then make sure you can find out!

Then ... you can test drive and negotiate.

But I agree with an earlier post that a test drive isn't needed if you loved the 265 you rented - depending on the km it couldn't have been in the kind of condition the car you're looking at!

What I'm curious about is why go for the 275 premium if you loved the 265? I think that most of the options I have on mine I'd happily live without (bar the no longer available bixenons) if I saved several thousand I could then spend on performance later. The seats are something you'd have to have a long think about in regards to comfort and rear legroom.

Good luck!!

Bixenons?

This is the only option I wished I could add that wan't available. My old car had them and I really noticed the difference when I hired the 265.

Hopefully this is something that can be done aftermarket?

Bixenons?

This is the only option I wished I could add that wan't available. My old car had them and I really noticed the difference when I hired the 265.

Hopefully this is something that can be done aftermarket?

It's one of the reasons I didn't bother looking at the facelift models, and at the time obviously the older models were cheaper. I was initially hesitant about the cornering function but it's great.

The housing looks different on the new ones but I'm sure it could be done aftermarket, but the impact on your 5 year warranty ...