Newbie looking for 182 Cup in Melbourne (cross-post from WTB

korgi

Hi

This is my first post here, but hope it won't be my last if I can get my hands on a car. I'm after a 182 Cup. Baby forces need for a more practical car as my daily driver is a Lotus Elise and wife has grabbed the 4 door.

No real preference for colour.

Low mileage preferred, but condition is the most important criteria. No hurry, as I want the right car, but the cash is here and waiting to be used. These days cars seem to be a good investment compared to the share market and property. And they provide more smiles.

Based in Melbourne, and unwilling to travel at this stage.

Cheers

Korgi

This is my first post here, but hope it won't be my last if I can get my hands on a car. I'm after a 182 Cup. Baby forces need for a more practical car as my daily driver is a Lotus Elise and wife has grabbed the 4 door.

welcome korgi,

I can understand your situation, a few years ago I was after a lotus/s3 birkin/caterham but newborns meant I had to compromise. Hope you land one soon, there should be a stack out there since the leases on the later 182Cups have expired...

Welcome and good luck.

Out of interest, has the Elise been sold already?

I didn't get the feeling he was selling (Good man if you're not!!) 8)

PS. Welcome & hope you can find a good 'un!!

Welcome and good luck.

Thanks and correct. Not said anything about selling (it's a condition of my marriage)!!

The Elise has a Recaro race seat, 6-point harness, high spring rate suspension etc... I will probably make it even more of a track car once I get a 182 cup. It was fine when I didn't have to drive it into work everyday, but it becomes a bit tiring when you have to be cm perfect when trying to swipe your card at the work car park strapped into a harness and in a low car, wearing a suit, with a stereo that you can't hear unless you're at the lights etc. The Elise is a great car in the right conditions, but driving into work in a traffic just ain't fun. I just need another commuting car and want something which is still fun to drive when I'm not in traffic or want a change from the Elise. And it would be nice to be able to take my 7 month old son for a drive in a fun car (the other car (now wife's) is an automatic 5 series BMW - practical, safe, well built etc, but hardly something you just want to jump into on a weekend morning for a blast up a twisty mountain road).

Welcome and good luck.

Thanks and correct. Not said anything about selling (it's a condition of my marriage)!!

The Elise has a Recaro race seat, 6-point harness, high spring rate suspension etc... I will probably make it even more of a track car once I get a 182 cup. It was fine when I didn't have to drive it into work everyday, but it becomes a bit tiring when you have to be cm perfect when trying to swipe your card at the work car park strapped into a harness and in a low car, wearing a suit, with a stereo that you can't hear unless you're at the lights etc. The Elise is a great car in the right conditions, but driving into work in a traffic just ain't fun. I just need another commuting car and want something which is still fun to drive when I'm not in traffic or want a change from the Elise. And it would be nice to be able to take my 7 month old son for a drive in a fun car (the other car (now wife's) is an automatic 5 series BMW - practical, safe, well built etc, but hardly something you just want to jump into on a weekend morning for a blast up a twisty mountain road).

Ah, I see... Well, I think the Clio definitely fits the bill for you. Docile when you need it to be, but a slight twitch of your right foot will get it all excited should you be in the mood. :)

I will seriously be looking at an Elise for my next car - although I have doubts about whether I can fit behind the wheel! (I'm 6'2").

Good luck!

Welcome and good luck.

Ah, I see... Well, I think the Clio definitely fits the bill for you. Docile when you need it to be, but a slight twitch of your right foot will get it all excited should you be in the mood. :)

I will seriously be looking at an Elise for my next car - although I have doubts about whether I can fit behind the wheel! (I'm 6'2").

Good luck!

Thanks

You'd be surprised how much leg room there is once you manage to get in. This question appears on a Elise forums often and I have tall friends that drive Elises. Unless you have, for example, a disporportionately long torso (head hitting roof or top of screen impeding view) , you should be fine. Short people seem to have more of a problem. I'm about 172cm (I think) and with the race seat if I were any shorter I couldn't reach the pedals. There is a limit to how far the std sliding seat can go forward before hitting the gear lever surround.

I definitely have longer legs than a longer torso, so this is encouraging news. Thanks!

My next car list is now looking like: Elise vs. EVO vs. Mint condition Citroen DS vs. 370Z (when it's released). Good luck to me cross shopping against those 4!

I definitely have longer legs than a longer torso, so this is encouraging news. Thanks!

My next car list is now looking like: Elise vs. EVO vs. Mint condition Citroen DS vs. 370Z (when it's released). Good luck to me cross shopping against those 3!

I've driven an Exige/Elise several times, and I always drag the seat forward about 5cm, as I prefer to have a slightly bent leg than straight leg. No problems fitting at all and I'm 6'2" 8)

and I don't even find them that hard to get in & out of, as long as you don't have a gut & can bend a little, learn the "ass in first" technique and you're sweet!! :wink: