Convert To RSC - Sydney

Sevenish

Hi all,

Been reading this forum for a few days, as I have decided to sell my clubman 7 and XR8 Pursuit Ute (AUII) and buy a RSC 172 MkII (and pay some debt with the change!)

Just looking for now until the other cars sell, but wondering if there are any blatent gotchas when buying a 172.

I learnt to drive in a mini (classic one) and love the 172 - drove a silver one in Prestige EuroSports on Parramatta Rd, Haberfield (they also have a 12,000 mile Lotus Elan II!) and couldnt believe how much fun it was (consider I own a Lotus 7 replica!).

So besides dodgy aircon and big 60,000km services - what are other things to look for, as I want to get my backside into a 172 ASAP

Cheers

Nev

BTW Congratulations on the friendliest car forum I have come across - no mean feat!

Welcome Nev! Good to see FINALLY another Sydney-sider joining up :mrgreen: AND from the INNER-WEST :wink:

I've got a 182 so can't help u too much but by lunch time tomorrow there'll be numerous posts helping you out. Also, you could run a quick search for 'common issues'... I think there may even be a thread in either Clio II or Technical...

Good luck with the search & the sale of the other 2 beasts. I'm sure ppl would be willing to help you look over a car if needed.

Cheers,

Alex

PS I think the forum is so friendly because these cars are so great stock & combined with the small tuning market over here there ain't too much bragging (although there's definitely some) about "my 4 zorsts added 13psi boost & then the Tempe Tyres decals added another 20hp!!", kind of stuff lol

Hi all,

Been reading this forum for a few days, as I have decided to sell my clubman 7 and XR8 Pursuit Ute (AUII) and buy a RSC 172 MkII (and pay some debt with the change!)

Sevenish,

Welcome to the forum... I love the Clubman-type cars and hope to afford one in a few years time... I hope you don't miss it too much when you sell it ... Good luck with finding a 172!!

Welcome, can't imagine leaving 7 heaven, but guess they are not too practical.

Check inner cv joint boots. On later 172s they can't be serviced (and I've tried a cv expert who says its just dumb design, the spacing of the ridges means they rub against eachother and wear and once torn the grease flies out) which means replacing the driveshaft at some cost.

No real issues, best advise i would give is to find one that still has warranty on it.

Mechanically they are pretty solid though i have heard of drive shafts splines being stripped.

Things to look for:

- Wear on the steering wheel (expensive to replace but covered under warranty)

- Worn engine mounts, accelerate hard in 1st to redline, you will hear a thump against the firewall if they are worn

- Cold start issue, Somethines they wont start first go, but a flick on and off of the key to prime the pump solves this, common issue they all do it, some more the others

Thats all i can think of really, im sure others will post up more. Mechanically they are great, of course abused ones will have issues further on, and if rattles arent your thing then i suggest you buy ear plugs :)

RMADRID - If you want to, I am more than happy to swap my clubbie for a good condition low km 172 phase II - PM me for details!

BTW car is 20V 120KW in a 500kg chassis, rose jointed, road registered rocket - but no back seat for my little girl! insurance is about 450 per annum for 4000km road use (I am 37, full no claim, no tickets)

Nev

RMADRID - If you want to, I am more than happy to swap my clubbie for a good condition low km 172 phase II - PM me for details!

BTW car is 20V 120KW in a 500kg chassis, rose jointed, road registered rocket - but no back seat for my little girl! insurance is about 450 per annum for 4000km road use (I am 37, full no claim, no tickets)

Nev

Sevenish,

Thank you for the kind offer,momentarily there thoughts of selling one of my kidneys crossed my mind.. however, at the moment I need to be able to cart kids and shopping around too :( so I need my Clio RS182. The plan is to upgrade in a year or two's time to Clio197Cup... a couple of years after that & with saving, get a clubman or similar for the weekend track and road use.

BTW how come just 172MkII, would you not consider a used 182? Is there a certain budget you need to stick to? Or is it the characteristics of a 172 that appeals?

Mate - I have about 20K to spend on a RCS once I sell clubbie and XR8 Ute.

Same problem, I have a little girl I need to cart around, and no rear seats - so a RCS172II seems lik ethe best car/cost compromise that will put a smile on my face.

The Clubbie and Ute are both fantastic cars, but not appropriate right now, and no car is more important than your kids.

Add to this the fact that I have just copped a 25K per annum pay cost in order to change jobs (necessary in the long run!) and I cant run two cars anymore

So if you know someone who wants a clubbie for the cost of a RCS Clio, then let me know!

Nev

Hey Nev,

Welcome to the forum! Good to see another Inner Westy sign up! You actually test drive the 172 around the corner from me. How'd it go? In good nick? I've only ever seen it at night.

Judging by where your Clubbie is, I'm assuming you may actually see my car pretty often in the area :wink:

Hope you find what you are after mate!

Cheers,

Steven

I've seen a 172 Cup turn into Toelle St of of Victoria Rd in Rozelle, and another one parked in Kingston St in Haberfield near my G/F's place (who btw does not see why I want to go from a big V8 ute to a small car - she will be eductaed soon!)

Nev

I've seen a 172 Cup turn into Toelle St of of Victoria Rd in Rozelle, and another one parked in Kingston St in Haberfield near my G/F's place (who btw does not see why I want to go from a big V8 ute to a small car - she will be eductaed soon!)

Nev

That's interesting... what colour is the one on Kingston St?

Welcome mate, good luck with the purchase!