New forum member from Sydney saying hi !

Dantheman

Hi all

I recently came across the forum and was blown away by everyone's enthusiasm for these great little cars.

Having read rave reviews about Clio Sports, i took an '02 172 for a drive last weekend and had a great time. I also drove an '04 WRX by way of comparison (I was looking at these previously) but definitely preferred the RCS. I guess it was just a 'feel' thing.

I'm now struggling to decide whether to go for a 172 or 182 model - and was wondering how great the difference is on the road? Is it very noticeable? 182's seem to be pretty scarce on the ground.

I have my eyes on a '03 172 (unmodified) with 35,000 odd kms on the clock. Price is $23K with a 3 year dealer warranty. Can anyone advise whether they think this is a good deal?

I'm hoping to do some track days and some driver training so hopefully i'll catch up with other members after getting my hands on a car !

Cheers

Dan

Welcome to the forum mate, I would go for a 182 Cup (cuase I have one) as the suspension is stiffer and it's a great out of the box set-up.

However, the 172 sounds like a top deal and some peole would argue the money you save on a cup pack could go to Eibachs, Koni's, Camber bolts, sway bar and you'll have a sick ride. Chuck in a bit more for some intake, ECU and exhaust mods and most the forum would be jealous of your ride.

You missed the last drive day, check out the social section tonight should be some more photos up, have a look at Paul's awsome three wheel lift off.

If you want to have a quick blat in my cup just PM me :P

Welcome to the forum Dan!

Good to see you've been knocked some sense into you to bypass the WRX and move on into RSC territory. You won't be disappointed with the 172 or 182 Cup! Either way, great buys... especially considering depreciation!

Check www.carsales.com.au > Some good buys there!

Your deal doesn't seem too bad... but being an '03 model, do you remember if it has ESP? Also, 3 year dealer warranty means for the next 3 years you need to take it to ONLY that dealer. So, up to you. Probably best to get a newer car and extend the warranty with Renault themselves.

Either way, good luck and can't wait to see you on the road sometime in a Clio.

Where abouts are you located in Sydney?

Cheers,

Steven

Hey Dan ... Welcome mate.

Cant go wrong with both models. I had a 172 and it was great .... a lot of the guys here have 172's and they dont have any problems keep up .... or in some cases in front of the 182 boys :wink::wink:

If you need a hand with looking at your prospective car sing out ... lots of people here who would be happy to help.

So what dealer has the 172?

I saw a nice (from the raod) looking 172 at Hatchback World on the weekend . Silver ... those guys have been around for ages and i know they are honest people. If the car your looking at is still under warranty you may be able to pay for the extended Renault warranty .. might be worth it.

Also we have a good mech here ... Paul V ... so another person who could look at the car for you. He has a 182 ... an can drive the pants of it ... :wink:

Anyway ... good luck ... sing out if you need a hand .

Dom

I saw a nice (from the raod) looking 172 at Hatchback World on the weekend . Silver ... those guys have been around for ages and i know they are honest people. If the car your looking at is still under warranty you may be able to pay for the extended Renault warranty .. might be worth it.

Dom, that's been there for over 9 months. They bought it for $16990 I think, and began advertising it at $22,990... as the private seller still had their ad on the web for a while after Hatchback world had it. It's a 2001 model (no warranty... probably their own dealer thing) and has 69,000kms. Still on original tyres, which is weird. Maybe it had aftermarkets for a while?

Still sounds overpriced.

Good luck with the hunt though Dan! You'll find something soon enough

Welcome to the forum Dan!

Good to see you've been knocked some sense into you to bypass the WRX and move on into RSC territory. You won't be disappointed with the 172 or 182 Cup! Either way, great buys... especially considering depreciation!

Check www.carsales.com.au > Some good buys there!

Your deal doesn't seem too bad... but being an '03 model, do you remember if it has ESP? Also, 3 year dealer warranty means for the next 3 years you need to take it to ONLY that dealer. So, up to you. Probably best to get a newer car and extend the warranty with Renault themselves.

Either way, good luck and can't wait to see you on the road sometime in a Clio.

Where abouts are you located in Sydney?

Cheers,

Steven

Hi guys

Wow - thanks for all the kind offers of help from everyone. I really appreciate it.

Steven - good point on the warranty and only being able to go to that dealer (John Newell - not sure if anyone has seen it?). I wonder if that means that all servicing also has to be done there (aswell as an warranty issues)? I guess i'll double check when i go and look at the car again on the weekend.

Not actually sure if the car has ESP. I know it had the electronic break force distribution feature. Was ESP an option on the 2003 models?

Thanks again everyone - looking forward to meeting you all on drive day. I'm based in Artarmon (near Chatswood).

BTW - do you guys have a preferred driver training place in Sydney?

Cheers guys

Dan

Dom, that's been there for over 9 months. They bought it for $16990 I think, and began advertising it at $22,990... as the private seller still had their ad on the web for a while after Hatchback world had it. It's a 2001 model (no warranty... probably their own dealer thing) and has 69,000kms. Still on original tyres, which is weird. Maybe it had aftermarkets for a while?

Still sounds overpriced.

Good luck with the hunt though Dan! You'll find something soon enough

Has it really ... wow i need to get out more past Rooty Hill .... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well as i said looked ok from the other side of the road.

Dan ... these are a great bunch of guys so i am sure you wont have any problems with getting help.

Welcome (soon we hope) to the Renault family :wink:

We are only here to help! I'm sure everyone is more then happy to lend a hand to get a fellow member into a RSC :)

Yea, the warranty would be dealer then... and considering John Newell is a Mazda dealer... that is a little puzzling! I mean, how would they know what to look for and to speak to Renault Head Office? :?

ESP became standard in 2003 I think... so some have it, others don't. If you have a picture of the car, check the side indicators. If they are orange, it doesn't have ESP (Electronic Stability Program)... if they are clear, it does! There should also be a button on the right side of the steering wheel... on the dash, just beside the interior-light dimmer. Look for 'ESP' on the button :D

Argh yes, Artarmon. I'm there... sometimes.

As for driver training - I'd suggest maybe Ian Luff @ Oran Park.

Steven

Welcome mate!!

good luck with the search. any help needed just PM someone. most will be willing!! if u wanna see lots of 182s (mostly cups) come to Balmain for the day lol

Wade has a nice low km red 172 for a (IMO) bargain but not sure the warranty status... check the for sale section of this forum!!!

cheers,

Alex

Welcome.

If you are based in the North, Waitara had a few 172s in good condition not too long ago. That said, I booked my car in for service there yesterday and the guy mentioned he thought they had finally sold my 172.

I actually bought the 172 when it was 1 year old from Hatchback World. I ended up with a good price so don't take notice of what it says on the tag.

Happy hunting,

Deb

check the side indicators. If they are orange, it doesn't have ESP (Electronic Stability Program)... if they are clear, it does!

Serious?

I'm pretty sure my indicator things are orange... I've got a late 03 172 and it has esp.... but maybe they started the orange white thing later.. or before i dunno!!

Good luck with the buy mate, I drove both (I was either getting a brand new 182 cup or a used 172) and Although i preferred the 182 (obviously because it was new), in reality there isnt a heap of difference. As jeffster says, theres not much you can't do to a 172 that won't bring it over the '182 spec' bar. rightly said also, with the money you save you can put into modding it,

But with that said, interior quality (probably) won't be as good - as leather ages quickly!!

Some people even prefer the 172 to the 182, because its lighter, and although theres a little more body roll (suspension isnt as stiff as the 182) you can definately use that to cornering advantage.

IMO its definately just up to the fact whether you want a newer car, or an older one. and one that looks a little better!! (damn those rear exhausts!!)

Good luck, and welcome!!

Imran

OK... sorry... I meant that those with the 'white' indicators are switchable. Is that right?

Imran, you sure you have ESP then? Ever done a burnout (unintensional... i.e. popping the clutch too quick at the lights!)... did ESP kick in?

OK... sorry... I meant that those with the 'white' indicators are switchable. Is that right?

Imran, you sure you have ESP then? Ever done a burnout (unintensional... i.e. popping the clutch too quick at the lights!)... did ESP kick in?

Thanks again everyone for the welcome and tips.

Actually going to test drive the '03 172 i was looking at on the net tomorrow morning. Should be able to confirm then whether it has ESP (by looking for the switch rather than by the burnout test, or maybe by both) :) I'll let you guys know. Might also head up to Waitara for a look around too.

Couldn't see many 182's in the ads today. Will keep my eye out but if i love the 172 tomorrow morning i guess it might be a keeper!

Cheers all

Dan

Thanks again everyone for the welcome and tips.

Actually going to test drive the '03 172 i was looking at on the net tomorrow morning. Should be able to confirm then whether it has ESP (by looking for the switch rather than by the burnout test, or maybe by both) :) I'll let you guys know. Might also head up to Waitara for a look around too.

Couldn't see many 182's in the ads today. Will keep my eye out but if i love the 172 tomorrow morning i guess it might be a keeper!

Cheers all

Dan

Hi all

Can confirm that the 172 i checked out had clear side indicators and did have switchable ESP. Got to say, i liked the flame red colour too.

But still trying to decide on whether to go through with it and part with the hard-earned !

Cheers

Dan

Haha, No I do burnouts when i switch the button off :wink:

I've got the little button down the right where the light fading thingy is... and i have orange indicators.

EDIT: ESP Kicks in. especially on wet roads etc..