New to Me Renault Megane RS 280

Schickers

Hey Everyone, 

I have recently put bought a liquid yellow Megane RS280 Sport with all the bells and whistles but due to the long weekend here in VIC won't be able to get the car until next week, needless to say I am super excited and can't wait to take ownership.

I did have a couple of questions as I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere.

Which engine oil would you recommend?

Same as above but which coolant would you recommend? 

I like to keep a bottle on hand of each just in case the need arises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schickers said:

Hey Everyone, 

I have recently put bought a liquid yellow Megane RS280 Sport with all the bells and whistles but due to the long weekend here in VIC won't be able to get the car until next week, needless to say I am super excited and can't wait to take ownership.

I did have a couple of questions as I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere.

Which engine oil would you recommend?

Same as above but which coolant would you recommend? 

I like to keep a bottle on hand of each just in case the need arises.

Elf oil/coolant etc are recommended for RenaultSports by Renault - you can get it from the distributor Peak Oil at 306 Abbotts Rd, Sth Dandenong. Phone 9799 0977

May not be as  cheap as some other products - but it is very good stuff...................

Edited by slick
  • Like 1

The M5P404 uses 0W40 but it’s some Renault specific stuff called RN17 but this oil is specific to Euro 6 compliant vehicles which the RS280/300 is not as they don’t have the petrol particulate filter. 

Castrol make some but I doubt the RN17 is required if you’re just topping up the oil. That said, the M5P404 has no history of eating oil despite being a high boost engine and in the last 10,000km of my ownership, mine hasn’t lost any. 

@slick Thank you for that suggestion, I will make an enquiry with them.

@Pokinacha So something like Castrol EDGE Synthetic 0W-40 would be appropriate for topping up?

Coming from a MK6 GTI just got used to having to do the odd top up here and there between services. 

52 minutes ago, Schickers said:

@slick Thank you for that suggestion, I will make an enquiry with them.

@Pokinacha So something like Castrol EDGE Synthetic 0W-40 would be appropriate for topping up?

Coming from a MK6 GTI just got used to having to do the odd top up here and there between services. 

Probably stating the bleedin' obvious here - you need to use the same oil to top up as what is in the sump!!

15 minutes ago, Schickers said:

@slick for sure was just trying to clarify if that Castrol Edge would be a correct alternative or would I be making my way down to South Dandenong which is what I am leaning towards. 

I think going with the Elf oil is a good move. It has always been my philosophy that good high performance engines should have the best oil available - especially if they are used as they are designed to be used (ie high revs on a race track).

The oil I use ( and get from Peak oils) is the latest Elf high performance full synthetic Evolution 900 SXR 5W40 for our Clio 182.

1 hour ago, slick said:

I think going with the Elf oil is a good move. It has always been my philosophy that good high performance engines should have the best oil available - especially if they are used as they are designed to be used (ie high revs on a race track).

The oil I use ( and get from Peak oils) is the latest Elf high performance full synthetic Evolution 900 SXR 5W40 for our Clio 182.

@slick Awesome I will look into that one then, really appreciate your help :D

• Like 1

Welcome!

You don't have a lot of options with oils in Australia. You may be able to source Castrol Edge RN 17RSA from a Renault dealer. You can also order it from here: https://shop.renaultsport.com/RSperformance/huile-moteur-castrol-edge-0w40-rn17-rsa-5l.html and postage is reasonable.

As mentioned above, other option is Elf Evolution RN-Tech Sport 0W40. 900 SXR 5W40 is not suitable for the RS280/300. Viscosity and SAPS requirements for this engine is extremely specific and you can't just use any old oil.

If you look at regular 0w40 Castrol edge, SAPS is a lot higher, as well as the viscosity is lower across the board.

Edited by Dave200
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Schickers said:

@Dave200 Thanks for the info, should I be concerned about how hard these oils seem to be to come by? 

I dont think you should be concerned, a dealer should always carry this oil. It is reasonably easy to order from Europe so maybe just keep a couple of bottles on hand.

10 hours ago, Schickers said:

@Dave200 Thanks for the info, should I be concerned about how hard these oils seem to be to come by? 

Peak oils always have heaps of Elf product in stock as they are the distributors.

• Thanks 1