RS 265 Models Explained

Twalis

Hi All

I'm looking into buying a Megan RS 265 - and the more and more I read/watch about it the more hooked I am. I used to be a WRX driver but sold the car to be a family man, but just can't drive boring cars any more - Dad needs more fun on the work commute

One thing I'm finding difficult though is to understand all the differences in the different models. What you give up vs. what you get from model to model

For example I though the Trophy was one of the top models but just reading an article about the Trophy and its says

"Under the bonnet it’s identical  to other RS 265s, but it misses out on some of the special RS electronics and trickery of the Cup models."

I thought the Cup was the base model in the 265?

Is there a thread on this forum that goes through the differences on each model?

Appreciate any guidance on this one guys.

Twalis

Hi and welcome

Firstly don't expect to get an understanding of what the differences are. Go and spend your time getting a degree in something useful. I swear the pre facelift (manufactured prior to July 2014) nomenclature was stupid and confusing. And annoying.

What you need to know:

Every Australian 265 bar the "limited edition" or L.E. which had silver 18" wheels and cloth recaros (eg this one:

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Megane-2013/OAG-AD-15226879) have what you want - LSD, cup chassis etc. I suspect you were reading a UK article where they regularly had models without LSD and cup chassis/suspension.

If you want a cheap and reliable one without all the fruit, just get a cup. If you want everything the trophy+ came with it. If you want all the fruit plus the upgraded RS monitor then the RB8 is your car.

What I'd recommend is you post up some cars that are in your price range and we can comment on them.

Just off the top of my head these are the variants:

Limited edition

Cup

Cup+

Trophy

Trophy+

RB7

RB8

And probably one or two others!

• Like 1

Cheers Chuckovski
Hey - were the Recaro seats optional regardless of the model?
I used to have bucket seats in my old WRX and keen to get them again. That said how supportive are the standard seats?
Thanks
Twalis
I think you couldn't get them in certain models like the cup and cup+. Trophy+ finely had them as an option but leather only. They came standard in the L.E. But only in cloth. The leather recaros came standard in the RB8.

Apparently all the seats are recaros, but not all have the brand on them.

I don't mind mine - I've got leather standard seats and it's fun around the track. The sports bucket seats world be better but not a deal breaker IMHO.

What I do love are the active bixenon headlights. They're awesome.

Thanks again Chuckovski

Really helpful

Hope you don't mind another question but I was also trying to understand the big difference between the 250 vs 265. I get the extra kw and 15bhp, which can be accessed in race mode - but whats your opinion when it comes to normal driving day to day and giving the car a squirt on normal roads? I ask because I notice there seems to be more cars available in market than the 265 at the moment

Thanks again for what you've shared

Thanks again Chuckovski

Really helpful

Hope you don't mind another question but I was also trying to understand the big difference between the 250 vs 265. I get the extra kw and 15bhp, which can be accessed in race mode - but whats your opinion when it comes to normal driving day to day and giving the car a squirt on normal roads? I ask because I notice there seems to be more cars available in market than the 265 at the moment

Thanks again for what you've shared

No problems!

Very little difference, though I think the models for 250 were cup and trophee, though I could be mistaken. Has some limited editions like Monaco GP which are cosmetic only changes. The trophee had the bixenon lights and recaros, though I'm not sure if they were options or not.

You also should know that every 265 is a 250 until you press the sports button, which reduces or switches off traction control and adds 10hp.

There are some minor cosmetic upgrades to the 265 but nothing major.

Take all this with a grain of salt though, as I spent so much brain power trying to figure out the 265 models when I bought mine it probably displaced all the knowledge about the 250.

The modified 250s in the classifieds section are easily faster than my standard trophy+, so if you're after pace, they're what you're after.

Also where are you? Most people are pretty happy for you to have a look at theirs, have a drive etc.

I'm in the Illawarra if that's close for you

2 hours ago, Twalis said:

Hi Chuckovski

not to worry I found this thread 

thanks for all the input

No problems - I would have searched for previous threads but they're too hard to find! 

If there's anything that doesn't cover, post it up. Having a quick read through I was off a bit on the 250s, so good to have a thread about them. 

Re belts - every 4 years, can't remember the number of km but I thought it was more like 80000km. I wouldn't worry too much, just be more fussy on where it was serviced. People on the forum keep on about Virage Automotive, Alpine Affair, Auto Paris (all in Mel). Don't take a dealer stamp as worth much (you probably know this anyway but worth restating). Hopefully someone from Melbourne can post here to confirm this - never used them personally obviously. 

It's worth traveling to Sydney to buy one looked after by either Renotech or Paul V at AP Automotive.  It's a buyer's market (still!) so you can be picky. 

Just to give you an example, Renotech fitted my A1RM brake pads and did the bedding in. The way they did it left me with awesome street and track pads. Others have had appalling experiences with them. I credit them for this. Paul V will be doing my belts hopefully soon if I can get up there in the next few weeks. 

Im not so sure.. but I thought the Red bull versions did not come with xenon directional headlights?

If your getting a 250 I recommend a Trophee. The trophee comes with recaros, directional headlights and so on.

Mine is a 250 Australian GP. Only real difference is the moon roof and body coloured matched bits, but then again some Trophee's came with them too.. its confusing.

Im not so sure.. but I thought the Red bull versions did not come with xenon directional headlights?
If your getting a 250 I recommend a Trophee. The trophee comes with recaros, directional headlights and so on.
Mine is a 250 Australian GP. Only real difference is the moon roof and body coloured matched bits, but then again some Trophee's came with them too.. its confusing.

RB7 didn't come with xenon's, RB8 came with everything
  • Like 1

Hey Guys
thanks for the tips. Going to see this car on the weekend. Thought I would get your views and see if you knew of any history on the car via this forum
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2011/SSE-AD-3774628/?Cr=14
Cheers

Looks good, nice to hear about two paint protections, probably a good sign.
Others better versed in 250s would have to confirm that the cloth recaros are normal...

Im not biased as i sold it but the very very best Megane 265 ever built and as everyone knows is of course ......

....  the 808 Limited Edition in Liquid Yellow.

it has what you want and are well priced. do yourself a favour and grab one

that is all :D

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...