engine oil

blackie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Elf Excellium?? why not Elf Ultimate which is what is in the clio manual...

Cheers

Justin

P.s Radiohead OK Computer ... great album

Elf Excellium GP 5W40

As to where you can buy it... seriously dude you dont even have to leave this page to find your answer.

Josh

Yep $10 a litre but you have to buy 15L minimum as they are packed in boxes of 3 x 5L, Courier will cost you about $14 so $164 for 15L aint too bad.

Service was verry good when i ordered and it was delivered the next day, highly reccomend them...

In stock.. Does that mean you sell them?

I keep in stock full range of elf, excellium 5w-40 & competition semi synth

also Neo full 100% diester base synth lubricants, in 0w-5, 5w-30, 10w-30

10w-40 etc. The ultimate in synth lubricants!

Thanks...

Which one?

LDX http://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produit/ ... 1/1112.pdf

or

XLL http://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produit/ ... 1/4304.pdf

Justin

Excellium is the beez knees... its the best stuff

Elf Excellium?? why not Elf Ultimate which is what is in the clio manual...

Cheers

Justin

P.s Radiohead OK Computer ... great album

elf excellium is the stuff to use, as per the manual. Very rare Elf, in the UK too. But I managed to find a cheap stockist, like £2 a litre. Think this is about 500% cheaper than renault dealers.

So I bought 48 litres of the stuff to use for oil changes and services. Had one at 6000mile and nearly ready for first 12K service.

Castrol, Shell, Mobil, Valvoline etc are all made & blended in Aust unless

otherwise stated on container which are made with a group 1 base stock.

U.S.A & Europe lubricants are based on a group 2 or 3 stock which is of a higher quality, more costly to produce. At the end of the day you pay for what you get, the choice is up to you.

What about Castrol R 0W-40?

instead of Elf 5W-40

?

I've just put 5L of Castrol Formula R 5W-30 in mine. Took it for an early morning run yesterday. Must have been a combination of 12C air temp and new oil but I swear the engine spun up more freely. Smacked 7,200rpm in second before shifting into third and backing off. Big grin for sure. :D

i must say i was amazed at the difference in my MkII after the 50k (my first) service. throttle response, engine note, smoothness. it was all dramatically improved, much much more so than any other car i've had in the past. definitely going to change my oil every 5000 kays!

• 1 year later...

Asked Renault Customer Service about oil yesterday. They told me that dealers have been asked to use "Renault label" oil which is ELF (presumably packaged as a 'house brand'). They also said that the correct grade for Clio Sport is 15 W 40, I queried that cos the table inside the owner's manual suggests 5 W 40 and she repeated 15 W 40. I also asked about the fact that dealer supplies Castrol and was told that the request (order?) for them to use Renault Oil had just gone out in the last week. She added that as long as it was 15 W 40 it was ok.

I also asked about fuel as the label inside my filler door specifies Premium Unleaded ie 95 octane and was told that 98 octane is recommended but was probably not available when the car was sold. (Incorrect as Shell have been selling it for quite a number of years). She didn't think the cars have a knock sensor. If that is the case and they have been set up to accept 95 then 98 is unlikely to make any difference to performance or economy.

Asked Renault Customer Service about oil yesterday. They told me that dealers have been asked to use "Renault label" oil which is ELF (presumably packaged as a 'house brand'). They also said that the correct grade for Clio Sport is 15 W 40, I queried that cos the table inside the owner's manual suggests 5 W 40 and she repeated 15 W 40. I also asked about the fact that dealer supplies Castrol and was told that the request (order?) for them to use Renault Oil had just gone out in the last week. She added that as long as it was 15 W 40 it was ok.

I also asked about fuel as the label inside my filler door specifies Premium Unleaded ie 95 octane and was told that 98 octane is recommended but was probably not available when the car was sold. (Incorrect as Shell have been selling it for quite a number of years). She didn't think the cars have a knock sensor. If that is the case and they have been set up to accept 95 then 98 is unlikely to make any difference to performance or economy.

she doesnt know what shes on about. Its 5W40 and they do have knock sensors.

she doesnt know what shes on about. Its 5W40 and they do have knock sensors.

Thanks. Could be geographic, climate related given that ambient temperatures here are slightly higher than in Europe.

Have had a turbo Volvo for 19 years and started it off on Mobil 1, the first synthetic on the Australian market, when that was 15W40 but over time Mobil changed it to 5W40 and I think it is now 0W30, and it was really too thin so a few years ago I went to Mobil S (semi synthetic) 10W40. The Volvo now lives in Far North Queensland where the minimum night time temp in the middle of winter is about 15C.

15W-40 is correct for the Standard Clios, unfortunately a lot of dealers forget that the Sports have different requirements.

The dealer I use has just received several pallets of 5W-40 Excellium and will be using it for all their RenaultSport services.

15W-40 is correct for the Standard Clios, unfortunately a lot of dealers forget that the Sports have different requirements.

The dealer I use has just received several pallets of 5W-40 Excellium and will be using it for all their RenaultSport services.

Thanks. Will probably change the oil myself @ 35k and use a different grade. It is a pity that Renault can't give a consistent response.

• 1 year later...