Introducing Myself

JG172

I bought a 2001 Renault Sport Clio 172 about a year ago, having previously owned a Peugeot 206 GTI180, then a Holden SS Commodore which did a good job towing but was not so good in other than straight lines.

My Clio is a stock standard example with only 140,000 Km on it. It turns out that one of the guys in my car club was the original owner so I have a good idea of it's history, aside from the intervening owner.

I am into motorsport, most recently having driven the Renault in a regularity at the Bathurst Motor Festival. First time I've even driven Bathurst in anger - what an absolutely magical circuit. It was to have been a bucket list item but now I want to go back!

I am a member of Wollongong Sporting Car Club and Southern Sporting Car Club. I have also been involved and raced in the NSW Excel series in 2013 and 2014. You might think Hyundai Excels wouldn't be much of a race car but they are so much fun to race.

I regularly compete in Supersprints and our local Huntley Hillclimb at Dapto NSW.

I'm also involved in the Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party.  Worth supporting to help protect our enthusiast lifestyle.

- John

post-21877-0-86857900-1463098309_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Welcome John. It's a great community here, positive, educational and supportive and we share a common interest - what more could you want.

I am a member of Wollongong Sporting Car Club and Southern Sporting Car Club. I have also been involved and raced in the NSW Excel series in 2013 and 2014. You might think Hyundai Excels wouldn't be much of a race car but they are so much fun to race.

I can absolutely believe that. I started racing (in another lifetime) in formula Gemini, believe it or not, which I think would be very similar to racing Excels - great fun and a fantastic grounding for entry into motorsport... and it can only make your road car feel so much better!

Welcome to the fold, sounds like you've picked up a minty car.

I really wanted to pick up an Hyundai Excel for competition one year, I've heard great things about the Excel Cups. A great low cost entry into motorsport! Hoping I can hit up a hillclimb down in Wollongong sometime soon with my own entry.

Welcome mate!

Be keen to see you on a local short notice drive - been trying to get some time to go for a spin on the weekend. Quite a number of Illawarra Renault owners. 

Keep an eye on the NSW short drive thread (subscribe!) and hopefully there'll be something there soon. 

I'm also keen to get along to Huntley soon ... been wanting to for years!