Just Bought A Clio Rs 200 Edc Cup!

ZoomJC

Hey people, I remember registering on this site waaay back in 2011 when I first thought about buying a RS Megane 250 after going for one of the more memorable test drives I've done.

Well, years down the track, I have finally grown out of my RX8 and bit the bullet to join the RenaultSport family. 3 kids under 10yo has forced my hand in buying a "sensible" car and after much deliberation, I picked the Clio RS200 over the Polo GTI because a) it is less "sensible" than the VW, b) it had more rear seat room for 2 child seats and a skinny 9 yo, and c) my distrust of dual clutch transmissions demanded that I get something with a 5 year warranty.

The 1-month old demo with 500km on the clock was in the rather funky Liquid Yellow colour too, and the Cup chassis felt more planted than the Polo GTI on a vigorous drive up and down the Adelaide Hills. The less refined, but more vocal engine and exhaust also tickled my fancy and hopefully will make up for the loss of my manual transmission RWD love.

So I shall be picking up my brand new toy sometime in the next week once the optional reverse sensors are fitted. Looking forward to this new ownership experience with French flair, but hopefully no reliability woes. Will be pouring through the forums for ownership tips and other interesting info - so thanks in advance for your collective wisdom!

• Like 5

Take care with all that precious cargo but I'm sure that you will still enjoy the benefits of the CLIO. :)

Good choice.   I was looking at a Polo GTi when I bought mine but much preferred the shape (amongst other things) of the Clio.

The new VW Polo & Golf along with the Suzuki Swift hatches and others are too boxy and 'old style' in my view,

The latest Renault Clio and Megane along with the Toyota Corolla, Peugeot 208 GTi, Hyundai, 130i and Elantra, and Ford Fiesta and Focus have improved their hatches a lot in recent years and made them much more streamlined.

Before anyone jumps on me, nothing wrong with the Clio 172,182,197, etc. but there has been a natural progression to the current more streamlined shape.  The earlier models had the advantage of manual transmission though for those who dislike the flappy paddles.   :mrgreen:

In my case it was the best of both worlds coz my missus cannot drive a manual car.

So probably pick up the car on Friday. Dealer is fitting reverse sensors as part of negotiated price but I am considering installing an aftermarket reverse camera as well. Anyone has any experience with these on the base Cup/Sport models? I strongly considered getting the Cup Premium version for the leather and the reverse camera mainly but the "premium" on the cup premium for the other features I won't use or appreciate, as well as availability of premiums locally swung me towards just the base cup. Paying anywhere between $4k to $5k more for leather seats and a reverse camera plus reputedly glitchy software did not make sense to me.

But yeah, looking for any people who used an installer to fit an aftermarket reverse camera in Adelaide to pass on their experiences re. price and quality of the work and equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

Took it for a spirited drive up Norton Summit. Must say that it truly exceeded my expectations. It was a little greasy on the day so a bit of understeer some corners, but otherwise very impressed with the steering and balance. Gear changes not too bad once you get used to it and flick the paddles a little earlier to compensate for the slight delay. Also did my first mod substituting the stock headlights for Osram Nightbreaker Unlimiteds - the right one is the Nightbreaker vs stock on the left. fe298d30ab39fda52f1ed26e81b5db61.jpg

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Took it for a spirited drive up Norton Summit. Must say that it truly exceeded my expectations. It was a little greasy on the day so a bit of understeer some corners, but otherwise very impressed with the steering and balance. Gear changes not too bad once you get used to it and flick the paddles a little earlier to compensate for the slight delay. Also did my first mod substituting the stock headlights for Osram Nightbreaker Unlimiteds - the right one is the Nightbreaker vs stock on the left. fe298d30ab39fda52f1ed26e81b5db61.jpg

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I assume you mean anatomical or stage positions (i.e. driver's perspective)? The 'left' on the photo seems brighter and I would have picked that as the nightbreaker. 

How do you think they compare with xenons? I'm thinking of putting them into our Grand Picasso. I love the xenons in the 265. I think when you have LED DRL that are white you need white headlamps too.  

Car looks great BTW!

Where in Adelaide are you.

nicb205. A spring drive sounds good, when are you thinking?

I'm at colonel light gardens. @gnsa might also be interested. As for when: hmmm I could probably do early-ish Saturdays

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, haven't been here for a little bit. I'm near Glenelg. Would be good to go for a drive if there is enough interest. Pleased to say a couple of months in, I'm still enjoying the ownership experience. I'm quite impressed with how practical the thing is after driving a RX8 for so long.

Hey, haven't been here for a little bit. I'm near Glenelg. Would be good to go for a drive if there is enough interest. Pleased to say a couple of months in, I'm still enjoying the ownership experience. I'm quite impressed with how practical the thing is after driving a RX8 for so long.

7:00 am this Saturday at cross rd/ goodwood rd big w car park

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk