New Trophy-R Owner

Nugs

Hello all, thought I’d introduce myself as I have a 275 Trophy-R on the way.  I’m in Perth and it’s coming from a dealer in NSW as they had the colour I wanted. 

It should get here next week so I only have the Carsales pics for now.

198725309_zpsvaang7yy.jpg

198725319_zpswu3b0z1r.jpg

198725314_zpsuk5auq6h.jpg

198725321_zps94z9lnqr.jpg

This will be my first French car, I’m switching over from a fairly heavily modified BMW 135i. 

A few pics

IMG_3837_zpsiwtqh0vp.jpg

IMG_3836_zpsclhuv4ek.jpg

No%20Limits%20Labour%20Day%202014%2002_z

DSC05774-ZF-9160-11727-1-001-008_zpscqv8

DSC04709-ZF-9160-11727-1-001-002_zpss4qv

85220474-4c74-4b7a-9d4c-be8e2be89cbf_zps

10257469_10152283924223950_6471156170744

IMG_7869.jpg

Midvale15-06-1303_zps2dbed475.jpg

Midvale15-06-1302_zps718adc0d.jpg

and some vids are here

http://www.youtube.com/user/BigNVeiny/videos

It was a great car but I got caught up chasing power which made it a bit unreliable. 

Which meant I spent more time tuning/tweaking than driving and also saw more than my fair share of this

7833ED2C-6A42-4300-BBD6-EE14D0D4944B_zps

7F7BA432-9929-4D37-B551-8D8960496F46_zps

Tuning was just not fully developed for that engine, especially with an upgraded turbo trying to run over double stock boost on e85.

It has gone back to stock and runs fine like that but I thought it was time for a change.

Plan with this car is to just drive the hell out of it and not mess with it and make it worse.  It seems like Renault have put together a well sorted package out of the box so hopefully that won’t be too hard.

One thing I do want to sort out is the silver bolts with black wheels

198725310_zpsya9j9thk.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good set of black bolts?

Or even stud conversion kit?  I did that with the BMW and it made changing wheels so much easier.

From what I’ve read it looks like the hub is M12 x 1.5mm, so can anyone confirm if something like this kit will work?

http://machtschnell.com/competition-stud-conversion-kit.html

• Like 4

Not sure on final power figures.

The graph below shows

-stock (red)

-tuned on 98 with stock turbo (green)

-tuned on 98 with a hybrid turbo ~16psi tapering to 12. (blue)

Had it running up to 21psi on e50 (50% ethanol) which was enough to pull the tyres through all the way through third gear.

But it was inconsistent at that power level and would get phantom misfiring like symptoms no one has figured out yet.

IMG_2634_zpsfe72013e.jpg

Nice purchase :)Hopefully it doesn't arrive too dirty haha! Obviously you've done some test driving of the 275, how does it compare with the modded 135i?

Out of interest, how did you find your 135i's cooling? A friend of mine had one of the earlier ones with a basic remap (mechanically standard), and it used to get hot and go into limp mode after 10 minutes of enthusiastic driving... Not sure if his car had an issue, or they are close to the limit of cooling capacity from factory? Lovely car and engine all the same :)

P.S. love the glowing brake shot

Mine had the N55 which was the single turbo version which seemed to have a better cooling and PCV system than the earlier N54 twin turbo.  

Only ever had heat related limp mode once, after about 10 laps around Collie on a 40 degree day.

For whatever reason it was designed to run the oil hot, 100-110c in normal use, up to 130c on track. 

I changed the oil at least every 5,000kms anyway.

Will give a bit of a comparison when I've had some proper time with it.  

Nice pickup! but im bias I've got the other grey one but mine has red wheels. Inspect the stickers thoroughly as I find odd things like bubbles or ripples every time I look at them. It is a beast of a car compared to even a stock 265, the tyres are incredible when hot but deadly sub 10 degrees ambient.

I'm keen to hear how you find the 275R after the BMW. Day to day driving and track driving.

This is quite funny, I just traded my 135i in for a megane 250. You will not be disappointed, the megane is way more fun, and from what I experienced, much more competent :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Nice pickup! but im bias I've got the other grey one but mine has red wheels. Inspect the stickers thoroughly as I find odd things like bubbles or ripples every time I look at them. It is a beast of a car compared to even a stock 265, the tyres are incredible when hot but deadly sub 10 degrees ambient.

I'm keen to hear how you find the 275R after the BMW. Day to day driving and track driving.

Do you mean the decals?

My wife wants me to take them off but I want to keep them.

I was planning on getting a paint correction and Modesta coating put on as soon as it gets here.  

Need to decide if that will go over the top of the decals or if they come off first.

This is quite funny, I just traded my 135i in for a megane 250. You will not be disappointed, the megane is way more fun, and from what I experienced, much more competent :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

There's seem to be a few of us, I know 2 others on 1addicts now have a Trophy R.

That's what I hope, Stock suspension isn't great on the 135i and the lack of a LSD is criminal.

I sorted all that out but it took a fair bit of time and money.

Congratulations on the purchase; looks great! Keep the decals on though. In regards to paint protection over the decals, I chose a local person who primarily uses Opti-coat Pro+. He stated, it wasn't certified to be used on anything that wasn't clear-coated, therefore the decals remained coat-free, with little to no paint correction applied to the vinyl. I use a good quality spray wax over the decals. I am not sure if Modesta is directly applicable to the Optimum product.

Ditto keep the decals. It's part of the limited edition package, and the next buyer will almost certainly expect to see them on there.

No issues with mine re quality of the decals...

Re: bolts. I just picked up black advan bolts
attachicon.gif IMAG1671.jpg

They look good.  

I've found this but not sure how to buy them

http://www.mackin-ind.com/portfolio/advan-racing-wheel-bolts-standard-length-cap/

Congratulations on the purchase; looks great! Keep the decals on though. In regards to paint protection over the decals, I chose a local person who primarily uses Opti-coat Pro+. He stated, it wasn't certified to be used on anything that wasn't clear-coated, therefore the decals remained coat-free, with little to no paint correction applied to the vinyl. I use a good quality spray wax over the decals. I am not sure if Modesta is directly applicable to the Optimum product.

Yeah I think the decals will stay.  My detailer uses Modesta, I had it on my last car and I like it better than opticoat (which is on my wife's car).  He says it will go over the decals and protect them as well.

• 4 months later...