Hello from a new newbie

rsclio197

Hi,

I hope I'm doing this right lol I am very new to Renault, so new I haven't bought a car yet but from my user name you can guess my area or vehicle of interest. I have been a hot hatch (with sensible upgrades) driver for years and have enjoyed my time with it, but life's short and it's time to live the dream and upgrade my garage. :)

I will say finding a good RS 197 is a hard task. I hope if I do that it gives me as much or more joy for years to come.

I'm also here to learn about the ins and outs of the RS 197. I've heard about 3rd and 4th gear issues, bad steering wheel and gear knob leather and also seats wearing quickly but almost all of that is easy fix. The gearing and people servicing the timing belt, accessory belts and water pump.. What's the go with these items? It's probably not the right area to ask such questions so please forgive me and or direct me to the appropriate areas..

Either way if I end up with one, then I look forward to joining some events and driving some lovely black top.

:nod::hyper::dance:

I'd say it's more of a matter of when and not if :)

The crunchy gears are less of an issue here compared to overseas. In saying that a couple from here have had that issue.

Belts from memory are every 4 years or 50 000kms, which ever comes first.

Really it all comes down to maintenance. Do you service your cars or will you take to a shop for servicing?

Where are you based? Sydney has 2 great places for RS servicing

Hi Numbnut and Apple.

I'd say it's more of a matter of when and not if :)

Fingers crossed it's when and not if Numbnut

Have you driven one yet?

Yes I have. I've driven a couple and I am impressed. Just as much confidence in it as my hot hatch but I am sure it has higher limits :)

The crunchy gears are less of an issue here compared to overseas. In saying that a couple from here have had that issue.

One of the ones I drive has a buggered 4th gear and is being fixed by Renault OZ and the dealership.

Speaking of belts and pullies has anyone created an upgrade kit for the timing belt etc? aka non plastic?

Really it all comes down to maintenance. Do you service your cars or will you take to a shop for servicing?

A shop at first but I want to get back into doing the basics like oil and filter and work up from there.

And to answer your other question. I'm in Melbs and have already spoken to Virage and will speak to Alpine soon. I'm hoping either shop (or if there are more out there) is as good as I've heard. :)

Hi you guys. Welcome to the forum and all things RenaultSport.

RBR200 you will need an admin to open your post in a new topic so you can isolate your discussion from RSCLIO197.

Nice to see you both here to share. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I can confidently say that for all the larger work that i cant be bothered with (brakes, timing belt etc) i take my car to Colin and his team at Alpine affair, they know the Renault Sports extremely well, prices arent cheap but reasonable (work on one then youll realise why no one is cheap) great customer service as well.

Also Auto Paris on Lexton road in Box hill North just off Middleborough road are ok, customer service is in the low levels and prices are extremely high, especially for all the wear and tare items such as track rods, bushing, engine mounts etc, and the few times ive been there the shop is full of citroens and pugeot, barely any Renaults!

Never been to Virage because theyre a bit too far, but ive heard great things!

Also from a megane owners perspective having driven the 197 and 200, i preffered the 200. A bit more refined and extra grunt!

Minas_G, Hi Minas and thanks for the message. I'm not sure where I will go for servicing and as you say I'll only go there for the major works. I've spoken to them all and they're all characters in their own ways lol.. I would like to test drive a 200 one day. If I become friends with an owner of one maybe they'll let me drive it? Any offers? :P