New Blue Clio 197 owner

ajf07

Hi all,

I am returing to a Clio following a short-lived experience with a 172 project car a couple of years ago. I decided to spend some more money this time around (to my wife's dismay although I'm sure she'll love this car too) and picked up what seems to be a well kept blue Clio 197 from Artarmon in Sydney yesterday. I drove it home to Canberra last night and was delighted at the standard performance of the car :D following some rather boring city and highway driving :roll:

Does anyone know much about the history of this particular car? Probably should have asked earlier but knew it would sell quickly...after all I don't know if there are any or many blue 197s here. Rego is NSW CL10FR.

The dealership has offered an extended 3-year 'dealership' warranty for $1390 including road side assistance and I don't think the budget will allow for an additional $2,400 for the extended 'manufacturer's' warranty. Are any of these worth having? I was told it was a middle-aged owner who traded it in for an Alfa, it has the full-service history up to 40,000km and has travelled 44,000km.

I have found this forum to be awesome over the year and look forward to hopefully contributing more once the car and I get further aquainted. At this stage, I have no real plans for mods except possibly lowering springs at a later date.

Congrats on the purchase! There are a few blue 197s getting around the forum. Don't recall that plate though.

Enjoy 8)

Awesome, looking forward to getting involved with forum events and meeting some other French car enthusiasts. I was also inspired by Walkie's 182 and 197 and would appreciate any hints or tips, both cars looked amazing and wouldn't mind in time doing some similar mods to the stock clio. Will keep posted!

Awesome, looking forward to getting involved with forum events and meeting some other French car enthusiasts. I was also inspired by Walkie's 182 and 197 and would appreciate any hints or tips, both cars looked amazing and wouldn't mind in time doing some similar mods to the stock clio. Will keep posted!

:oops: shucks. Thanks mate!

Happy to lend any advice you need. FYI numbnut now owns my 197 and is doing some great things with it :mrgreen:

Welcome mate and nice choice of your car.

In my opinion an extended warranty may be worth having if included in the purchase price of a new car that you own from scratch and intend to keep for that number of years. Otherwise it coule either be worthwhile or a waist?

My car was taken new with a 6 year dealer warranty and the first owner sold it after just over 1 year and the extended warranty was not transferrable, so in his case, it was wasted. :(

Congrats on the purchase. Surprised I never saw the car, I'm just around corner from Artarmon. All of Walkie's mods on the 197 are in my build thread and I've now added a couple more.

If I were you and had just picked up a stock 197 I would go for a new set of front speakers, springs then exhaust. In that order.

Thanks for all the advice. I know I prob should have got the dealer warranty but didn't want to max out the credit card so decided to purchase some eibach springs instead. Realise it may turn around and bite me but hope not!

Also a mechanic I know from Canberra said they can service and tune the car with some software they source from a guy in Germany?? Does anyone know if this is possible or have any bad experiences with non Renault servicing?