Another new kid on the block - step by step... ooh baby...

dru

Hehehe... the topic was for all you old school guys out there.

Just saying "Hi" now that I've finally decided to sell my current car (FTO) and put a deposit on a nice little Mk1 172 Cup (6/85). Checked it out yesterday and it looked schmick. Opened the bonnet and saw what I think was a BMC/ITG filter. It was cylindrical with a partition and a little hose going to the passenger side light). Test drove it and it was very nice indeed, although the clutch will take a little getting used to.. might adjust it to my liking later on. The engine doesn't rev as high as I thought it would and has a pretty nice and linear delivery of torque.

Current planned mods are... replacing the stock stereo whilst keeping the stalk controls. But before that, I'm taking it on the old road for leisurely Sunday drive :wink:

Hope to meet the rest of you in the near future!

Just want to say Hi to Val too... hehehe.. we can go to the next cruise together Val!

Heya Dru!

That was quick! congrats on movin on it so fast... i'd like to upgrade my stereo too!

Let us know when u get your new ride, post up a pic or two so everyone else can see and we'll go for a mini run before the BLOR cruise!

Did u say skid pan at eastern creek? lol

hey Val yeah I know... when I get my stereo done I'll let you know about it coz I still haven't claimed my b'day present from my gf yet. hahahaha.. 3 months later and I still have an IOU on the car stereo. yeah we'll go for a mini cruise together and take a pic of our rides to post up. maybe even after a Sunday meet we can do it.

thanks for the info ClioF1. I thought that I had one of those ITG/BMC filters and was thinking "SCORE!".

RSC172 - what I meant was that I'm used to high revving engines and I thought that the Clio would have to rev high to make it's power but I was impressed. I'm used to the S13 and FTO revving to 7500 or 8250 rpm :shock: It has very useable torque.

Hey blackie, how many Mk1's owners are there here on this forum?

thanks Toiny...

Storms_of_fate - i believe there were 85 Mk1's brought in early 2001. As far as I know, they were the first RSC's in Oz and all were 172 Cup models. You get a nifty plaque on the rooflining with the number of the car out of 85. Mine is number 6/85. I'm pretty sure the very late 2001 models were the Mk2's (these would have been registered and sold in 2002 though).

I know I'm still a noob so can anybody confirm this?

Dru, I know what you mean with the revving, the car feels like it wants to go way beyong the limiter which is a shame casue in the 5k - redline bracket is where most fun is! And also, the '172 Cup' that came over here - the initial 85 aren't proper Cups from say the UK, but rather badged that way I guess to make them more collectable or something. Still a mighty fine car though :)

The differences have been posted up before, but the main oens are:

No leather

No Xenons

No Climate Control (or air con!!)

No heatshield

No ABS (pretty sure)

All to make the car lighter which worked cause the 172 Cup is still the fastest RSC. Even the 182 Cups we get here are just a normal 182 with Cup pack options thrown on unfortunatly.

Yes they are

Australian Cups aren't actually cups as all. They are normal 182's with Cup Suspension and Cup Spoiler options. They call them Full Fats with Cup Packs in the UK. The cups in the UK lose many options in order to save weight

I think I will stick with Air con and leather thanks

oh yeah... they know each other from high school right? anyway nice to see more people that i can meet up with soon.

just to let you all know I got my Mk1 today finally... was supposed to pick it up tomorrow but I couldn't wait. it screams for a little car! Absolutely love the handling... now trying to think of ways to improve it, eg. thicker rear sway bar, a tad bit lower ride height to lower the centre of gravity... it's got this cool rough idle sound too.

Gday mate. Welcome.

Enjoy your stay.

These air box's are really nice for standard. i pulled mine out last night to fit an aftermarket one, once it was out i had a good look and decided to put it straight back in. The filter element may be questionable but the plumbing work of the induction hoses is awsome. well better than what i had planed anyways.

thanks everybody..

yeah Tim, i looked at the airbox myself and the Mk1 airboxes are great. Not sure why Renault changed the design for the later models (NVH?).

Yeah, my MkI was pretty much the rortiest standard car on the dyno last month.