Renault Clio 2004 won't start when hot??

Bray_99

Hi Guys

I was wondering if any one can help me out

I have a renault Clio 2004 Expression 16V, it starts fine when cold but after driving for about half an hour if I stop somewhere and then go to start it again it won't start just clicks. If I wait 10mins it starts fine

happens pretty regularly, any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Welcome mate.

Possibly a loose connection somewhere that is expanding when warm?

Have a search on here for TDC issues.

I have a similar issue, but only when cold. Started about 6-8 weeks ago. Doesn't seem to matter how long or short I crank for the first time, it starts instantly the second time. It always used to start first time every time.

The only thing I can remember doing around that time was replace the inlet manifold gasket.

I have a similar issue, but only when cold. Started about 6-8 weeks ago. Doesn't seem to matter how long or short I crank for the first time, it starts instantly the second time. It always used to start first time every time.

The only thing I can remember doing around that time was replace the inlet manifold gasket.

Sounds like the fuel pump/rail losing pressure. Is it fastchip mapped?

Sounds like the fuel pump/rail losing pressure. Is it fastchip mapped?

Yes it is Fastchip, always used to start first go. I was also thinking the fuel rail, maybe I'll take it apart and reassemble, maybe something is not quite right?

From memory it just needs to be cleaned up and the lead checked, secured.

Take off the air box and it is the bit of metal with two bolts into the bell housing.

This is a bit of a common issue. Some of the cars have had this since new. There are numerous threads, but I think that the TDC sensor was the culprit most of the time

Take off the air box and it is the bit of metal with two bolts into the bell housing.

This is a bit of a common issue. Some of the cars have had this since new. There are numerous threads, but I think that the TDC sensor was the culprit most of the time

Thanks I found some info on the TDC and seems a cleanup "generally" is all that is required. Sounds like a job for tonight.

Maybe the OP should check this also?

Thanks I found some info on the TDC and seems a cleanup "generally" is all that is required. Sounds like a job for tonight.

Yep, very easy to clean once airbox is out ... you just need very flexible arms to get in there! If you find it's not the new 'blue' TDC sensor then it's worth the upgrade for the new sensor and loom (about $500 through Renault or $20 off E-Bay :)).

Yep, very easy to clean once airbox is out ... you just need very flexible arms to get in there! If you find it's not the new 'blue' TDC sensor then it's worth the upgrade for the new sensor and loom (about $500 through Renault or $20 off E-Bay :)).

Found a TDC + Loom (Renault) on ebay for 64 pounds - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400195597097&ssPageName=ADME:L:CORT:GB:1123

I got TDC sensor and loom for 23GBP including postage to Aus via EBay not that long ago. If you want the details of that seller drop me a PM with your e-mail and I'll forward over. He may be worth checking with too.

Cheers.

Thanks, PM sent

I got TDC sensor and loom for 23GBP including postage to Aus via EBay not that long ago. If you want the details of that seller drop me a PM with your e-mail and I'll forward over. He may be worth checking with too.

Cheers.

Thanks, PM sent

Cool, I have sent you an e-mail. I did mean to say that it may be worth trying to just clean your existing sensor if you have time in the interim ... this will probably at least confirm if that's the issue, although it may only be a temporary fix if you have the old style TDC sensor installed.

Cheers.

Thanks, PM sent

Cool, I have sent you an e-mail. I did mean to say that it may be worth trying to just clean your existing sensor if you have time in the interim ... this will probably at least confirm if that's the issue, although it may only be a temporary fix if you have the old style TDC sensor installed.

Cleaned and replaced TDC sensor, no change this morning when trying to started, failed first time, started instantly second time. Will order the blue one and try that (Mine has the Black one)