Soon-to-be New Owner of an RS250

CorporalPunishment

Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster...

I was planning on holding off my introduction until later when I finally put down an order for a Megane 250. There was a (brief) time when I was tossing up between a few cars but clearly the RS250 won me over quite convincingly. Needless to say I love it, and so I'm 100% decided on getting one. Thought I'd go all out and opt for a 250 Cup Trophee, not sure which options though.

Currently I drive a Red 2006 Holden Astra SRi Turbo which for all intents and purposes has been a nice car to own. I've had it for the last 3 years and it's been good fun. It's been a great first car but now that I'm slightly older, and have saved up quite a bit, I thought it was time for an upgrade. Something a little more driver focused and much more unique, all in all something rather 'special'. I think the RS250 fits the bill quite well, as do all RenaultSport cars imo.

As far as my past experience with Renaults, there is none. My cousin owns a Clio 182 Cup which I drove a number of times when I was learning to drive manual (don't worry I didn't stall or grind gears :) ). It felt very special to drive, extremely eager little scamp. From that point I had my heart set on a Megane 225 (as the Clio was a bit too small for me) but I couldn't find the right one for sale at a reasonable price (2nd hand) so I left it and opted for the more 'mainstream' Astra.

And that brings us back to today. Living in Melbourne, in my final year of uni studying Engineering at Monash University. Money saved up, all I need now is the right price from one of the dealers and a 250 in the right spec on a boat/dock somewhere. Oh and someone to buy my current car, though I might leave that to a trade-in to save the hassle.

Can't wait to share many new moments with my future Renault, wherever it is :) Oh and if anyone has any after-sales horror/good stories relating to a specific dealer then let me know. I plan to order sometime this month to minimise the wait. I've been quoted 2 months by City Auto and 3-4 months by GWS and Waverley Renault.

Oh and thanks to Dish for welcoming me previously when I made my first post in the Victorian Sightings thread.

Hey mate and welcome. I've owned both the 182cup and now a 250 I've had for 4 weeks now and adore it a lot. Mum used to have a turbo Sri astra, not a bad car but not a patch on the 250!

Good choice man, you will not regret it. No real horror stories here. I got mine from Garry Warren Smith Renault, but I'd give berwick Renault a go, they are new and seem keen to get some deals happening.

Good luck,

Dan

Ps what sort of engineering do you do? I do construction management at deakin uni, which involves a fair bit of engineering to, loving it.

Hi TG (don't want to get sued - even by myslef),

Welcome and even moreso when you've got the keys (that stay in your pocket).

What colour are you looking at? As for extras, The recaros are the first thing that pop to mind. Some are actually going for the 18' rims over the 19'... you may want to consider that.

Anyways, pics when you get it is a must... Sweet talk Dish into clicking his clicker.

Most of all... enjoy.

WOLF

Hi TG (don't want to get sued - even byu myslef),

Welcome and even moreso when you've got the keys (that stay in your pocket).

What colour are you looking at? As for extras, The recaros are the first thing that pop to mind. Some are actually going for the 18' rims over the 19'... you may want to consider that.

Anyways, pics when you get it is a must... Sweet talk Dish into clicking his clicker.

Most of all... enjoy.

WOLF

Haha, yeah idk why I chose that username, I kinda regret it now. I should probably request the mods to change it now whilst I'm still new to the forum, if it's allowed that that is.

As for colours I'm cut between 2... The Blue and the Yellow. I've always liked blue on sporty cars but the only blue 250 I've seen in the flesh didn't look all that nice with it (though it wasn't a Trophee). And well the Yellow really looks special but I fear it might stand out too much when I don't want it to (ie when its parked on the street in some strange neighbourhood). I've heard of the better ride on the 18s but I have to say I quite like the look of the 19" rims and I'm willing to trade a little comfort for it. Anyway ride quality is something for my passengers to worry about :P

Actually on the note of the keys, they are rather bulky. What do people do with them... Put them in your pocket like regular keys or stick it in your wallet etc?

Good choice man, you will not regret it. No real horror stories here. I got mine from Garry Warren Smith Renault, but I'd give berwick Renault a go, they are new and seem keen to get some deals happening.

Ps what sort of engineering do you do? I do construction management at deakin uni, which involves a fair bit of engineering to, loving it.

I originally started off doing Mechanical Engineering but then I got an offer to switch to a Computer Systems Engineering Major (retaining Mech as a minor). Appeals to my 2 biggest loves, dorky computer stuff and things that move :) Construction Management sounds pretty challenging, but I'm sure the rewards more than make up for it am I right? Would that be at their Burwood campus?

I'll have to try Berwick Renault, though they are quite far from where I live. I'm closest to GWS and Waverley but I often travel towards Richmond as well.

Yeah mate the majority of my course has been down at the geelong waterfront campus, but have only one more subject to go down there and then it's only a few electives in burwood, so yeah I'll be based at burwood now which is good cause I live near there Cheers. Dan

Yellow all the way.

Funny you are coming from an Astra, I think a few of us have, I used to have one also.

I sponsor Auckland University’s Formula SAE team and they go up against you guys down in Werribee most years. Monash do really well.

My team features in your video

Are you involved.

Welcome. It seems we have the same taste in cars!!

I finally pick my Megane up on Wednesday, I hope you enjoy yours when you get it!

Haha, keeping your Astra? It's past Wednesday now, how's the Megane going? I'm still going between all the dealers trying to find a good deal. More to the point, I'm in the process of prepping my old car for sale (privately most likely).

Also does anyone know the average wait time from placing an order to picking up the car? I'm very picky when it comes to options so I'm sure it will be a factory order.

I finally pick my Megane up on Wednesday, I hope you enjoy yours when you get it!

Haha, keeping your Astra? It's past Wednesday now, how's the Megane going? I'm still going between all the dealers trying to find a good deal. More to the point, I'm in the process of prepping my old car for sale (privately most likely).

Also does anyone know the average wait time from placing an order to picking up the car? I'm very picky when it comes to options so I'm sure it will be a factory order.

Yeah I'm keeping the Astra. The other half will drive that now.

The Megane is just f**king awesome. It's so very different to the Astra, its just brilliant!

I ordered mine in Novemeber, requesting a January build and it arrived in OZ late Feb and I picked it up early March. :hyper:

There's only 3 options man. Leather, Bi-Xenons, Front park assist.

I wanted all of them, so was no prob for me, seeing as how most Renault dealers had ordered most RS250's with all options.

Furthermore, being only 3 options means that you should find a car specced the way you like it. Buying an RS is not like buying a MINI.

Yeah I'm keeping the Astra. The other half will drive that now.

The Megane is just f**king awesome. It's so very different to the Astra, its just brilliant!

I ordered mine in Novemeber, requesting a January build and it arrived in OZ late Feb and I picked it up early March. :hyper:

Haha clearly worth the wait then. Actually that's not all that long (though I'm sure it felt like an eternity), I was expecting it to be much longer especially with all the rave reviews it's getting. Would've thought they'd be struggling to meet overseas demand.

There's only 3 options man. Leather, Bi-Xenons, Front park assist.

I wanted all of them, so was no prob for me, seeing as how most Renault dealers had ordered most RS250's with all options.

Furthermore, being only 3 options means that you should find a car specced the way you like it. Buying an RS is not like buying a MINI.

Yeah I assume a yellow one with all the options would be pretty easy to find then. One thing I do wish they'd offer is Satellite Navigation on t. I'm a sucker for large colour displays and against having additional things on my windscreen / dashboard... but meh I'll live I guess :( Then again you do lose the RS Monitor which is so pointlessly cool.

FYI - Other options are wheel choice (3 styles to choose from)

There's a third style? I was only aware of the black 18s and the 19" weird shaped ones

In UK there is another 18" wheel - 10 Spoke, gun metal/"titanium" called "Keza"

See http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/ ... fault.aspx

That's a shame. It's the best looking one to my eyes. And it's grey, which I prefer to the black on the other 18's.

Why is there a problem with speccing a factory order with these? Is it a matter of Renault Aus having to carry too many different types of spares in their local inventory?

That's a shame. It's the best looking one to my eyes. And it's grey, which I prefer to the black on the other 18's.

Why is there a problem with speccing a factory order with these? Is it a matter of Renault Aus having to carry too many different types of spares in their local inventory?

If buy one I certainly intend to ask if I can factory order a Capsicum Red with the Keza wheels along with the black colour coding.

I have a similar combination on my current car - Brilliant Red body with "Titanium" Double-Seven Spoke 18" wheels

I should be able to get the KEZA rims.

Cheers,

WOLF

Wolf... what about the after market RS gear knob for the 250?

JOHN

A part number would help. Even a pic is a start.

Best to send me an email..but yeah, i don't see why not.

Cheers,

WOLF

Tried to check the link for the Keza wheels, but no joy... I've been having trouble loading any UK Renault/Renaultsport links for the last couple of months - anyone else experiencing this?

I wish we could get those here, they look great. That said I'm not really complaining about having the 19"s. Ride quality is only something passengers have to worry about :P . I only wish they'd allow factory Sat Nav as an option on the Megane RS models and maybe a sunroof...

Tried to check the link for the Keza wheels, but no joy... I've been having trouble loading any UK Renault/Renaultsport links for the last couple of months - anyone else experiencing this?

I've noticed that their website seems to have issues in certain browsers. I updated my Flash player and its fine now. Then again I have mac so everything's a bit strange.

Btw I snapped a few pictures of RenaultSport's presence at this year's Top Gear Live, if anyone wants to see them. I have no idea where I should post them on this forum, or whether to just include it in this thread. My SLR skills aren't impressive or anything but the cars certainly were!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok so as a few of you would know by now... I finally placed an order on an RS250 Cup Trophee! :D

Going for a blue one with Xenons, Leather and Sensors. Couldn't decide between blue and yellow, but finally decided on the blue because it just looked so classy. That and to avoid my dad making jokes about the yellow one looking like a taxi (I am from Melbourne after all) :P .

Originally the dealer couldn't find one in that spec (in either colour), nor one that another dealer would be willing to trade for my dealer's black Trophee (with the same options). But today I got news that Renault Australia had a Blue one coming in soon and not assigned to a dealer yet (?). Apparently it's either a March or April build. Not sure when it would be delivered exactly but worst case they said end of June.

Does anyone here know from experience how long it would take to wind up at a dealer and ready to go if it were built in either March or April?

Needless to say, I AM SO EXCITED!!!! I'm trading in my Astra for the RS250. I'll miss it, it was my first car and gave me the 'freedom' I yearned for when I turned 18. A lot of penny-saving goes a long way but I finally (will) have the car I've been dreaming about for so long! Oh and I am excited about having 50 or so more horsepower to play with hehe

Now the short wait begins :)

Congratulations, hope it arrives quickly.

I wouldn't have minded a SRi turbo astra as my 'freedom enabler' :P

I guess it's worse when you don't know when it's arriving.

Yeah the Astra was a good car, and surprisingly the after sales service was excellent. Had so many things replaced out of warranty. My only gripe was people kept thinking it was just an Astra, which was good at times because it didn't draw unwanted attention and was a bit of a sleeper.

As an 18 year old it taught me how to handle a car with too much power for it's chassis. Oh the amount of times it made my heart stop when it lost grip... Will be good to finally own a car which can make use of all it's power.

Why won't my RS arrive yet!?!?! *cries* :P