New 182 Cup owner in Melb

TimR31

Hi all, figured it would be polite to make my first post in here before I begin bombarding the rest of the forum with my many and varied questions... :D

Just bought an RSC182 Cup a few weeks ago, very happy so far, had the timing belt etc done for the 100k service before I bought it so here's hoping the servicing costs are OK.

My forum name is based on the fact that my name is Tim (duh), and up to this point all I have owned is R31 Skylines. Great cars for how cheap they are (just like RSCs), unfortunately they are all getting a bit long in the tooth... Plus my budget had grown and I decided I wanted something different (yet still awesome).

As a nice aside, the Lotus Renault F1 car this year has the model designation R31 8) It is also likely to be painted in Black/Gold livery, the same colour as my new love... I think it was Renault's way of welcoming me to the fold (or a sign I should get some money on Kubica as champ) :P

Look foward to meeting people at some sort of get-together in the future, and I'm sure you'll be seeing quite a few questions from me about the place as I am still learning about these wonderful cars.

Hi Tim,

welcome ! I'm biased but I think RSC182 Cups are the best :) Whereabouts you based? Most of the answers to your questions should already be discussed, just used the search feature, but just in case, there are a few knowlegeable people here in the forum.

I'm in Strathmore, which is near Essendon (in fact I'm very close to Essendon DFO if people know where that is).

And yes, I'm sure every question has been answered before, I'll try not to ask anything too inane, but let's face it, if we all used the search function properly, it wouldn't be very social would it?? :P

As far as 182 Cups go, well if they weren't the best, I wouldn't have spent the extra 4 or so grand they are worth over a 172! Oh cruise control, what an irresistable temptress you proved to be... Shame about the lack of the 6-stacker though (see, I have been lurking/searching!).

Welcome! I also agree, 182 Cups are the best :P

Instead of the cd stacker you can get a special cable with a headphone socket, then plug any mp3 player (phone, ipod or whathaveyou) into that. Easy to install and very handy. Cheap, too.

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14204

Welcome Tim! Enjoy the Clio. She'll be different to the R31s but just as much, if not more, fun!!

As far as 182 Cups go, well if they weren't the best, I wouldn't have spent the extra 4 or so grand they are worth over a 172! Oh cruise control, what an irresistable temptress you proved to be... Shame about the lack of the 6-stacker though (see, I have been lurking/searching!).

Hi and welcome to OzRS Tim :)

Another 182 Cup 'custodian' here, and a biased one at that :mrgreen: I've had 3x 172s before and the subtle differences in the 182 are well appreciated.

Cruise control is handy, but I'll admit that it took me quite some time to overcome my resistance to it. It's the vibe, Your Honour - I just don't like giving up my control over the right pedal hehe

As for the lack of a stacker, they do crop up from time to time in the For Sale section, at reasonable prices. I've now got one installed in mine, housed under the passenger seat like in the 172, plugged into the AUX input in the rear of the 'Update List' head unit. The duct shaped surround for the spare tyre goo now just fits under the driver's seat. I prefer the sound of CDs as opposed to MP3s, and even on the crappo factory speakers, the difference is noticeable. I've been driving my g/f's Megane this week and missed the stacker so much that I started making a series of compilation CDs in MP3 format - but they sound like FM radio quality compared to CDs :popcorn:

Keep an eye on the Social Events section for upcoming drives etc.

Cheers, Dish.

Hi Tim,

Welcome aboard and glad to see another member join the fold.

Feel free to look around and ask away...we do.

Are you planning on keeping her stock or are we looking to play and tune a bit?

Anyways, see you around the forum, i too would go the plug-in over the stacker, but totally up to you.

Enjoy (still) and cheers on the purchase,

WOLF

I used to have an 89 TI in Champagne silver. Loved it to death. Fortunately it's gone to a very good home, and is owned by one of Australia's biggest R31 freaks now :)

Both of mine were grey, first a Ti then a Silo, the Ti was the fun one though, RB20DET+5-spd from an R32 with a high-flowed turbo and a front mount (and various other engine goodies), with Koni suspension, but she got stolen in 2007 and I went a bit defensive, thinking I would just buy something to get me around, and picked up a cheap, completely stock 1990 Silo automatic.

But as always happens when commonsense prevails over passion, I got severely bored with it, and decided it was time for a change. I first looked into MA61 Supras as I have a big hard-on for 80s cars, and wanted something a bit less common. But the only good ones were in WA, and even then they didn't look great as daily drivers. So my search expanded to MA70s, AW11 MR2s, then back to Skylines, and finally I settled on an LS400, seeking comfort and luxury without exorbitant price. But that niggling thing of knowing that when commonsense prevails over passion (and particularly, auto prevails over manual...), things don't work out, lead me to keep looking.

I'd always heard good things about the RS cars from a mate who used to work at Autoparis, and I've got another friend who's had a long standing love affair with a 205 GTI, so I wasn't unfamiliar with the French hot-hatch. But the thing that really got me excited was a used car review of the 172 by David Morley, who despite only giving it 3.5 stars, had barely a bad word to say about it. Further research and the discovery of this fine forum, lead me to believe I would be very happy with an RSC, and I can't say I'm at all disappointed.

Apologies to the tl;dr crowd, I am bored at work! Thanks to all for the warm welcome. :D

Are you planning on keeping her stock or are we looking to play and tune a bit?

Anyways, see you around the forum, i too would go the plug-in over the stacker, but totally up to you.

Definately stock for a while, no plans for mods but never say never...

And yeah, I think the MP3 player idea would be OK, but like Dish I think the quality of CDs is worth at least having a look around for a cheap stacker. I'd even be happy with a stock single CD that works! Would just be nice to retain the stalk control and central display.

Cruise control is handy, but I'll admit that it took me quite some time to overcome my resistance to it. It's the vibe, Your Honour - I just don't like giving up my control over the right pedal hehe

Well the car I learned to drive in had cruise, and I have always resented giving it up. It means you don't have to stare at the speedo while you drive, unlike most other Victorians... Not sure how I feel about the wheel controls though; I thought I would love them but it has proven slightly awkward for me. But I guess I use the audio controls more often, so nice to have that on a stalk.

But the thing that really got me excited was a used car review of the 172 by David Morley, who despite only giving it 3.5 stars, had barely a bad word to say about it.

I love Morley's writing, even though i know he polarises people's opinions. He was one of the reasons i went for the Clio as well, as I can even remember his reviews of the original batch of 172s that came to Australia in 2001 :)

I'll always have a soft spot for skylineS, especially when they look like this:

169087_10150126173479414_614704413_7785472_1386363_n.jpg

I love Morley's writing, even though i know he polarises people's opinions. He was one of the reasons i went for the Clio as well, as I can even remember his reviews of the original batch of 172s that came to Australia in 2001 :)

I'll always have a soft spot for skylineS, especially when they look like this:

169087_10150126173479414_614704413_7785472_1386363_n.jpg

Yeah I think his writing is great too; my favourite of the Australian motoring journos we've got going at the moment. Always comes off as effortless yet witty I think :)

And yeah, the R30s are pretty horn; I've still never driven an FJ20DET one, but I gather they are the nuts.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had the first random stranger come up to me and complement my car, not bad considering it is completely filthy!

He wasn't even into French cars, owns an Audi TT, but said he had heard good things, and sounded like he might be considering an RS as his next car.

Anyway, random complements was not something I expected and/or wanted with this car, but it's nice that they are well regarded by those in the know :)