New to site - hopefully a new RS Clio owner soon!

Banana

Hi all,

Have always been a fan of smaller types vehicles with a lot of go.

Especially the Clio Sport. I test drove a 172 back in 2003, and I was totally impressed as I couldnt believe a small hatch could go be so quick and be pushed so hard into corners. It was easily the most impressive small performance hatch available at the time.

Am looking to 'join the club' by finally purchasing one. As I only drive my car around town, I only need something small and nippy. The Clio Sport fits the bill perfectly.

BTW my other half has a brand new Golf Gti as her work vehicle, so any long distance driving is done in that one... :lol:

Welcome to the forum...

HAHHAHHA, love your username :)

SORRY but the username has distracted me, in a positive way....

Don’t take this the wrong way but may I ask why the name, Banana???

Maybe croissant would have been a better option since you’re considering a Renault Sport :wink:

Where abouts do you live, and what are you driving ATM????

Cheers.

LOL, its been my nickname for quite a long time now........

At the moment I have a 97 Astra GSi, which at the time was quite a good hatch.

Its a bit old & tired now, so Im wanting to get into something a little smaller that goes a bit harder and is more agile.

Im at the stage where I have got my $$$$ together so I am just waiting till the right one comes up.

BTW I live in Geelong...

Cheers

Hmmm... wonder if that's why they nicknamed you Banana? :mrgreen:

Always good start with some kidding around.

So what do you hope to get for your $$$ (btw - have a budget in mind?)

Care about colour, this that the other?

So anyway, good luck with the hunt...and watch your back for those crafty monkeys. :wink:

Cheers and welcome,

WOLF

ps: keeping her stock or looking to mod?

Hi all,

Just a quick note to say that I have agreed to purchase a 05 Clio Sport 182 Cup, it has done about 120,000 k's, which was a little high, but as I only drive around town I dont rack up many k's, so its not an issue in that sense.

Colour is titanium silver & overall its a little rough round the edges, it probably hasnt had a great deal of love. Obviously thats going to change.

Steering wheel has the standard patch worn thru, and the alloys have a bit of kerb damage, but its nothing too drastic.

Just wondering about timing belt changes, what sort of interval should there be between changes.

Will pick up next week, so Im really looking forward to it, as you can all imagine. :D

4 years timing belt and tensioners

2 years acc belt and tensioners.

Crankshaft pulleys somewhere around the 4 year or "while you're changing that, change this too" timeframe.

Very basic info, but gives you an idea.

Cheers,

WOLF

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Hoping you can help me with a few issues with my 182 Cup.

The dealer had to replace an engine mount prior to delivery, and I read that if the engine mount is broken then it could lead to exhaust damage. There is a un-natural rasping noise coming from the exhaust until I get into the higher rev range, then it dissapears. Could this be due to the exhaust being damaged?

I dont want to take it to an exhaust business straight away as they will tell me something is wrong with it regardless, so they can sell me something.

At very low speed or dry steering it appears that the power steering is making a bit of a mechaincal noise. Is this normal?

There doesnt appear to be any spare wheel, and when I read the Clio Sport manual said that you need to fix a puncture with the aerosol puncture repair cans.

Does anyone know which brands are suitable?

The manual says that the aerosols have to be approved by Renault. I need to get a couple to put in the car just in case.

I just dont want to be gouged by renault over the price if I can avoid it.

Outside of these small concerns, I love the Clio, it has awesome performance for the size and price and the ability to stay flat through a corner is incredible, I now look forward to low speed corners to see how quick I can get around them :drool:

Sound like an engine mount, especially the clunking noise during steering.

Rasping noise at a guess could be the exhaust mount....but hard to hear from up here in Briswetlands.

No spare tyre, and it shouldn't be that much for the can of goo from Renault. Phone around your area.

Cheers,

WOLF

Thanks Wolf,

I know the description of the exhaust note was a bit vague, but I will get underneath & check it out. Rasping is probably not the right description, its more of a metallic jingling type noise, but I will get one of my mates to look over it with me.

Funny that you thought it could be the engine mount, considering the dealer claimed that they had fixed it.

Then again what can you say about used car salesmen... :D

Hey Banana, the noise could be from the exhaust heat shielding... there is a lot of it under the car and it tends to get a bit loose. Often it will only make a noise at a particular rev and can be found without too much effort.

Check th erear exhaust mount. It's the square one that hold one of the metal stems on the exhaust.

See if the black inside is cracked. Easy to see and touch (not when exhaust is hot!!), which then eliminates that as a possibility. No mate required, one of the easiest inspections one can do.

Cheers,

WOLF

Thanks guys,

I can tell that Im going to need your expertise a over the next few months until I get my Clio to a point that Im really happy with it.

Its just annoying little things, but I guess you all would be similar in that you are never satisfied until you have all the issues sorted.

Cheers

Mark

Congrats on the car!

It sounds like heat shield (as Nisch said) - and there's a lot of it right through the car. Does it make the noise on idle? If so just lay on the ground with the car on and isolate where abouts it is (one of the screws may have fallen out causing it to be loose).

Teki had his rear exhaust shield screw fall out a few times - ended up fixing it by putting a big washing under the screw to completely cover of the fixing whole in the exhaust shielf itself :wink:

Hi Banana and congrats on your purchase, I'm sure you'll enjoy your 182 like I am.

In regards to the tire repair/no spare topic, you should check out "182 pucture scenario" thread, in Newbies forum. I had asked many questions and recieved great advice from members, so it may help you too.

Cheers, dars

Hey Dars,

Thanks for the info, I just read that thread and realised a few things.

1. I was keeping my eye on that Blue 182 in Warrnambool, but I couldnt get the "hugs & kisses" to loosen the purse strings.

2. I also have had issues with radio code

I bought my 182 Cup from Werribee Mitsubishi and it had to go back 2 weeks after I got it to get the battery replaced. They didnt bother with inputting the radio security code either. I simply emailed Renault Australia and I had to provide the VIN number and then they gave the code to me.

Also FWIW, I was also being a real noob the other night looking for the spare wheel, then I found the RS Clio additional manual and read about the need for the aerosols. I phoned the local renault dealer and they want $190 for the 'puncture repair kit'.

I wouldve thought that any of the standard reinflation cans would be ok. So bugger $190....

BTW I have the tool kit in a pouch in the hatch also.

Cheers

Banana