Sup guys

Vtecnut

HI names Ibrahim, been on the forum for a while lurking in the shadows reading as much as I could.

I've now saved enough money to either purchase a Clio Sport 197 or a Clio sport f1 R27 as my first car….

But now I have no idea which one to buy. So if I could get those who have either of the cars to give there opinions and also the good and bad points of both cars it would be a great.

Can’t wait to be driving one of these in the next few months.

Thanks Ibrahim

:)

mate depends what your after.

Motor mag have had a long term test of both and to pharaphrase "if you bought the 197 over the R27 you should be shot with your own sh*t."

However the 197wsare being flogged at really cheap deals if you haggle hard, R27 are being reduced as well but not to the same extent.

cup suspension on the R27 will be firmer and more direct. In saying that theres nothing really wrong with the 197.

totally up to you mate, drive both and see whst you think. I think Moosey mentioned North Shore Renault may be able to give a back to back test in both, i think with only 40 in the country most dealers arent keen to let you drive them...?

Chris

Haha I was on the floor laughing when i read your post. I might give north Syd Renault a call and see if I can organise one with them and then decided for myself that way.

Griffyn thanks again

And yess those recaross are hot.

I very nearly bought a white R27 at the end of June. I named my price early but the dealer stalled me for a couple of weeks and in the end I bought something else. They called to accept my offer two days too late...

I think if you can afford the extra for the R27 it'll feel a more special car to own, with its Recaros, cup suspension and unique colours. It may not return the entire premium over a regular 197 at resale, but will probably fetch a chunk more and attract a lot of prospective buyers. Not that that's on your mind now.

The regular 197 was a bit plain for my liking, but I did discuss a silver or blue with the black speedlines fitted as a cheaper alternative with the dealer. Either way, it's a supreme handling car and I still look at the unsold white R27 in the dealer's window when I drive past. T'was a close thing.

To my eyes the Clio 200 is too ugly to own.

I've now saved enough money to either purchase a Clio Sport 197 or a Clio sport f1 R27 as my first car…

:shock::lol: I thought i was lucky getting into a 182! Goodluck with it mate I'd go the R27 just for seats alone :drool: but i wouldn't pay over 40g for one when some 197s have gone for 30...

Have they released a date on the release of the Clio 200??

and by the sound of it, im starting to lean towards the R27 :D would be mint to own one in yellow if there are any left that is

So u haven't had a look at carsales yet?? When are you planning to buy?

For me, it would be hard to justify an $8-10k premium for an R27 over a 197, and I do reeeeally like the R27.

I'd buy a red or blue 197 for cheap & then get H&R coilovers (~$2k) and paint the wheels (~$500). Done.

So u haven't had a look at carsales yet?? When are you planning to buy?

For me, it would be hard to justify an $8-10k premium for an R27 over a 197, and I do reeeeally like the R27.

I'd buy a red or blue 197 for cheap & then get H&R coilovers (~$2k) and paint the wheels (~$500). Done.

I found the premium hard to stomach too, but for a lot of people such as myself, adding coil overs isn't an option. I don't like the idea of someone in a random workshop fiddling with mechanical bits that Renault spent a lot of time and money developing. I should add, it isn't that I don't believe there are people out there with a lot of skill, it just isn't quite the same as knowing you have a beautifully engineered factory setup. Come resale time things will be tougher too, when buyers wonder whether they're buying something that's improved or actually turned for the worse. An R27 will be rare and unusual years later, where a modified 197 will be like the many 172's with mods struggling to sell.

Maybe I think about resale too much. :mrgreen:

planning to buy after uni exams... checked carsales but no yellow ones in nsw only interstate

Also thought about adding kw-suspension V3 to the 197 and add lighter wheels but everything is done on the R27 save trouble (headahces) later on with resale as Tubbsy has said.

Hmmm... tricky. If the prices were still the same as say 6mths ago, then thr R27 wins an easier battle if one can afford the extra cash. But the 8k-10k difference should not be overlooked when considering resale and bargain for buck now. In a few years, they will be worth as much as the ones that people paid full monty for... so it may help to think, what do you want out of it. Drove the 197 and i was impressed. Thought it would be good, but it was better. R27 must be great! (sidenote: may look at testing one of these asap). So do want it for all the bells and whistles, or a daily driver with a smoother ride also part of the equation?

When would you plan on re-selling? (if you have an idea of that)

Would you want to upgrade in a few years, or is it part of the family for a long while?

I assume the R27 status plays a big part too - and rightly so.

But would getting a 197 and having extra cash left over to mod it inside and out (with your own bells and whistles) be appealing to you as well. Save 10k, spend 5, have a unique 197 with 5k left.

Not saying which way to go, as i am not you...nor does my point of view fit your life style.

Just more food for thought as the savings are too good to overlook, as they are a genuine GREAT saving. Something to brag and smile about while crusing around.

Cheers,

WOLF.

ps: What would i get? - A new BUELL as they are also being liquidated with massive savings. 30% OFF! But a 172/182 takes precedence rght now. Good luck, not that you need it. :wink:

planning to buy after uni exams... checked carsales but no yellow ones in nsw only interstate

Also thought about adding kw-suspension V3 to the 197 and add lighter wheels but everything is done on the R27 save trouble (headahces) later on with resale as Tubbsy has said.

Don't worry about the cars being interstate. It's easy enough to negotiate with the stealers over the phone! Especially for a new car 8) use it as an angle you can take to negotiate, eg. "well I'd have to fly there which will cost me a few hundred bucks" etc.

And you'll have time after uni exams to fly to Melb/Bris and enjoy the drive home!

Wolf,

The R27 looks great but if I do buy one i wouldn’t want to touch it (meaning no fun)...

but if I bought the 197 I know within the first few weeks ill have a K-w V3 kit installed with new shoes costing me close to 5K (both) at least. Then that would mean it would be the R27 just with out the awesome yellow paint and decals on it.

Saving me around 5K for years to come for those small things that go wrong AND the service cost.

I really need to get out there and test drive both if I can, ill know what I want after I drive them both. (I Think)

also can some inlighten me about what needs to be done when buying a car interstate(e.g rego and paper work)

If memory serves. Fly in, buy car, drive home, then you have 2 weeks (well up here in Bris) to get a safety certificate done, and change reg to QLD (or whatever state).

Others imput please if this is NOT the case with brand new cars. Come to think of it, may be able to get temp reg and drive to state of choice - register there. Yes? no?

As for tuning....you're right - drive 1st, see if you really want to change the suspension at all. You may be surprised. Some would even prefer a softer ride for their 197s... yes, that's true.

BTW the F1 decals retail alone for around $3500, but there is a diffrent decal kit for the 197 that can purchased for just over $210. But we'll save that for another time.

hmm like i said test drive first for both if i can but i doubt ill get a drive in the R27...

also if i purchase interstate which when looking at carsales is cheaper then buyin within NSW, obvious choice would then be to purchase interstate.

ok need need advise for the procedures and steps taken to purchase a car interstate and what not.

to see if its worth it in the end.

dam $3500 for decals ( now i see where they get the 10k difference in price from)

Not 100% sure about other states but my brother who recently purchased a 1998 Rover Mini from NSW, and drove it down to Melb, got it reregistered by VicRoads only because he didn't cancel the NSW registration first. He said that recent changes makes it near impossible to register (in VIC at least) a car purchased interstate if its rego has either expired or been cancelled. Not sure if this is because it was originally a personal import or if this applies across the board, but looks like they are cracking down for whatever reason.

Ah yes.. that maks sense. Ok. So buy interstate - ship or drive home. Re-register, get refund for original reg from original stae of purchase.

Up here in QLD, its about $50 to $100 to get a safety certificate for a brand new car.

Shipping from Sydney to Bris is around $450. Just another cost to cosider, or fly in and have a road trip back.

Cheers,

WOLF

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... hicle.html

ok went and took a look on the RTA NSW website and found this... doesn’t sound to hard all I need to do is provide identification and the dealer ship will ( should ) complete the rest.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/getnewrego/newvehicle.html

ok went and took a look on the RTA NSW website and found this... doesn’t sound to hard all I need to do is provide identification and the dealer ship will ( should ) complete the rest.

Reading this, i think this is for when you purchase in your own state (NSW)

Not too sure that any dealers up here would know (or do) that for a vehicle travelling down south.

Give the dealership a call and see what they are happy to do.

Cheers and good luck.

WOLF