Hi there!

Flozza

Hello everyone!

I'm a 21 year old student and pizza delivery driver ( :wink: ) from Brisbane, and I'm about to join the ranks of Renaultsport owners out there.

I've been a fan of the Clio 172 and 182 eversince I first read about them in various magazines (especially "Evo" from the UK), but I didn't think they'd fall within my budget at first.

But after the insurance company had a minor heart attack when I told them about my plans to get an old WRX, I had a look around, and lo and behold - I can actually afford to buy and run a Clio!

At the moment there are two contenders left:

The first is a 2001 Phase II 172 with 98,000km, sitting at a dealership. They want about $18,000 for it, but my dad (who's a car salesman) reckons we can get that down a bit further. Redbook.com.au seems to agree with him.

The second is a 2005 Phase 3 182 with 58,000km. But at $23,000 it really pushes my budget further than I'm comfortable with. Is it worth it?

I'm having a look at the cars tomorrow, so any advice would be much appreciated. Which are the right questions to ask? What sort of services and maintenance jobs should the cars have had done?

Hi mate,

welcome to ozrs :mrgreen:

i definietly reakon u can get better deals than what u currently have on your hands - question is, would u be willing to go interstate for one?

Several guys on here have their's for sale, so check the for sale sectio and u should be able to find them in there :wink:

enjoy the forum,

Cheers,

Brendan

Hi there!

Congrats on making the right decision to hop into a RSC! You will definitely be pleased you made the right choice...

Hi mate,

i definietly reakon u can get better deals than what u currently have on your hands - question is, would u be willing to go interstate for one?

Are you sure? Check out the price of that 182!!!!! However, is that a Std 182, or a 182 Cup?

Cheers,

Steve

Are you sure? Check out the price of that 182!!!!! However, is that a Std 182, or a 182 Cup?

Looks like the standard one.

It sure would be neat, but I'm not sure I really want to push myself that far financially. I'm just a humble student, afterall.

*silly carsales link, I can't get it to work.

oh ok fair enough.

It is just a Standard 182 Non-Cup.

Up to you. I think the price is justified - less Kms, newer model, 182... and appparently 'highway' kms and a 'mature' owner. Should those be true, I think it would be a great purchase!

Maybe check the tyres... just to make sure it wasn't driven 'hard'

I think for your budget the 172 is the obvious answer, having driven both there is very little between the two cars. Fred from Yozzasprt preffers the 172, recons less body roll and better gearbox (from memeory).

Gambit's would be ideal as it's the right price and has the mods on it, you also know the cars history as it's all here.

Good luck mate, you wont'regret it :P

Check on the (I think overpriced) 2001 car if the timing belt has ever been replaced. They are due at 100K km or four years whichever comes first.

If it hasn't been done, I'd even be wary of taking it on an unaccompanied test drive, just in case it goes off and the vendor tries to invoke the 2F rule.......

Okay, I had a look over my finances and decided the 182 is out of my range.

The 172 looks quite nice. It had the 100k service done, it's getting a brand-new clutch as well as another few little niggles that will get it sorted. We went on a test-drive, and though I'm not an expert, I couldn't spot anything wrong (I had a buying guide from Evo Magazine with me).

He reckons he'll make it $17,990 drive-away with a 3-year warranty and 12 months roadside assist (which I quite like, because I'm in no mood for having the car not being drivable at some point while I save up money for repairs), all the repairs and a one-year membership in the Renault Club of Qld (salespeople... :roll: ). He says that would lose him a bit of money after the repairs, but he'd do it because it's been sitting at the dealer for too long.

It's also got some exhaust mod done, but I didn't quite get what it was. Sounds a lot louder than standard though. That's the thing I probably need to ask another question about, because I heard the exhausts aren't the most reliable on those cars.

I'm not sure whether I can get a similar deal up here in Queensland, especially with the warranty.

It had the 100k service done

Confirm that the timing belt and tensioners have been done as well. Just because it has had the 100K km service does not mean the belt has been done too. Technically being a 2001 car it should have ben replaced in 2005 under the four year rule.

If they have to make a loss on the car to meet the market place, that is their problem for pricing it too high in the past. Don't pay extra for the dust and spiders accumulated in the car whilst it has been there.

Confirm that the timing belt and tensioners have been done as well. Just because it has had the 100K km service does not mean the belt has been done too. Technically being a 2001 car it should have ben replaced in 2005 under the four year rule.

We asked (Evo said that as well), and apparently they did it. They said okay to an independent RACQ inspection, so I'll have them check as well.

I think ur payin a tad to much, and that is mainly for the extended warranty. I bought my car 1 year from tuesday and i paid $17600 driveaway for an 02" model with 72k on the clock and this was from a renault dealer.

Cheers Hash

Yep! You can't go past Gambit's car! That thing is tidy 8) Perfect mods too!

It does look neat, but ultimately it's in Victoria and I'm in Brisbane. Tyranny of distance and all that. :P

I think ur payin a tad to much, and that is mainly for the extended warranty. I bought my car 1 year from tuesday and i paid $17600 driveaway for an 02" model with 72k on the clock and this was from a renault dealer.

Well, as I said I quite like the warranty. The thing is that according to carsales, autotrader and so on there are no more RSCs for sale at dealers at the moment, and only two are being sold privately...at 17,200 and 17,500 respectively.

So I guess my choice is limited.

The thing is that according to carsales, autotrader and so on there are no more RSCs for sale at dealers at the moment, and only two are being sold privately...at 17,200 and 17,500 respectively.

I'm guessing u mean in Brisbane... I think ur only solution is to start lookin interstate mate...

Transport is not the expensive & I'm sure someone from the forum would be happy to go have a look at the car for u PLUS an NRMA inspection as well...

The thing is that according to carsales, autotrader and so on there are no more RSCs for sale at dealers at the moment, and only two are being sold privately...at 17,200 and 17,500 respectively.

I'm guessing u mean in Brisbane... I think ur only solution is to start lookin interstate mate...

Transport is not the expensive & I'm sure someone from the forum would be happy to go have a look at the car for u PLUS an NRMA inspection as well...

I'd also be more then happy to drive the car to you too :wink:

Good luck with your hunt though! Maybe if this isn't the car for you - I'm sure another will come along for you. But should this be 'it', good luck!