New GT owner and a question!

BlueMetal77

Hello people. We've just purchased a pre-loved Renault Megane GT (2018) and can't wait to get it just after Xmas, it's in the titanium grey colour. We've not seen this car in flash as it was an online purchase from a regional dealer. We test drove a Gt Line local and quite liked it.. so here's to hoping the GT will be better!

I do have a couple of questions..

- is the titanium grey, more blue than grey?

- does the GT have head-Up display as standard or is it an add on?

- are there new releases of the infotainment system with new maps, Android Auto etc

- lastly whoever owns a Megane GT, what's the best driving mode for you..

Hope to post some pictures next week when we have it in our hands.. but can't wait to know more!

Cheers and merry Xmas in advance!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, griffyn said:

We run a Meg 3 GT220, so cant really compare directly, but hope you enjoy yours!

Ah the GT220 - those are pretty good for their tech and performance when they were released - I don't know why these don't become mainstream cars, people still flock to the Golf (probably running after the badge) .. but we've had Peugeot before and French cars are pretty good and a good "alternative" to the standard european lot out there ..

On 23/12/2022 at 6:21 PM, BlueMetal77 said:

I do have a couple of questions..

- is the titanium grey, more blue than grey?

- does the GT have head-Up display as standard or is it an add on?

- are there new releases of the infotainment system with new maps, Android Auto etc

- lastly whoever owns a Megane GT, what's the best driving mode for you..

Titanium Grey can look very blue tinged depending on the light. I wouldn't say it's bad or good it just is. 

The GT I test drove didn't have a HUD and I don't remember this being an option on any Aus megane even RS. 

I think the very last year (2018?) of GTs in Australia may have had Carplay/Android auto support but the RS definitely does. You might be able to flash it with new firmware from overseas but your local Renault dealer will be as useless as mammaries on a bull. 

Don't own one, but I find most cars with a Dual Clutch to be a bit of a pain in their most aggressive setting if being used as an auto. From memory the GT was the same and was very happy tootling along in normal mode as an auto, and the more aggressive map was fun if using the paddles and having a go. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.. I have a feeling you're right about the HUD. None of the Australian reviews I've seen mention it, all other reviews talk about it and show it. I wonder why they'd leave it out in the top spec when they were already charging heaps!

The car will mostly be driven by the wife so she'll be happy in the normal mode, having said that she does step on the pedal rather aggressively when pulling off for no reason.. that has led to many tense cabin moments.. argh... So yeah I guess won't be using the sports mode much.. plus we want to keep the running economical..

So I've read the worst part of the Megane are the keys, or whatever they think they wanted them to be.. I'm already wondering if I can get aftermarket ones programmed. Good idea or not really?

22 hours ago, tfdpny said:

RS. 

I think the very last year (2018?) of GTs in Australia may have had Carplay/Android auto support but the RS definitely does.

I've seen a couple of threads about enabling Android Auto.. seems like we need that obd interface and the ddt4all it whatever that is.. my Megane is definitely the MY17, so hopefully it's not restricted and I don't have to root it. I will try to update the firmware at least, heard there are some Bluetooth connectivity bugs that get resolved. Fingers crossed.

Hi, I have a GT since new from 2017. 

No HUD. Wasn’t available in Australia. 
Re drive mode, go Perso. Steering set on sport, drivetrain normal and exhaust sport. 

A couple of things: 

- avoid using Stop Start - switch it off every time you drive. I really feel it is detrimental to the the timing chains on these. 
- tyres: when it comes time for new ones, go either Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Goodyear Asymmetric 5s. I have the later now (had the former before) and they really take a great handling car to the next level. Much better than original Continentals. Michelin a bit more comfortable, Goodyears less comfortable but sharper, more responsive. Both grip amazing. 

Enjoy! 

12 hours ago, LouisK said:

avoid using Stop Start - switch it off every time you drive. I really feel it is detrimental to the the timing chains on these. 

I've read that a couple of times in another forum as well.. is that more mechanical or does it actually affect the driving experience? Something to do with dual clutch transmissions is it?

I have start/stop on my BMW and it's annoying at times that the car stops for 1 second sometimes but it doesn't affect the driving experience nor is it associated with anything negative for the engine.. maybe that it eats up the battery over a period of time... 

How many KMs have you done so far.. services been okay?

• 2 weeks later...

So finally got the car, had to get it in the new year. Looks awesome. Some pics below from pickup.

Turns out I already have Android Auto enabled in the RLink.. this is the 2018 model. Even though Renault website says I have a new systems update available (vin check), the R link toolbox says my system is up-to-date. Weird. 

IMG_20230104_112702.jpg

IMG_20230104_113940.jpg

IMG_20230104_113953.jpg

IMG_20230104_114004.jpg

• Like 1