Newbie with a Clio R.S. 200

noeyedeer

Hi all,

I've got myself a 2014 Clio R.S. 200 Sport, and I love it! I came across from the Citroen side of things - I had 11 emotional years with a Xantia CT Turbo, but the old girl became too unreliable for my daily drive.

One downside - shortly after purchase, the car threw a P1862 code which continued to recur over the next few weeks. With no luck on google, I took it to the dealer to diagnose. The result:

P1862 - Clutch Motor 1 Torque Limit

Although I had no driving symptoms, I couldn't see this improving and needed the car driveable for work. A couple of thousand of dollars later, it has a new gearbox ECU and clutch motors. I thought I could share my experience for the benefit of others, if they come across this code. I know I could have got a better result going to a wrecker and/or consulting RenoTech, but it's a difficult time of the year and I couldn't do without a car.

Regardless - stoked to be a part of this community and looking forward to some good times with the Clio. It is a dream to drive - I love the handling and the EDC box is quite fun. Happy to be here!

IMG_1134.JPEG

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, noeyedeer said:

Hi all,

I've got myself a 2014 Clio R.S. 200 Sport, and I love it! I came across from the Citroen side of things - I had 11 emotional years with a Xantia CT Turbo, but the old girl became too unreliable for my daily drive.

One downside - shortly after purchase, the car threw a P1862 code which continued to recur over the next few weeks. With no luck on google, I took it to the dealer to diagnose. The result:

P1862 - Clutch Motor 1 Torque Limit

Although I had no driving symptoms, I couldn't see this improving and needed the car driveable for work. A couple of thousand of dollars later, it has a new gearbox ECU and clutch motors. I thought I could share my experience for the benefit of others, if they come across this code. I know I could have got a better result going to a wrecker and/or consulting RenoTech, but it's a difficult time of the year and I couldn't do without a car.

Regardless - stoked to be a part of this community and looking forward to some good times with the Clio. It is a dream to drive - I love the handling and the EDC box is quite fun. Happy to be here!

IMG_1134.JPEG

Shame about the gearbox. All Clio RS versions have some gearbox issues.

They are cracking otherwise though.

Could you tell us the car's mileage please?

21 hours ago, chris043 said:

Could you tell us the car's mileage please?

113k. In all my trawling I could only find one example of a Clio throwing that code, which was unresolved: https://cliosport.net/threads/very-confused-with-error-code.838620/ 

So, hopefully this is a rare issue.

1 hour ago, noeyedeer said:

113k. In all my trawling I could only find one example of a Clio throwing that code, which was unresolved: https://cliosport.net/threads/very-confused-with-error-code.838620/ 

So, hopefully this is a rare issue.

Yeah, I think it is rare as I have not heard of it happening before. I have heard of just the clutches failing but normally after stressing them in some way by allowing them to slip on inclines etc. Your dramas were obviously caused by the previous owner sadly. 😑

Edited by chris043

• 1 month later...

Adding to this topic, my Clio popped up with a "check anti pollution system" message a couple of weeks ago. Scanned with an OBDII tool and got the same P1862 error. Got it looked at by the dealer and they found the same issue as OP's: gearbox ECU has failed. They mentioned that they had replaced a few cars in the past year with this same issue so looks like this is around the time that the Clio IV gearbox issues pop up (around 7 years after launch).

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...

Ditto here, same anti-pollution, same OBDC-II code. No driving symptoms. Car done 139,000Km. 

I notice the code came up last winter, i.e. in cold mornings. I thought it might be a failing / clogged Cat. I took the car for an "enthusiastic" drive, thinking that heating up the Cat more might help. It did, code went away, now back this winter :( I took the car to Paul at Auto Paris, he said its either the clutch servo motors or the TCM / ECU. We can swap around the servo motor feeds and see if the fault moves to the other motor. That's where I am at.

Bloody annoying tbh. Car I like, but never a big fan of the DCT, it's always been a bit rough IMO when in the lower gears. Glad the Ford guys found a bunch of issues with the Getrag 6DGCT250 tranny before Renault jumped on them. Those old black shaft seal early failures look like they were sorted with the new brown seals before the RS came out.