The journey from Italy to France

JRo

Greetings all,

As a new owner of a 182 Cup I had a look on the web and it did not take long to find this site. After a few days of flicking through it is very releaving to know that there is such a knowledgable group of people interested in these fine automobiles. :nod:

Anyhow enough smoke blowing for now - a little about me; I have owned several Alfas over the past few years but my affair with these ill tempered wenches is over for now. My first was a '85 2.0L GTV, 50-50 weight distribution and a heap of character. Over about three years I rebuilt and replaced everything, except for the engine which never missed a beat and had the most glorious burbbing sound. Ahh first love. Then I pranged it and was heartbroken.

Not content with the amount of money I had poured into that car, I got another Alfa. This one was a little newer, an '02 V6 156 Monza, which i rekon must be the best sounding car this side of a Ferrari - 24 valve of glorious metallic opera that sends shivers down your spine. Much better for the daily commute but it handled like a barge (V6+6sp gearbox all over the front wheels) combined with the most bloody rubbish suspension on record meant that it was straight line aural joy only. One long understeer drift/ trip down the great ocean road and I knew it had to go.

So I was looking for the best steer around that could accomodate my track day aspirations and my daily driver reality. I always wanted to own a Clio Sport and so the decision was made. And 2000ks later, I am wondering why I wasted so much of my life driving Alfas!!! :oops: (...but the new Brera is nice...)

Anyhow, I am very interested in talking track days with anyone who into that kind of thing - I need to get a helmet and some gear in the next few weeks and am looking at putting a cage in perhaps at some stage? (safety first!) Anyone done this? (guess I should read some more posts first) Anyone got anything planned in Vic anytime? Anyone want to plan something?

I am keen to do a few suspension mods and I have been following the group buy that ends tomorrow, but I need to get out and push it a bit first so I can feel the difference when I bolt bits on - otherwise I won't be able to feel the difference my $200 bit of metal has made! I will follow the comments with great interest.

Anyhow that it for me - look forward to meeting some of you soon. :D

James.

Thanks for the welcome fellas,

Mr Pea, thanks for the invite - would love to come but unfortunately will be chained to my desk all week it looks like, working for the man. :( Next time for sure.

I was just looking at the Calder Park site and apparently they have some practice days too on Wednesdays. Know if anyone from here has been?

Welcome to the forum James!

Good to have so many new members all of a sudden. So what colour did you purchase?

Have you been doing high mileage? I find I can't stop driving the Clio, something I believe I share with other Clio owners!

Thanks Teki - yeah I got a Limited Edition F1 Cup - not the numbered ones, one of the other ones if that makes sense - in Racing Blue with the Stripes in tact. Done 2000 kms in a month, and I can't stop.

Was going to wait till the 197s came out but read a few reviews and was not that impressed - so thought why not own one of the originals. It is nice to know that these cars are going to be highly coverted and sought after for years to come - like the 205GTIs are today.

BTW does anyone have a list of the differences between the F1 and the Cup - is it just fancy seatbelts, dots on the seats and a different spoiler??

Thanks Teki - yeah I got a Limited Edition F1 Cup - not the numbered ones, one of the other ones if that makes sense - in Racing Blue with the Stripes in tact. Done 2000 kms in a month, and I can't stop.

Was going to wait till the 197s came out but read a few reviews and was not that impressed - so thought why not own one of the originals. It is nice to know that these cars are going to be highly coverted and sought after for years to come - like the 205GTIs are today.

BTW does anyone have a list of the differences between the F1 and the Cup - is it just fancy seatbelts, dots on the seats and a different spoiler??

Hey James,

Sweet! I thought they were sold a while ago - guess not!

Yea, that was the same as me. I considered the 172, then jumped to the 182... then thought I should wait for the 197, but decided that the 182 just appealed to me more. It's smaller, looks prettier (to me) and is more raw, yet more feature packed!

Hope the 182 Cup turns into a 205 GTi in the future!

Ok, the LE (Limited Edition) is what you own. The only difference between it and the Cup should be the fact they only came in Orange or French Racing Blue, and they had a white exterior stripe, and Trophy (or was it V6:?) rear spoiler. They were also supposed to have a front splitter (Black hard rubber at the bottom of the front bumper) however I've seen a lot that haven't got this - I do believe they came in the car and were dealer-fitted (some anyway)

No interior differences... Seatbelts are a 182 update over the 172, and the seats were the same as the 172 pews.

Cheers Teki -

Mine has light grey seatbelts and light grey dots on the seats - the dealer told me they were special too 8)

I just think they will get dirty easier! Anyhow are these 182 equip too ?

'RS' Scuff plates too - I was told these were 'unique' Don't tell me a dealer told a porkie to sell a car? :x

Haha I don't care if he did :lol:

Renaultsport Scuff plates - Standard.

HowEVER, My mate with a 182 Cup in Silver has different ones to me :? Weird...

But yes, the seats are the same in every model, colour and all. Only the Mk1 172 had a different seat colour and headrests I think.

So yea, you were conned :P

But hey, glad you did - now you have a 182 Cup LE!

Hmmm.... I walked in and was always going to buy the car - would they lie or are they mis-informed?

Being Renault, probably both.

I'm assuming their lack of knowledge means they lie to get the sale :P

Hell, apparently my car has 17 inch rims, and 6 airbags! :roll:

Hmmm.... I walked in and was always going to buy the car - would they lie or are they mis-informed?

Being Renault, probably both.

I'm assuming their lack of knowledge means they lie to get the sale :P

Hell, apparently my car has 17 inch rims, and 6 airbags! :roll:

and 4 wheel drive and a turbo !! :lol: