My first 225 - Wanting more turbo noises on a budget

RSRB

G'day guys!

My name is Mladen and I am a proud owner of a 2006 RS Megane 225 cup. I'm based in Melbourne Australia and I bloody love this car!!
I have a few questions, I would like to hear more turbo spools and flutter.. from what I have gathered a K-tec induction kit will do the job, problem is it will cost an arm and a leg to import this in from the U.K. and I was wondering if I can achieve the same or similar results with a K&N setup? which will be half the cost (minus the heat shield plate). 

Also wouldn't mind hearing a few more crackles and pops as the cabin is completely soundproofed haha. Would love to upgrade the muffler but don't know how big or what type or even where to tell the exhaust shop to chop off.

What suggestion would you all have to achieve these 2 things?

My budget is $500aud which comes to just shy of £300

I have attached a photo of my RS and look forward to connecting with you all, much appreciated! 

Mladen

20180712_174121.jpg

• Like 3

Hello friend and welcome.

Any off the shelf filter will give you more noise if that is all you are after, you really don't need an entire kit, just remove the batter box and insert the filter in its place.

As far as exhausts go, the most common method is to remove one of the middle resonators from the car.

I'd say no more than $120 AUD to get a filter and cut/replace a section of pipe.

For instant (but non-reversible) gratification, you can rip the sound insulating foam out of the stock air box.  Gives a little more whoosh, fizz and whistle.

I started with a K&N pod filter but it was probably too big and therefore I needed to shorten the intake hose and bodge up a reducer to connect the filter.  All fairly simple but a bit of a PITA particularly for a totally illegal solution.

I now have the Ktec kit and it's a nice bit of gear but I couldn't get the heat shield to fit so I'd probably still get nicked if pulled over even though it is securely bolted to the firewall.

The sound with a pod filter is awesome though, suits my juvenile tendencies perfectly.

But no ricer style flutters for me, for that you need a BOV which is where I firmly draw the line.....each to their own though!

• 2 months later...

Did you do the rear muffler? Or the centre? I am gonna do one or the other too, plus a bov and maybe induction kit, then gonna look at flash tuners.....

• 1 month later...

I’ve considered a muffler chop. Because the car is a bit quiet even though mine had the some mods done to the center exhaust which allows the car to burble at idle. Don’t hear much though when on the go.  How much does the mod cost?  And is it the sound droney at cruising speeds though? 

On 28/09/2018 at 9:21 PM, Gezza said:

Did you do the rear muffler? Or the centre? I am gonna do one or the other too, plus a bov and maybe induction kit, then gonna look at flash tuners.....

I would recommend chopping the rear muffler if you want bangs and pops, and want to keep the turbo whistle (but see below).

On 09/11/2018 at 11:37 AM, Fays said:

I’ve considered a muffler chop. Because the car is a bit quiet even though mine had the some mods done to the center exhaust which allows the car to burble at idle. Don’t hear much though when on the go.  How much does the mod cost?  And is it the sound droney at cruising speeds though? 

Chopping the muffler does cause drone at a certain engine speed but it's not really an issue. From memory it was in third gear at about 70kph (when normally you'd be accelerating or changing to fourth anyhow, not just letting it overrun).

My aftermarket K-tec system drones much worse as it's 1800-1900rpm in all gears, so driving quietly is not really an option for me!