Q's about RSC ownership

Hi All,

Gotta say I'm a long time reader, first time typer.

Ever since I test drove a RSC 182 a year ago in Brissy and then subsequently many others in Cup and standard guise, at the expense of dealers, I have been hooked.

So began the search for money for a new RSC.

But first I had to make sure that I was making the right decision and looked at many others, ie VW Polo GTI, Golf GTI, RS Megane, Integra Type S, Sportivo's GTi180 and the list goes on, but none have had the same raw appeal and HUGE :D factor that the RCS as a total package has letalone great bfyb.

So 12 months later here I am and with half the money I need but I have since decided that I can no longer wait and with relatively high levels of depreciation on the new Renaults I have discovered that there are a few good 172's about for under the $20k mark - even some with warranty!!

So I have decided to take the plunge after much deliberation and I am now on the hunt. I have looked at heaps of threads and done quite a few searches, however I still have some questions that I haven't been able to find satisfactory answers to.

I'm fairly keen to take my car out on the track with regularity - I mean why else would you have a car like that so I like anyone I guess want to buy one in good nick, so can anyone please tell me (or direct me to) what common problems I should look out for when buying a secondhand RSC172?

Secondly can anyone recommend some good dealers/service technicians in Vic - preferably in the East. I have noticed that there has been similar threads but they seem to be all Brissy/Sydney oriented.

Any links or feedback on this would be great, and I hope I have done this right and it posts coz I've done this sh!t before.

Ta

Hey 333,

Never mind the forum members - Saturdays can be a little... quiet.

I don't own a 172 so I couldn't help you mate. Sorry.

I guess things you should look for are general wear and tear, dash rattles, exhaust etc. Just make sure the 172 you get has warranty! Where abouts are you located?

As for the common 172 problems, I'm pretty sure you can find something about it in the Technical Section... or the RSCII section. Do a search - should come up with plenty of stuff.

Welcome, and keep us informed with your progress. Any questions - ask away!

Cheers,

Steven

Ta Steven.

Will keep looking.

Having a look at one tomorrow with low kays and a little over a year of extended 5 year warranty, which he tells me is transferrable - but I will of course check that out.

BTW I'm in Vic - in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne.

I'm fairly keen to take my car out on the track with regularity - I mean why else would you have a car like that so I like anyone I guess want to buy one in good nick, so can anyone please tell me (or direct me to) what common problems I should look out for when buying a secondhand RSC172?

Secondly can anyone recommend some good dealers/service technicians in Vic - preferably in the East. I have noticed that there has been similar threads but they seem to be all Brissy/Sydney oriented.

Welcome to OzRS

If you speak to most dealers/mechanics they will say that you should stay away from any signs that the car has been "on the track" What does that mean? Fire extinguisher, Bonnet clips/fasteners etc. Some OzRS members regularly track their cars, as long as shes properly maintained there should not be any issues. Insurance is the issue. Common problems have been sorted out by warranty in most cases. There are extreme case here of owners with cars that seem to be at the dealers with warranty issues? 172 & 182 's. I would check out the service records and speak to the service managers about the car. You mention that you are looking - private or dealer? Some 172 will still have extended warranty's. Just check the service books.

As for servicing, Dealers - Mentone Motor Group, GWS Ringwood, City Automobiles Richmond. Motor Mechanics - Alpine Affaire Ringwood, Riversdale Prestige Riversdale/Camberwell, Auto Paris Box Hill.

PS Most of this info is on this forum, the Search engine does work.

Good luck :mrgreen: e.sport

Thanks for the info Ren & ClioF1 - will be sure to check that out.

From what I've read it seems that the Mentone Renault have been good to deal with - does nobody in Eastern Melbourne use Oakleigh Renault? That would probably be my closest.

e.Sport:

Sorry haven't properly worked out the cut and paste quote thingee - very much a newbie

Thanks for the great info and yes I am intending on buying a s/hand 172 as I said I can't wait long enough to get the dineros for a new one. I have found one for sale in Vic with low kays and a remainder of an extended warranty that I have been told by the seller is transferrable but I will be sure to check myself.

Thanks again for the info - there are things there that I probably wouldn't have thought to look for and there were a couple of service guys I didn't know that existed.

I have worked as an automotive electronic engineer in the past and I am a fastidious owner so I am a keen observer of little niggly things and defaults in cars but I'm no mechanic so hopefully if things go well I hope to be on the track soon in my very own 172.