Rs Megane Rpm Needle Flutter

FPajkovski

Hi all, 

This is my first Renault Megane I've owned, ever since I went for a drive in the RB8 I fell in love and I ended up buying a Trophy 8:08. I've enjoyed owning the car and I've never had a dull moment, a few months back I was experiencing cold start issues and I booked my car and and received an update for it but since then I notice when revving onwards of 4000rpm the needle tends to flutter or (fluctuate according to the Renault Service team) it also makes a sound which is distinct and can be heard , I showed them the video and they told me they will look into and Renault wanted a copy. After all the testing they've they according to the diagnostics the car is fine working fine but it still does it, and I'm not sure why it's doing it as before the update I never had this issue. 

If anyone has had this happen please let me know as I've got no clue what it is and neither do they according to them its fine could be a bi product of the update. I will be attaching a video just need to downsize it to fit.

Kind Regards,

Filip

That's an interesting one and I'm not really positioned to comment owning a 172 however if it were my car I'd focus on two specific areas.

Unless things have changed a great deal over the years with regards to gauges with swinging needles, they generally work from electromagnetic principles which naturally create fluctuations. These are addressed in the gauge by other technologies to stop this. In this case it is called 'dampening'. Your gauge certainly sounds like the damping system has failed. So the issue may simply be in the gauge whilst the car is fine. The only way to repair this would be to replace the gauge module. Or but less cost effective, repair it but that's not really an option. If the car is under warranty ask for a replacement gauge binnacle.

The hard starts could also be a contributor. If the car takes its RPM data from the fly wheel then it's possible the Top Dead Centre sensor is on its way out. The 172/182 has this as a common issue but we don't see the gauge fluctuations.

Just some food for thought and poss stimulate discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mase
  • Like 1

Hi all, 

This is my first Renault Megane I've owned, ever since I went for a drive in the RB8 I fell in love and I ended up buying a Trophy 8:08. I've enjoyed owning the car and I've never had a dull moment, a few months back I was experiencing cold start issues and I booked my car and and received an update for it but since then I notice when revving onwards of 4000rpm the needle tends to flutter or (fluctuate according to the Renault Service team) it also makes a sound which is distinct and can be heard , I showed them the video and they told me they will look into and Renault wanted a copy. After all the testing they've they according to the diagnostics the car is fine working fine but it still does it, and I'm not sure why it's doing it as before the update I never had this issue. 

If anyone has had this happen please let me know as I've got no clue what it is and neither do they according to them its fine could be a bi product of the update. I will be attaching a video just need to downsize it to fit.

Kind Regards,

Filip

I would get Renault to uninstall the update - then reinstall it. A computer issue???

• 3 weeks later...