Hi All

jt09

G'day all,

I've lurked a while and thought it was time to introduce myself.

I've never owned a Renault before but am keen to find something to use as a daily and occasional fun car (maybe the odd track day or hillclimb). I've got a couple on the shortlist so will see where it leads.

JT

• Like 3

Cool, what rides are you looking at? Pretty much all RS models fit your shopping list!

Have fun looking around, the people on this thread are very knowledgeable and helpful

I'm tossing up between a 2002 172 and a 2013 200 (opposite ends of the spectrum I know!). I've driven both and prefer the 200 but know that the 172 is the more sensible option financially and particularly with the odd trackday on the radar.

Trackday?

This is built for the track. If you don't know the R27, it came with a very tight suspension set up.

Knock a couple of grand off this one and you got a ripper.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2009/SSE-AD-2950688/?Cr=10

Edited by apple3337

That is a big range! 

Definitely clio? Meganes are also great options. 

There are a few cars you should check out in the classifieds section. There are a few Clio IIs on there also. 

The Clio III like apple has mentioned is great for track work - check out the brembos on it. 

apple that R27 looks awesome and I intend to have a look at it over the weekend if we can tee up a suitable time.

So I started out keen on a 197/200 and then started to think logically - if I'm going to track it ocassionally then a 172/182 will be cheaper on parts and tyres in particular. Which has left me with a bit of a head or heart dilemma.

I think parts and tyres will be the same regardless of what you buy.

The Recaro's on that are worn on the bolsters. A common problem if you are not careful getting in and out. 

Check if the timing belt has ever been changed. If not it's WAY overdue. Factor $700 to $800.

A professioanl pre purchase inspection is a must.

Edited by apple3337

Welcome to the forum JT. Which one has your heart? Because go with that. Over time your head will tell you they are all awesome and good in their own way...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys.

Any of the Victorian members able to provide some guidance on transferring ownership/rego?

If I were to buy a car privately without RWC, I'd have 14 days to get the RWC then transfer rego. What happens if I don't get the RWC and transfer within 14 days? 

I've only recently moved to Melbourne so am not familiar with the RWC & rego process here.

"If I were to buy a car privately without RWC, I'd have 14 days to get the RWC then transfer rego. What happens if I don't get the RWC and transfer within 14 days?"  I think a call to Vicroads is best. 

You would want to be very careful buying a car without a RWC.  As long as the car has been inspected for major problems you should be fine. But if the RWC inspector finds major issues with the car you could be up for expensive repairs even before you get it in the road. If you are buying a car in Victoria, just insist the seller provides a current RWC as part of the deal. If they don't want to, I'd be curious as to why....

Thanks Apple,

I'm considering a very cheap 172 from an acquaintance - no RWC due to super low price - a risk I'm willing to take given he's only after a few hundred bucks (stock except for exhaust, full service history, minor panel damage down one side, drives fine but needs tyres and rear pads in the near future).

I'm starting to think that if tyres and pads aren't enough to get it a RWC, then I could always just sell it for parts. Roughly what would a generally solid, unregistered 172 be worth? 

A few years back (quite a few) when I was younger and less cautious, I bought a car on credit card in Adelaide and drove it home to Melbourne overnight. Took it to my mechanic, he roadworthy'd it, paid a fee at Vic roads and that was it. I guess if you don't transfer in time then you'd have to register from scratch, which is probably more costly and may involve an inspection at Vic roads.

Edited by R182

I'm starting to think that if tyres and pads aren't enough to get it a RWC, then I could always just sell it for parts. Roughly what would a generally solid, unregistered 172 be worth? 

Tyres and pads are cheap, it's the service history and particularly the engine belts that are the main determinant of value for 172s. A belt change is around $1,500 so a 172 that needs the work done is easliy worth $1,500 less than one with good belts (should be more like $2,000 because the new owner runs the risk of belts breaking while driving to the repairer). Check the service history, if the belt history is documented and they are <100k and <4 years (both age and distance) then happy days.

Old belts break and the engine damage is significant to the point where the cost of repair or replacement is almost the cost of a used car with the belts done.

To summarise, if the belt history is good then get the tyres done to pass RWC and enjoy, or sell the car as-is but make clear in the lisiting that the belts are good -- you'll get a lot more interest and more money.

It'd be a shame to break the car.

Modded exhaust could also be an issue if the cat has been removed. That would fail a RWC too. Not sure what the cost to reinstate on a 172 is but not trivial I expect