1St Foray Into The Renault Marque

fatspider

Hi everybody just purchased a new pearl white 275 trophy but probably for different reasons than everyone within this forum, as a mature age enthusiast it was time that our loved 86 GTS manual got moved on as entry and exit had become impossible with old age.

Love the new car but both cars have their strong points and I am sure I will become more attached as the miles roll on.

Purchased the car in Sydney and the drive home to East Gippsland, Victoria has already incurred 3 demerit points and the accompanying fine, should have known better.

The reason for the purchase was for the ease of entry but into something that was still exciting to drive as I live amoungst some of the best roads in Aus  :nod:   

• Like 4

Mate, legend!  You'd have to be the first person in forum history to have bought an RS275 for its ease of entry and exit...   :mrgreen:  Enjoy - a great thing, and perhaps you can look forward to many more demerits!

I mean fun drives...  :roll:

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome! Its good to see the more mature person looking to enjoy their driving as I'm in the same category. I've had my 265 for 2 years and it seems that part of the cost of ownership is about 3 points every 12 months or so. I've no doubt you will enjoy the drive as I do. The firm ride can be a bit of an issue but the driving enjoyment far outweighs that problem. Initially, a small memory foam cushion to sit on, may ease the transition. Just get out there and enjoy it, like we of the RS experience, do. ☺

Welcome! Its good to see the more mature person looking to enjoy their driving as I'm in the same category. I've had my 265 for 2 years and it seems that part of the cost of ownership is about 3 points every 12 months or so. I've no doubt you will enjoy the drive as I do. The firm ride can be a bit of an issue but the driving enjoyment far outweighs that problem. Initially, a small memory foam cushion to sit on, may ease the transition. Just get out there and enjoy it, like we of the RS experience, do. ☺

Well Geoff we may have more in common than old age and infirm bodies,  we actually have kids and grandchildren living at Killcare on the Central Coast and the highlights of my year as well as the visits to see the family is the drive up the coast to Sydney then the Old Pacific hwy to near Gosford which just has to be done in a vehicle that has a soul.  You never know we may cross paths at some stage. Incidentally the RS rides marginally better than the 86.

cheers  Dave

Huge welcome Dave ! Mature owners particularly needed here to balance the youthful exuberance of some members ( like my grandson who is about 16 years away from driving the ph1 Clio we've bought him and put away )

As to the 86 , my old neighbours ( as in 87 years old ) bought a manual red GT86 as their "last car" and enjoyed hopping into my Exige , not so easy to get out again ... but they managed .

You'll love the megane - they do anything from fast touring to track days and everything in between and really really well

Edited by rob 240

Hi Geoff,

Well I'm another old timer (70), sold our MGA Coupe a couple of years ago because I could no longer get in and out without some difficulty. I also had, and still have a Falcon XR6Turbo which I love to get out in.

A year ago I purchased an old 1976 VW Beetle and being an ex high performance mechanic, Porsches, etc I decided that the VW needed a few more herbs and stopping power. I wanted something to remind me of my old 911.  So after a year modifying the Veedub to 4 wheel discs, adjustable race suspension and a few mods to the engine, 7,000RPM and 110HP I have a fun classic car.

Two weeks ago we decided to trade my wifes new VW Beetle in on a Clio RS200. Hasn't got enough Km's on it yet to give it a good run, but what I have experienced so far exceeds my expectations. We live in the best place in Australia for these cars, Tasmania. Super roads and few gestapo just waiting for you.

I hope you continue to enjoy your 265 and IMO you're never too old to appreciate a good car.

• Like 3

Well Geoff we may have more in common than old age and infirm bodies,  we actually have kids and grandchildren living at Killcare on the Central Coast and the highlights of my year as well as the visits to see the family is the drive up the coast to Sydney then the Old Pacific hwy to near Gosford which just has to be done in a vehicle that has a soul.  You never know we may cross paths at some stage. Incidentally the RS rides marginally better than the 86.

cheers  Dave

Well I haven't got grandkids yet but I think my kids may be working on it ☺. If you are coming to the area pm me and we could do a run down the OPH, although as you probably know most of it is restricted to 60 mph. Plenty of corners you can still enjoy. I think I am in denial about the infirm body bit, can't go down without a fight.

cheers  Dave

I might not have the grand kids but I do share a love of a coastal drive and since Cairnsy lives at one end of the old pac and I live at the other( as it exits the  H Shire) hope we can set up a meet n greet when you are up this way. I hear Patonga pub calling

Edited by TC265

Hi Geoff,

Well I'm another old timer (70), sold our MGA Coupe a couple of years ago because I could no longer get in and out without some difficulty. I also had, and still have a Falcon XR6Turbo which I love to get out in.

A year ago I purchased an old 1976 VW Beetle and being an ex high performance mechanic, Porsches, etc I decided that the VW needed a few more herbs and stopping power. I wanted something to remind me of my old 911.  So after a year modifying the Veedub to 4 wheel discs, adjustable race suspension and a few mods to the engine, 7,000RPM and 110HP I have a fun classic car.

Two weeks ago we decided to trade my wifes new VW Beetle in on a Clio RS200. Hasn't got enough Km's on it yet to give it a good run, but what I have experienced so far exceeds my expectations. We live in the best place in Australia for these cars, Tasmania. Super roads and few gestapo just waiting for you.

I hope you continue to enjoy your 265 and IMO you're never too old to appreciate a good car.

Well I have had my 265 for 2 years now and have enjoyed every minute despite a couple of sobering (and costly) misdemeanors. The half dozen track days I've done in the last 12 to 14 months have been the icing on the cake. In retrospect, even though it would have been good fun, it's probably just as well I didn't have the equivalent when I was younger - probably would have killed myself. Will continue to enjoy and hope you do likewise. ☺

I might not have the grand kids but I do share a love of a coastal drive and since Cairnsy lives at one end of the old pac and I live at the other( as it exits the  H Shire) hope we can set up a meet n greet when you are up this way. I hear Patonga pub calling

sounds like a plan,  Patonga pub a top spot, unfortunately last visit to Killcare was 2 weeks ago when I picked up the RS so might not be back up for a couple of months but I will save it to the memory bank.

cheers

Welcome fatspider!

We have both: I drive a 265 and my wife has a BRZ. I'm 65 and 185cm and find the 265 (Recaros) much easier to get out of than the BRZ because even though the seats in the BRZ are not as restrictive, they are so low that it's almost like getting up off the floor. My wife (155cm) can get out of the BRZ with ease but really struggles to get out of the Recaros. Horses for courses!

Welcome fatspider!

We have both: I drive a 265 and my wife has a BRZ. I'm 65 and 185cm and find the 265 (Recaros) much easier to get out of than the BRZ because even though the seats in the BRZ are not as restrictive, they are so low that it's almost like getting up off the floor. My wife (155cm) can get out of the BRZ with ease but really struggles to get out of the Recaros. Horses for courses!

Mike your facts and figures sound near identical to ours and we can identify with your comments perfectly but unfortunately I have too many cars and the least user friendly one just had to go and I miss the 86 immensely, the gearshift and ratios in that car were near perfection.