Tuning A New Renault With Under 10,000Km Who Has Done It

cpw

who has had a tune done on there car with under 10,000km how has it been as the more km you put on the car

I have been told that the rs engine will make more power once it has loosened up and its from around 8,000km to 10,000km and it does seem to make sense as people on this forum talking how it feels better stronger faster the more km you put on your car 

I was told that it is best to get a tune on my rs 265 at 10,000km so I will get maximum benefit from my tune this has been advised by a 2 x Renault tuning people

So im just curious to see how your tune was when it was done under 10,000km

Cheers

cpw

Yeah my old 250 I tuned after only like 3000k

It was a ripper of a car.

who has had a tune done on there car with under 10,000km how has it been as the more km you put on the car

I have been told that the rs engine will make more power once it has loosened up and its from around 8,000km to 10,000km and it does seem to make sense as people on this forum talking how it feels better stronger faster the more km you put on your car 

I was told that it is best to get a tune on my rs 265 at 10,000km so I will get maximum benefit from my tune this has been advised by a 2 x Renault tuning people

So im just curious to see how your tune was when it was done under 10,000km

Cheers

cpw

8-10K to bed in?   It's not a diesel we are talking about here.

What difference will it make if it is done on day 1 or at 100000KMs? The relative difference will be the same.

My VW was tuned day #2 at 160KM and was considered run in by 500KM and it went on to a long life with quite a few track days on Rs @ 125 deg oil temp and inherent oil surge issues.

Just as a matter of interest don't all our engines have a dyno power run at 0 KM before we even get them and "run them in"!!!   

Its not about running a engine in its about the engine making more power once it loosens up after x amount of km and how getting a tune before this with x amount of km will be

Renault are known to have tight engines and can take up to 10,000 km to fully loosen up NOT RUN IN there is a difference  

A engine should be run in by 1,000km

Can someone please explain why after 5,000 8,000 10,000 km the rs 250/265 engine no tune seams to feel better/stronger/more power as people have experienced on this forum (is it because its looser and revs more freely)

im just interested as this info has come from some very well known tuners who do custom dyno tunes on Renault rs 250/265 vehicles

As said mate - they loosen up. I gave you the info you needed. Take it as you will

Amen.

Danny im not having a go at your post cant see why your fired up but was explaining  to stuart1 what It was about

ps..And thanks for the info danny pm sent

Edited by cpw

Not fired up at all mate. PM replied to.

Work it out CPW...

Its not about running a engine in its about the engine making more power once it loosens up after x amount of km and how getting a tune before this with x amount of km will be

Renault are known to have tight engines and can take up to 10,000 km to fully loosen up NOT RUN IN there is a difference  

A engine should be run in by 1,000km

Can someone please explain why after 5,000 8,000 10,000 km the rs 250/265 engine no tune seams to feel better/stronger/more power as people have experienced on this forum (is it because its looser and revs more freely)

im just interested as this info has come from some very well known tuners who do custom dyno tunes on Renault rs 250/265 vehicles

10K is your first service and what some of these tuners do could actually prevent manufacturers installing code updates (usually first service) if they are available plus there is more chance of problems occurring in this initial period.

The only reason I can see is the tuner wanting you to get all bugs sorted out before they apply a tune is as how they protect that tune as they may say it will "void your power train warranty".

Can you tell me of anyone selling a product or service that says don't buy it now but later!!!

FYI a basic ECU tuned RS265 has very little noticeable power gain at the top end of the rev range but is significantly better in the midrange due to a healthy torque increase and that has nothing to do with how many KMs the engine has covered.

Edited by stuart1

Running in and loosening up are the same thing as far as I'm concerned, there is just a lot of loosing up in what people consider the running in period. Over the engine's life the internal friction, pumping losses etc will change. The rate of this change will be significant in the early stages (up to 1000km or so), with perceivable reduction to internal friction. This process will continue for 10k, 20k, 30k km (or more) depending on a huge number of variables. At the same time the engine will be losing efficiency in other areas due to things like non-perfect sealing of valves. So in the early part of the engine life, all is merry and it will be getting better with use. Eventually there will be a tipping point where it starts to get worse with use.

Getting the tune early may bring that tipping point forward ever so slightly, but basically the difference would be so minor it's not worth factoring in... The only reason I can see for delaying a remap is warranty. As has already been said, if the drivetrain is going to have a major failure due to manufacturing issue, chances are it'll be in the first 5-10,000km.

I remapped my 250 at around 5,000 km for reference.

• Like 1